OMMF

Unique ice designs

WSU151    2,413
On 9/5/2017 at 10:19 AM, insert name said:

This is new. 

IMG_6630.JPG

It's interesting teams will have the redline go right over the normal logo, but the Rangers here (and maybe others, I dunno) split the logo to accommodate the line.  If the red line had gone right on top, the N and G would not be so readable, and the Q and U would not be so far apart.

M4One    138
3 hours ago, Echo said:

The picture of the blue ice in Buffalo that someone posted earlier was a part of that testing.  This was during the '04-'05 Lockout, when the Rochester Americans played a couple of games in Buffalo.  If you look at the picture you can see in addition to the blue ice the lines are blue for the center line and orange for the 'blue lines'.  The lines are wider than usual as well. 

I don't know if they tried this in any other rinks besides Buffalo, I just remember because I was at one of those games.

How many years did they do this for because according to this article, only the Canadian based teams tested out the wider lines in 2003-04.  https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/wider-ice-markings-will-receive-a-test-in-american-league/article774581/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

the admiral    10,244

Now that we have to Zapruder every zone entry, shouldn't the blue lines be narrower, not wider?

Echo    26
4 hours ago, M4One said:

How many years did they do this for because according to this article, only the Canadian based teams tested out the wider lines in 2003-04.  https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/wider-ice-markings-will-receive-a-test-in-american-league/article774581/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

They only did it the one year in Buffalo, and only because the Sabres didn't need the ice due to the NHL lockout that year.  Don't know what they did in any of the other AHL cities.  IIRC, the blue ice and different colored lines were an experiment proposed by the Sabres' Managing Partner at the time, Larry Quinn.  He also came up with the idea for a net with rounded goalposts that was supposed to help increase scoring.  Thankfully, that one never made it past the prototype stage.

GvJrjNs.jpg

Echo    26
2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Now that we have to Zapruder every zone entry, shouldn't the blue lines be narrower, not wider?

The idea at the time was that the wider lines increased the size of the offensive zone since the puck would have to go all the way across the line to be considered out, giving the attacking team an extra foot or so of O-zone room.

M4One    138
26 minutes ago, Echo said:

They only did it the one year in Buffalo, and only because the Sabres didn't need the ice due to the NHL lockout that year.  Don't know what they did in any of the other AHL cities.  IIRC, the blue ice and different colored lines were an experiment proposed by the Sabres' Managing Partner at the time, Larry Quinn.  He also came up with the idea for a net with rounded goalposts that was supposed to help increase scoring.  Thankfully, that one never made it past the prototype stage.

GvJrjNs.jpg

I think we're talking about different things.  You're talking about the ice and lines being different colours and I'm talking about how they were made much wider, same colour as usual.

Echo    26
10 minutes ago, M4One said:

I think we're talking about different things.  You're talking about the ice and lines being different colours and I'm talking about how they were made much wider, same colour as usual.

Oh, I know what you're talking about.  What I'm saying is that when they did the blue ice in Buffalo the lines were also wider than usual.  That was a part of the AHL's wide line experiment from the mid-2000's. 

M4One    138
1 hour ago, Echo said:

Oh, I know what you're talking about.  What I'm saying is that when they did the blue ice in Buffalo the lines were also wider than usual.  That was a part of the AHL's wide line experiment from the mid-2000's. 

Well, if you say so.  But, there doesn't seem to be anything said about wider lines here, only the ice going blue and the different coloured lines.  Honestly, from that picture posted on the first page, the lines look the same as usual, size wise.  I kinda remember the lines being double the size of the regular size.  

M4One    138

So I think I found a video of a game played at the ACC with the bigger lines.  Looking at that Buffalo picture again, yeah maybe it did have the bigger lines.  Strange nothing was written about that in the article.

smzimbabwe    98

turku1209vp_sm.thumb.jpg.826f94ef17a235dd1ad076fad7a0f085.jpg

Is this the future of the NHL? Stadium in Turku, Finland. I suppose it's easy when you're used to it, but wouldn't you lose sight of the puck on the ice?

Ice_Cap    7,595
1 hour ago, smzimbabwe said:

Is this the future of the NHL?

No. Not enough room for the "Thank You Fans" graphics they have to break out after a lockout every 8-10 years. 

4 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

Is this the future of the NHL? Stadium in Turku, Finland. I suppose it's easy when you're used to it, but wouldn't you lose sight of the puck on the ice?

No, sight of the puck would not be lost. I've played on a rink like this before, and ever after a fresh cut it's not hard to differentiate