Portland ECHL Team Unveils Name-the-Team Finalists

KittSmith_95

Mariners, Puffins, or Watchmen all make sense for Portland given it's nautical history and sea proximity. Lumberjacks makes little sense since Portland's not on the interior of Maine. And Wild Blueberries has to be a joke.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Maine Mariners, IMO, is the only one that makes sense. The franchise will be the Flyers affiliate so why not go with the appropriate historical name?

While the team will be owned and operated by Comcast/Spectra and will likely have a lot of former Mariners and Flyers brass it likely won't be affiliated with the Flyers...at least not to start:

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/06/15/portland-lands-a-pro-hockey-team-for-the-fall-of-2018/

That being said I wouldn't be surprised to see the team take on the Maine Mariners identity in large part due to the connections mentioned in the article. 

13 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

i didn't want to be a hockey team, i wanted to be a:

Lumberjack 

Oh, Bevis. And I thought you were so rugged.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

6 hours ago, buzzcut said:

Oh, Bevis. And I thought you were so rugged.

Dear Sir, I wish to complain on the stronglyest possible terms about the previous entry in this file about the lumberjack who wears womens' clothes. Some of my best friends are lumberjacks, and only a FEW of them are transvestites. Yours faithfully, Brigadier Sir Charles Arthur Strong, Mrs. P.S. I have never kissed the editor of the radio times.

so long and thanks for all the fish.

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

Team management has announced that the franchise will be dubbed the Maine Mariners.

Dance Team to be called "The Maine Attractions"

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I spoke to a friend who lives in Portland. He and his children attended the event at which the team name was revealed. 

According to information shared by team management, while the Maine Mariners name is back, a new logo and colors are being adopted. The old logo will be used in some promotions, but the team is looking to marry a fresh visual identity to an old name.

As for the results of the Name-the-Team contest, most of the more than 18,000 votes that were cast went to Mariners, with Wild Blueberries finishing "not very far behind" in the words of a team official who spoke with my friend. Watchmen was "well back in third" in the voting, followed by Puffins and Lumberjacks.

2 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Team management has announced that the franchise will be dubbed the Maine Mariners.

A Minor League team went with the more appropriate name?  What sorcery is this?

Glad to hear the Mariners name coming back.  Excited to see what they will come up with for their logo

YES!

YES!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

1 hour ago, Pharos04 said:

A Minor League team went with the more appropriate name?  What sorcery is this?

As my grandfather says, "Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut."

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of nice touches here. The "M" and the "E" formed by the trident creates "ME"... the postal abbreviation for Maine. Blue and green in the color scheme are likely nods to the Atlantic Ocean and the forests that play such an important role in Maine's culture and economy. The handle of the trident resembles the butt end of a hockey stick. The star in the pentagon at the base of the middle tine in the trident is drawn from the state seal of Maine. Further, the point of the middle tine of the trident appears to be a pine tree, which calls to mind Maine's nickname - "The Pine Tree State". On the righthand side of the "M", the grey shadow forms the shape of a lighthouse.

It will be interesting to see what the secondary marks look like. That said, based upon the primary... so far, so good.

Archived