hettinger_rl

Iowa License Plate Design Options Cause A Stir

ChicagoOakland    382

All three are better and cleaner than what they currently have. (I've seen a ton of IA license plates, I lived in southern Minnesota for a time.)

ia2009-2.jpg

For the record, I would go with the bottom one as well, but the middle one is a close second.

I feel like having the same person design all three was a mistake though, they all definitely look like alternate versions of each other.

Buc    471

Only because I'm no fan of blatant stereotypes--and because I both lived there and ran through Iowa enough times to know better--I vote for the very top. The cityscape lets people know there's more to Iowa than simply corn, corn, corn. All three have the same setback, though--the second that plate goes inside one of those frame thingies, most if not all of that pretty detailing top and bottom will be obscured.

And now to completely contradict myself...

:P

Cosmic    2,504

I like the top one best; I like a plate that tries to show some diversity. I liked the similar NY plates that had Niagara Falls > mountains > NYC on top way more than the Liberty ones. You could argue the Liberty ones might be aesthetically better, but the double blue ones do a better job of representing the state. My favorite plate of all time is the Texas one with the cowboy riding around, with the space shuttle in the sky above; I'm still mad they switched to the plain black-and-white.

KGeeX5    406

The top option is the best one. The 2nd is way to generic and the 3rd is also pretty generic. 

Zeus89725    953

The middle plate is my favorite. It's got the Iowan flag which represents all the areas of Iowa in itself. Plus, it's well designed.

I agree that having more than one designer take the job would've been better, though.

CyGuy5    14

I am an Iowan and I prefer the bottom option. When you think of Iowa, what do you think of? Farms and corn.

Quillz    224
2 hours ago, CyGuy5 said:

I am an Iowan and I prefer the bottom option. When you think of Iowa, what do you think of? Farms and corn.

I think of Kevin Costner.

RichO    215

I think the top hits all the notes Iowa would want to present about itself.

Bottom is basically the experience of driving across on I-80.

Cujo    2,453

A boring plate for a boring state. Makes sense.