Snapping Turtle Logo concept

El Scorcho

I'm just posting to share a concept logo i've been working on for a competition on another forum.

As a part of the competition I am creating an identity for a NYC based Australian Rules team, and I decided to go with Snapping Turtles as my mascot as it's the state reptile of NY. I've stuck with the blue and orange synonymous with NYC sports.

I'd love some feedback! I need to work on a wordmark to go with this, but I always struggle with wordmarks and working them into a logo.

image.thumb.png.b7e10ea280c89f0c6698fbd96d757032.png

1 hour ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

Really nice logo! The only change I would make is to the tongue. The black really sticks out like a sore thumb. I would just use one of the darker shade of blue instead of the black

This or see what a really darker navy blue looks like in place of the dark blue on here. I agree, black sticks out, think it needs to be the same color as the shading. Like I said though I think the blue could be darker, think it's getting a bit too muddy and clustered right now. From a far it might look like a blue blob. Darken the shade and you'll have more definition! 

14 hours ago, El Scorcho said:

I'm just posting to share a concept logo i've been working on for a competition on another forum.

As a part of the competition I am creating an identity for a NYC based Australian Rules team, and I decided to go with Snapping Turtles as my mascot as it's the state reptile of NY. I've stuck with the blue and orange synonymous with NYC sports.

I'd love some feedback! I need to work on a wordmark to go with this, but I always struggle with wordmarks and working them into a logo.

image.thumb.png.b7e10ea280c89f0c6698fbd96d757032.png

When I think of a snapping turtle I think of a bad attitude, long tail, and a spiky shell. I think you have a decent pose, but need to push those distinguishing features more. Also, try a different eye treatment (smaller or darker or colored).

scaledownimage.JPG1200px-alligator_snapping_turtle_-_geier

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

12 hours ago, Big Yellow Flag said:

I love it. My one concern is that he looks very happy, which I don't have an issue with, but I'm not 100% it was your intent. If it was, it's perfect. If not, he needs to look a little meaner.

I did definitely want him to look mean, and now that you've said he looks happy I can't see anything else haha! I'll work on the eye to try to make him look a bit angrier.

11 hours ago, DNAsports said:

It looks fantastic, but it also looks a little furry. Change that up a little bit and you'll be golden.

I'm considering adding some scales to make the skin on the face look a bit more reptilian, but i'm conscious of overcrowding it. I wanted the shape of the head to be a bit spiky but I can definitely see how it reads as fur.

10 hours ago, OhioSportsMan61 said:

Really nice logo! The only change I would make is to the tongue. The black really sticks out like a sore thumb. I would just use one of the darker shade of blue instead of the black

9 hours ago, MrWonka said:

This or see what a really darker navy blue looks like in place of the dark blue on here. I agree, black sticks out, think it needs to be the same color as the shading. Like I said though I think the blue could be darker, think it's getting a bit too muddy and clustered right now. From a far it might look like a blue blob. Darken the shade and you'll have more definition! 

I've darkened the outline blue a bit and lightened behind the tongue, it's definitely an improvement. I haven't made behind the tongue the same colour as the outline, because I felt that took away from the definition of the beak a bit too much. It's only slightly darker now and it looks better, thanks!

5 hours ago, hettinger_rl said:

When I think of a snapping turtle I think of a bad attitude, long tail, and a spiky shell. I think you have a decent pose, but need to push those distinguishing features more. Also, try a different eye treatment (smaller or darker or colored).

scaledownimage.JPG1200px-alligator_snapping_turtle_-_geier

I did initially try to work in the spiky shell of an alligator snapping turtle, but I couldn't think of a good way to get the panels looking spiky without making it look too busy for the style of the logo. I ended up going with more of a common snapping turtle, which doesn't have the spikes and is the actual state reptile of NY.

I'll definitely have another go at the eye to make it look a bit meaner.

Thanks for pointing out the tail, the reference images I used all had the tail obscured so I just assumed it was standard turtle tail. I'll totally rework that as well.

On 8/16/2017 at 8:05 AM, OhioSportsMan61 said:

My thoughts exactly, on an otherwise well done logo!

a2BRS8U.png

Archived