Sign in to follow this  
habsfan1

McDonalds customer pays for order of nothing

Bucfan56    3,692
34 minutes ago, See Red said:

How does that work?  I would think you would at least need somebody to monitor the test-taker via webcam.  As an aside, I'm about two weeks away from graduating from Oregon State through their online program and I've only taken two classes that even required proctors (neither of which had anything to do with my major). I ended up having to use ProctorU, I think it was, and I thought it was a pretty awkward experience thinking that somebody is just looking at me through my webcam while I'm taking an exam. 

ProctorU is the company I work for. Oregon State exams, in particular, come through my office (I think) exclusively. What a small world it would be if I ended up proctoring one of your exams (which I could find out pretty easily). It's a bit of a weird gig, and you're right the concept is a bit strange, but I'm pretty much numb to it now. I've seen the inside of more living rooms and dorm rooms (even some bathrooms and closets for people who have to get creative when it comes to finding a "private" room to test in) than I ever cared to. 

So, essentially, the job has been shifting from physical proctoring more towards automation ever since I got there. When I first started I did everything from the physical startup all the way to watching the test taker submit their exam and sign out of the exam site (as well as dealing with any potential computer/network/course site issues as well as monitoring for cheating. And keep in mind I'm doing this for up to 30 people at a time during the busiest seasons). As the months go along, the duties I have as a proctor keep diminishing due to computer technology catching up with what we need to do VERY quickly (Mainly because we now have a CEO with the wherewithal to actually have a technology budget that takes up the majority of their yearly spending rather than have a technology budget that was literally ZERO before he arrived). We have an algorithm that can determine the potential for cheating based on the materials you're using and how you react to the camera in front of you and the environment around you. I'm not exactly sure how it works as it's some pretty high level programming, but the more they work on it and the deeper they implement it, the better it gets. It's pretty impressive to see it all come together, actually. Now with my job I basically live-assist with any connection issues and course site issues. I also deal in real time with any MAJOR breeches of academic integrity that the computer just can't handle yet, but the majority of my "proctoring" now is just following the prompts the system gives me and updating the notes. It's nice because the job has shifted from CRAZY pull your hair out and leave every shift with PTSD stressful to really easy and kinda boring now. Problem now is though, the easier this gets, the slimmer the staff around me becomes. We've cut staff in the past year by nearly 40%. Most of that is people leaving for other jobs and them not hiring anyone to replace them, but they're now shifting to "downsizing", which is probably gonna kill my job off here in oh I'd say about the next 365 days or so. If I had to guess, anyway. 

So, yay computers. 

See Red    752
1 minute ago, Bucfan56 said:

ProctorU is the company I work for. Oregon State exams, in particular, come through my office (I think) exclusively. What a small world it would be if I ended up proctoring one of your exams (which I could find out pretty easily). 

So, essentially, the job has been shifting from physical proctoring more towards automation ever since I got there. When I first started I did everything from the physical startup all the way to watching the test taker submit their exam and sign out of the exam site (as well as dealing with any potential computer/network/course site issues as well as monitoring for cheating. And keep in mind I'm doing this for up to 30 people at a time during the busiest seasons). As the months go along, the duties I have as a proctor keep diminishing due to computer technology catching up with what we need to do VERY quickly (Mainly because we now have a CEO with the wherewithal to actually have a technology budget that takes up the majority of their yearly spending rather than have a technology budget that was literally ZERO before he arrived). We have an algorithm that can determine the potential for cheating based on the materials you're using and how you react to the camera in front of you and the environment around you. I'm not exactly sure how it works as it's some pretty high level programming, but the more they work on it and the deeper they implement it, the better it gets. It's pretty impressive to see it all come together, actually. Now with my job I basically live-assist with any connection issues and course site issues. I also deal in real time with any MAJOR breeches of academic integrity that the computer just can't handle yet, but the majority of my "proctoring" now is just following the prompts the system gives me and updating the notes. It's nice because the job has shifted from CRAZY pull your hair out and leave every shift with PTSD stressful to really easy and kinda boring now. Problem now is though, the easier this gets, the slimmer the staff around me becomes. We've cut staff in the past year by nearly 40%. Most of that is people leaving for other jobs and them not hiring anyone to replace them, but they're now shifting to "downsizing", which is probably gonna kill my job off here in oh I'd say about the next 365 days or so. If I had to guess, anyway. 

So, yay computers. 

I think it was a black guy both times, actually, so I don't think you proctored me.  I didn't realize that much went into it, though.  Part of what I found uncomfortable about it was that while I was taking a test, I was also actively trying not to look like I was cheating even though I wasn't even cheating.  Every time I read a question and looked up while I was trying to think of the answer I was worried it would look like I was looking up at something.

Atomic    655
On 8/24/2017 at 2:05 AM, wildwing64 said:

A computer doesn-UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA.

A computer doe-REMOVE THIS ITEM BEFORE CONTINUING.

A compu-PLEASE PLACE THE ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA.

A co-UNEXPECTED ITEM IN BAGGING AREA.

Sir, I believe this is yours:

nYDhWobl.png