Ice_Cap

WWE No Mercy: 24 September 2017

Ice_Cap    7,591

I'm ok with our viking space lord, Brock I of Lesnar, getting a throne.

DG_Now    3,884

Brock can be champion as long as he wants. I have absolutely zero problem with the biggest belt begin defended only once in a great while. That's the way it should be.

BringBackTheVet    4,173

Well let's define "great while".  I don't think it should go more than 6 weeks.

Could they book anyone else this way?  Like if Braun was to win it, could they either pull him off TV or at least keep him out of the ring except for PPV defenses?  It wouldn't work for everyone's character - like I couldn't see Cena being booked like that, or AJ, or a few others, but maybe building up another Super Monster wouldn't be a bad thing?

Red Wolf    658

Underrated thing that sucked about WCW was the talents' theme music. Most of it was either the most generic song possible, or a bad, obvious rip-off of a popular song like DDP's being a weird version of Smells Like Teen Spirit. There were some good ones like Sting's crow music, or the West Texas Rednecks, but it was mostly pretty bad. 

I've actually been surprised by the amount of title defenses Brock has had this run. I want to say his last run only had defenses at Night of Champions (rematch with Cena following SummerSlam), Royal Rumble, and Wrestlemania. Something like that. Whereas his current run has had him defend against Joe at Great Balls of Fire, everybody at SummerSlam, and he's defending at No Mercy as well. Compare that to the previous, almost exclusively big 4 appearances. 

And I feel like this has lead to him being on TV more than he was during the last run as well, but it still feels special. There aren't a bunch of random six-man tags, or losing clean to randos under the Brock reign.

I also hated how much wacky booking and leaps of logic they had to go through to keep Brock from having the title after he lost it to Rollins. They had booked him as such an unstoppable force, but for some reason, the strongest character either wasn't being given a shot at the belt, or didn't give a crap about getting it. I was annoyed when Brock got the belt just because I thought it would be like the last title run he had, but this has actually been quite good. 

Ice_Cap    7,591
40 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Well let's define "great while".  I don't think it should go more than 6 weeks.

Brock's defending the Universal title at No Mercy. That'll mean Brock will have defended the title at the last three PPVs Raw's been a part of.

DDR    955

A huge number of WCW themes were instrumental one-note-different ripoffs of popular songs. A few for example:

DDP = Smells Like Teen Spirit

Chris Jericho = Even Flow

Shane Douglas = Perfect Strangers (the original was his ECW theme)

Rick Steiner = Welcome to the Jungle

Jeff Jarrett = Cowboy

nWo theme = Several Jimi Hendrix Songs

Brian Knobbs = My Sharona (which is just weird and hilarious to me)

BringBackTheVet    4,173
7 hours ago, DDR said:

A huge number of WCW themes were instrumental one-note-different ripoffs of popular songs. A few for example:

DDP = Smells Like Teen Spirit

Chris Jericho = Even Flow

Shane Douglas = Perfect Strangers (the original was his ECW theme)

Rick Steiner = Welcome to the Jungle

Jeff Jarrett = Cowboy

nWo theme = Several Jimi Hendrix Songs

Brian Knobbs = My Sharona (which is just weird and hilarious to me)

If they used a "real" song before, but had to stop due to rights or something, I'm kinda OK with a rip off.  I thought Jarrett's was good, and while I didn't hear Douglas' WCW theme, I imagine it would be OK too.  I'm watching ECW One Night Stand '06 right now and was just reminded that the last incarnation of the FBI used a "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" rip off, which worked well for them (much better than JT Smith's FBI theme of "That's Amore".)  I think they also used "Stayin' Alive", which was silly and also worked well.

BringBackTheVet    4,173

OK just listened to Douglas' WCW theme and wow that's almost a 100% rip off just without lyrics.  Too bad the beginning sounds like midi or done on a little casio keyboard.  The rest is OK, even if you need context to understand why it works.

Brass    1,605

Forgot music, it's all about the video. And what video is better than that of Gregory Helms? NO ONE.

KDubK414    102

I believe Jimmy Hart composed just about all of the WCW themes. He did a lot of the 1980's era WWF themes as well before Jim Johnstone (who damn well better be in the WWE Hall of Fame soon.) I remember seeing some videos of Jim J. saying how he actually used wrestler input to come up with the themes, even basing some of them off of popular songs but coming up with new tunes. I certainly did laugh/cringe when I heard DDP's theme the first time, pretty much made me hate the guy from the get go. 

Red Wolf    658
6 hours ago, Brass said:

Forgot music, it's all about the video. And what video is better than that of Gregory Helms? NO ONE.

Dear lord, I totally remember that. I rarely notice much about wrestlers' titan trons, but that was one of the ones that stood out. I also wasn't a fan of that gimmick because I had an irrational love for the Hurricane, who has a pinfall victory over the Rock. 

CS85    5,230

Ric Flair is not only alive, he's CUTTING PROMOS AND MOVING MERCH

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

abTuJya.jpg

Brass    1,605

Ric Flair is the absolute epitome of the phrase "Living the gimmick, brother."

DDR    955

Glad to see Naitch up and wheelin' and dealin'. But I wasn't prepared for how old he looks. Hopefully as he gets further down the road to recovery he starts to look healthier and more vibrant.

Brass    1,605
9 minutes ago, DDR said:

Glad to see Naitch up and wheelin' and dealin'. But I wasn't prepared for how old he looks. Hopefully as he gets further down the road to recovery he starts to look healthier and more vibrant.

Are you surprised that a 68 year old professional wrestler who just spent 2+ weeks in the hospital looks a little weathered?

DDR    955
Just now, Brass said:

Are you surprised that a 68 year old professional wrestler who just spent 2+ weeks in the hospital looks a little weathered?

Surprised? No. Still taken aback? Yeah. 

Red Wolf    658

I remember watching RAW like 12 years ago and my dad came in, saw Ric Flair was on and said, "He's been old since I was a kid."