Sign in to follow this  
Colorsism

Phoenix Suns New Uniforms

Recommended Posts

CLEstones    240

Frankly, I am shocked by the affection for the new Suns uniforms.  It seemingly goes against what everyone routinely rallies against:

  1. Modern, excessively-serif'ed font
  2. Similar but different letters and numbers, with contradictory & inconsistent serifs
  3. Beveled font
  4. Inconsistent design elements
    1. Burst on the shorts, with single stripe
    2. No burst on the jersey, with double stripes

 

People are killing the Nuggets because their ONLY design flaw is a slightly difficult to read wordmark on ONE jersey... but then are loving the Suns... just because they got rid of black?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magic Dynasty    406

Regarding the Suns, I think it's a downgrade. The previous set would've been perfect if not for the black and butt stripe (unpopular opinion?), and this, while good, doesn't top the old one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hoopladawg87    360
Just now, CLEstones said:

Frankly, I am shocked by the affection for the new Suns uniforms.  It seemingly goes against what everyone routinely rallies against:

  1. Modern, excessively-serif'ed font
  2. Similar but different letters and numbers, with contradictory & inconsistent serifs
  3. Beveled font
  4. Inconsistent design elements
    1. Burst on the shorts, with single stripe
    2. No burst on the jersey, with double stripes

 

People are killing the Nuggets because their ONLY design flaw is a slightly difficult to read wordmark on ONE jersey... but then are loving the Suns... just because they got rid of black?

 

an exciting and upgraded color scheme with reckless design elements >>> a boring and downgraded color scheme with conservative design elements

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Webfooter    256

It's still not the greatest of uniforms but Phoenix looks better now that they're a mainly purple-and-orange team instead of the muddled purple-black-and-orange look from the past few seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FinsUp1214    1,760

The Suns are okay, but could have been a lot better. They'd have been vastly improved if the wordmarks and numbers were the same color (and the wordmark not beveled). The butt stripe shouldn't be a thing, either. 

 

The Pelicans look much better with the new wordmark. That's a bigger improvement than I expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kimball    582
Just now, FinsUp1214 said:

The Suns are okay, but could have been a lot better. They'd have been vastly improved if the wordmarks and numbers were the same color (and the wordmark not beveled). The butt stripe shouldn't be a thing, either. 

 

Agreed. I don't hate them, but I miss the sun streak. I sure hope one of the alts have the sun streaks on it or I'm rioting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kimball    582
10 minutes ago, Colorsism said:

 

 Pelicans jerseys officially released. 

 

Much, much better. But, I'm still not a fan of the drab colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjd77    521
58 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

A black PHX alt hopefully, then maybe a orange alternate? 

 

I would guess so..and don't forget the throwback as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
H11K    279
1 hour ago, bowld said:

30-nike-suns-2017-18-uniforms.jpg?itok=v

32-nike-suns-2017-18-uniforms.jpg?itok=k34-nike-suns-2017-18-uniforms.jpg?itok=n45-nike-suns-2017-18-uniforms.jpg?itok=O

Big fan of these, I understand why some may dislike, but to me it's a really big improvement with more purple and no black. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lights Out    2,048

The Suns' new look is a big upgrade. In fact, I think it's already their second-greatest look in franchise history, behind only the Barkley-era uniforms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
habsfan1    1,239

The Suns new uniforms are a gazillion times better than their previous set. No black is a huge improvement. It's great that they kept the classic sun emblem on the shorts and didn't do anything too crazy. If done properly, you usually can't go wrong when doing a modern update of a classic throwback.

 

They just need to get their primary/secondary logos straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DJT    42

The numbers on the front of the Suns jersey still looks oversized to me. Not as bad as that NBA Live screen, but still, shrinking them down a size or two would even make these a lot better IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JTrainGBR83    161

When a team has two good colors to work with that contrast well, I personally love the numbers not having an  outline or shading on the road/icon set:

 

KihtQ0i.pngOivvIxF.png

 

So I was disappointed to see the gray outline on the new set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DustDevil61    433

At least the Suns have a purple road jersey. But it's another look that lost what character the previous set had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JTrainGBR83    161

Could definitely just be the lighting (which raises the question: why use such unnatural lighting conditions for the reveal?) but here is a comparison between the purple on new set and the old (with possibly similar studio lighting):

 

AoAAl5L.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
suns1977    260
2 minutes ago, JTrainGBR83 said:

Could definitely just be the lighting (which raises the question: why use such unnatural lighting conditions for the reveal?) but here is a comparison between the purple on new set and the old (with possibly similar studio lighting):

 

AoAAl5L.png

 

Lots of their old sets looked almost royal blue in some pics, I hated that.  

 

They needed a purple that looked purple, not blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sayahh    344
3 minutes ago, Cardsblues02 said:

Suns new look is incredible. Best look in the NBA, in front of the Lakers, Celtics and Clippers

Your last word lost you all credibility--unless you were being sarcastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this