JimmyN64

Go Stare at the Sun

JimmyN64    282

Space is cool, eclipses are neat.  Figured there should be a thread for any videos/photos you have of this awesome event!

Here's a couple live feeds I'm watching --

CS85    5,236

It was a thing, that much I can confirm.

Ben5    204

My assistant and I soaked up as much of it as we could. We had 93% coverage of the sun here in Wichita, but it didn't get dark. It did get a little cooler, though.

wildwing64    1,179

Apparently we were supposed to get a partial view in the UK just now.

Not seeing anything through these clouds though. The Eclipse has been eclipsed.

IMG_20170821_201241.thumb.jpg.7516ac6027f0ec96eef9838c2eec0843.jpg

Rockstar Matt    587

Didn't have the time (nor the money) to go drive 800 miles to see it, but I made myself a pinhole viewer to see the moon's transit across the sun. Really cool to actually see it happening. Leading up to it's peak here in Los Angeles (around 10:20 am PDT) you could feel a clear temperature drop as well. We didn't get totality, but rather something like 65-70% coverage. Still awesome though. 

I'm going to make sure I'll be able to see the next one in the US. Mark your calendars because it's on April 8th, 2024. Gotta wait almost 7 years...

habsfan1    1,296
2 hours ago, JimmyN64 said:

Go stare at the sun

Don't forget to wear the proper set of glasses while doing so. ;)

the admiral    10,240
3 minutes ago, generalshepherd141 said:

I decided I'd be dumb and see how long I could look at the sun near peak time with sunglasses on. I lasted a full 2-3 seconds before my eyes began to hurt.

Mr. President?

CS85    5,236
12 minutes ago, generalshepherd141 said:

I decided I'd be dumb and see how long I could look at the sun near peak time with sunglasses on. I lasted a full 2-3 seconds before my eyes began to hurt.

"Dumb" may be an understatement. 

Magic Dynasty    437

To be honest, it was cool (Orlando got about 88%), but I was really expecting something more. Maybe things to darken, maybe things get colder, I don't know. Just something.

mr.nascar13    653

I was driving home from Tennessee when it happened, so I didn't get to see it all go down, but it was weird driving while it was happening.

I was just south of Charleston, WV when they were at their peak, which felt like it was about 7 or 8 in the evening rather than 2:30 in the afternoon.

Guess I'll have to wait when I'm 26 when it passes over Ohio.

smzimbabwe    98

I found it funny that the tv station that continuously hyped this as a "once in a lifetime" event just interviewed a guy who has just seen his third eclipse and is planning on seeing the one in 2024.

Cosmic    2,504
4 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Didn't have the time (nor the money) to go drive 800 miles to see it, but I made myself a pinhole viewer to see the moon's transit across the sun. Really cool to actually see it happening. Leading up to it's peak here in Los Angeles (around 10:20 am PDT) you could feel a clear temperature drop as well. We didn't get totality, but rather something like 65-70% coverage. Still awesome though. 

I'm going to make sure I'll be able to see the next one in the US. Mark your calendars because it's on April 8th, 2024. Gotta wait almost 7 years...

Don't count on that 2024 eclipse being any closer to LA...

screen-shot-2017-07-28-at-4-39-29-pm-150

... but party at my house in seven years!

DustDevil61    438

Didn't get to see the totality (still on my bucket list, thanks work), but I did get 90, 91% coverage in the greater Salt Lake City area. It did cool down. I'm hoping to book a trip for the 2024 total eclipse (plus an excuse to visit anywhere from Mexico and Texas to the Northeast), but in 2023 another annular eclipse is due to hit the western US again (like in 2012). 

infrared41    3,668

We had 85% coverage here in Ohio. it was a little too cloudy to get the full treatment, but we did manage to see parts of the eclipse. We didn't get total darkness, but the sky did have a weird hue going for a while. Pretty cool.