The Mad Scientist's NBA

Sport

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

Those are some fantastic logos. I swear there's some sort of hidden shape in the husky's face, but if there is I can't tell what.

Thank you. Unless I threw something in there accidentally there is nothing more to it than what you see. I originally set out to make the bottom tuft of hair below the mouth look like a T, but it felt unnecessary and forced and I abandoned that idea pretty quickly. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Not a fan of this one. I think "Raptors" is a better, stronger brand than "Huskies." 

Agree to disagree. Husky is a top 5 dog breed and sports needs more dog themed teams. Raptors to me screams "Xtreme Dunkaroos!!! Now with 50% more frosting!!". A raptor wasn't a thing that anybody knew about until Jurassic Park and then suddenly we had basketball teams and rollercoasters and cartoons with raptors every where which gives it a humorously time-stamped quality and their recent Drakeified identity can't hide the name. Also they've been extinct for 80 million years. I feel like Huskies is just more grown-up and if we can have NBA teams called the Pelicans, Bobcats, Grizzlies, and Wolves then I don't see Huskies being out of place. 

I also think there's some real value about being one of the two cities to play in the first ever NBA game and they should've embraced that history when they started in the mid 90's, even if they're not the same exact franchise. And they now match the Leafs and Jays giving the city a Pittsburgh kind of thing. 

The logo looks a little too similar to UConn's.

They're both front facing huskies for sure, but this one doesn't have its mouth open. 

And the uniforms seem kind of generic, almost collegiate.

I get that. was somewhat stumped on what to do with the uniforms. The OG Huskies had very simple uniforms. Couldn't go that basic, but didn't want to do anything wild and crazy kids either. I may take another swipe at the unis because they're not the strongest thing in this series. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

35 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I also think there's some real value about being one of the two cities to play in the first ever NBA game and they should've embraced that history when they started in the mid 90's, even if they're not the same exact franchise. And they now match the Leafs and Jays giving the city a Pittsburgh kind of thing. 

If you want to take that a step further, you could follow @the admiral‘s suggestion by using Penumbra semi-serif instead of the rounded sans-serif.

I rather like your latest updates. The Bulls redesign is maybe the best version of the logo I’ve seen (thank you for not giving it a septum ring). The Huskies’ uniform could use a little work, but the identity is stellar. I like it more than the claw-ball Raptors. The only suggestion I have would be to replace the black alt with a purple/red one (no black), just to pander to Raptors fans.

I do hope you make the Timberwolves look different enough from the Huskies for them to coexist.

Just got a small and quick gripe;  if you add the Sonics, you also need another team for the Eastern conference/move the Grizzlies, T-Wolves, or Pelicans to the East and put another in the west.  You need equal conferences IMO.  Personally, I would go with KC, San Diego, or Oakland for the West and Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, or VB for the East.  However, great series so far, really like the Bulls and Huskies.

GOOD GRIEF I HAVEN'T BEEN HERE IN A LONG TIME

21 hours ago, Luingus221 said:

Just got a small and quick gripe;  if you add the Sonics, you also need another team for the Eastern conference/move the Grizzlies, T-Wolves, or Pelicans to the East and put another in the west.  You need equal conferences IMO.  Personally, I would go with KC, San Diego, or Oakland for the West and Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, or VB for the East.  However, great series so far, really like the Bulls and Huskies.

A 32nd team is coming. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 5/2/2018 at 12:51 PM, Jimmy Lethal said:

Those are some fantastic logos. I swear there's some sort of hidden shape in the husky's face, but if there is I can't tell what.

CN Tower as the snout.

VmWIn6B.png

If you followed my volleyball series (which I will finish at some point) or maybe you've seen my FC Cincinnati concept out there on the world wide web then you'll recognize this. Please excuse the self-plagiarizing.

dAGNveq.png

FXiOFmj.png  

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's another self-plagiarization from my volleyball series. This was from a Rockies concept from a couple years ago (https://www.behance.net/gallery/34497699/Colorado-Rockies-Brand-Overhaul) that I turned into a volleyball concept for a team called the Denver Miners 

I've never been a huge fan light blue for the Nuggets and now they've gotten so far away from the original idea that it's kind of lost its original spirit and intent. Also the rainbow stripes are a mess and I don't get why everyone loves them so much. 

The idea behind the original mark when I first made it was to resemble a beer label. For the Nuggets I went full Colorado.

joDa34M.png

qmdztLP.png

2DJW89Q.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

I’ve always wondered why the Nuggets don’t lean more into Colorado imagery since blue and yellow with sometimes hints of red seems to be the only common thread in their 3000 looks. You executed it perfectly, love the secondary 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Utah Jazz

IFKBfeU.png

With their last rebrand I think the Jazz got the zip code right, but have the wrong address. It's a good idea for a color scheme and going back to the ball note was the right idea, but they went too dark with the secondary colors. I brightened the green and yellow and the made the note a little more squat and less horizontal. Focused on giving them a striping pattern that would be instantly recognizable to them, inspired by a musical staff. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

The musical staff striping is really clever. I never would have thought of that. Not a huge fan of the squatter note, but overall an upgrade (not counting the lack of a Utah alt)!

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

New Orleans Pelicans

87IbL5V.png

Overall it's pretty good, but why not go with single color numbers and wordmarks on all of the uniforms? I'd change the wordmark and numbers on the white jersey to white also, just my thoughts on the pelicans.

As for this whole series, it's great. I really appreciate that you are using a simple template that you can manipulate to your liking instead of staying inside the lines of an over-designed branded template. I also  really like what you did with the Jazz. It's unique without being gimmicky. I might tone down the green a notch, though. It's on the verge of "Action Green"

Archived