WWE No Mercy: 24 September 2017

Ice_Cap    7,584

WBuChib.jpg

WWE Universal Championship

Brock Lesnar (c) w/Paul Heyman vs Braun Strowman

Red Wolf    646
2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Asuka has relinquished the NXT Women's Title. :(

She needs to appear on the main roster after she recovers and murder everybody and never lose ever for all time. 

BringBackTheVet    4,169

I'm Asuka's biggest fan... for several reasons.  She's not going to be successful on the main roster, especially not as a face.

As I predicted, her and Nakamura's lack of English-language promo skills will and are hindering them from connecting with average fans.  They're both incredibly talented (though Nakamura hasn't showed it on SDL yet) but I just don't see them getting over.  Maybe asuka as a monster heel, but it's easier in the women's division.

VKM made a statement about Cesaro not being able to connect due to communication ability or something. I think that's total BS in cesaro's case, but unless the Japanese wrestlers can start connecting strictly through charisma or spectacular ability, they may prove VKM correct.

DG_Now    3,884

I don't watch NXT regularly, so I only ever saw Asuka during Takeover specials (or used to -- I also just canceled my WWEN subscription; the SummerSlam 4-way was a great way to go out). As a 4 times a year performer to me, Asuka always came off as a huge deal. It wasn't just the entrance and costume, but her overall presence. She looks like a killer, she's treated like a killer, and then she goes out and kills. It's a great package....but way better for the casual fan.

Brock Lesnar's current run is a throwback to the Hogan era, where you'd only see the champion and biggest dude wrestle on TV once in a great while. There was always anticipation around the top star's matches. WWE killed that golden goose ages ago, but with Lesnar they've generally shown they know how to get it back.

I don't think Asuka can be a PPV- or Big Four-only talent. She clearly isn't at that level and doesn't sell tickets that way. But absence makes the heart grow fonder, and if I were in charge, I'd find a way to cycle talent on and off TV more. They just get so overexposed that they stop feeling special. Maybe 9 months on, 3 months off? Or even 6 and 6? Anything to keep guys fresher.

habsfan1    1,290

Sorry, but the idea that Nakamura & Asuka don't have what it takes to get over big in WWE seems absurd.

Whether it be NXT or the main roster.

BringBackTheVet    4,169
1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

Sorry, but the idea that Nakamura & Asuka don't have what it takes to get over big in WWE seems absurd.

Whether it be NXT or the main roster.

Well obviously they're over in NXT, but that audience is mostly wrestling nerds like us. Main roster is different. I'm pulling for them but skeptical that they have what it takes to win over enough of the non-nerd base. 

I'm not sure that either of them has done anything that indicates they'll be able to win over a mainstream American audience. 

Gobbi    238

I would consider myself a wrestling nerd and I have found myself less interested in Nakamura since he's moved to Smackdown. Part of his mystique seems to be gone. I'm also annoyed that they insist on calling him "the artist known as..." 

DDR    951

In my singular opinion, part of the issue with the loss of mystique/novelty as guys/gals go from NXT to the main roster is that they appear every week. Partially because they tape 4 shows at once, partially because they only have an hour a week, NXT cycles their performers in week-by-week. Nakamura would appear every other week at most, keeping him fresh.  

DDR    951

Have Mike and Maria Kanellis been on TV in the past few weeks? Leave it to WWE to bring in an act, give them an albatross gimmick and zero build-up, keep them off TV following their debut and then give up on them a month later. I really hope that's not the case. 

Atomic    655
24 minutes ago, DDR said:

Have Mike and Maria Kanellis been on TV in the past few weeks? Leave it to WWE to bring in an act, give them an albatross gimmick and zero build-up, keep them off TV following their debut and then give up on them a month later. I really hope that's not the case. 

Apparently he's been addicted to painkillers. At least he's doing something about it before it's too late.

DG_Now    3,884

Man, I don't want that kind of stuff in my TV entertainment. Sorry, but I have zero invested in Mike Kanellis, let alone more than zero to care about his painkiller addiction.

Maria is hot and great on TV. Mike sucks. See you Mike.

Shumway    738

Well, Jeff winning that battle royal was a surprise.

(to nobody's surprise, I was rooting for the Axeman)

habsfan1    1,290

Once again, Heath Slater is one of the best parts of the show.

The other two former 3MB members, Jinder Mahal & Drew McIntyre, are World Champions of their respective brands, SD & NXT. It's on Heath Slater now, to get 3MB to rule the entire WWE Universe. Watch out, Lesnar!!

#HeathSlaterforUniversalChampion

#Slatermania

CS85    5,183

Naturally Memphis pops huge for Jerry Lawler but gives very little to one of the best contract signings in a long, long time.  A Chicago or Canadian crowd would've gone bonkers over that banter.  

nuordr    469

I have NEVER liked John Cena throughout his career. But last night, he actually impressed me for the second time in his career (the first was against RVD for the title at ONS2). He not only showed Roman Reigns how to talk on a mic, but he completely buried him with the truth on why people like me does not like him. I know it was scripted, but this might have been the best promo bashing I've ever seen on WWE TV. WOW!

Roman: I've done something you'll never do, I retired The Undertaker, so maybe it's that I don't want to fight you, but that I don't need too. 

Cena: He's right, you don't need to fight me, you are the high exalted. Listen carefully young man, I'm not The Undertaker. I'm not a battered veteran at the end of his career with a bad hip

9:51-10:40 - This was about as bad as it could get for Roman Reigns. 

Roman: They boo you because first of all, you suck. 

Cena: hey, hey, hey, according to them (hugging Kurt Angle) so does he, but he won a gold medal. 

Roman: Just shut up for a while, how about that.

Roman: and second of all, (forgets what to say next) 

Cena: Go ahead and find it, go ahead....I'll wait 

Roman: (Still gathering thoughts) 

Cena: (after several seconds) It's called a promo, kid.

Roman: Shut your mouth John

Cena: You want to be the Big Dog, your gonna have to learn how to do it, so go ahead. 

Roman: (looking very confused and laughing) 

Cena: See ya 4th wall

Roman: You bury young talent

Cena: I was honored and privileged to earn the US Title at this stage of my career and use it as a beacon of opportunity to introduce new superstars like AJ Styles and Kevin Owens, to name a few, You took the US Title as a demotion, and you stand there and blame me. Fine. I blame you! I'm still here because you can't do YOUR JOB!!!!

Cena: You should be ashamed I'm a part-timer, because I can do this part-time better than you can ever do it full-time.  

dfwabel    984
4 hours ago, nuordr said:

I have NEVER liked John Cena throughout his career. But last night, he actually impressed me for the second time in his career (the first was against RVD for the title at ONS2). He not only showed Roman Reigns how to talk on a mic, but he completely buried him with the truth on why people like me does not like him. I know it was scripted, but this might have been the best promo bashing I've ever seen on WWE TV. WOW!

That segment was very well done.  The back and forth was good, but I think the most kudos doesn't go to Cena, who was fantastic, but to whomever was the director.  The camera angles were perfect, especially the one which you could see Kurt Angle's face in the background when Cena was working.  S/He did not have many crowd shots,

The downside was Cena "spiking the ball/mic drop" after each one of his soliloquies. 

habsfan1    1,290

There's a possibility they decided to do John Cena vs Roman Reigns at No Mercy because they don't want this to happen at Wrestlemania 34, in front of a 75 000+ attendance of hardcore fans...

...only difference between here and there is that it would be 10 times louder there.

CS85    5,183

Holy CRAP, just listened to Emma's new theme and it is TRASH.  CF0$ disowned the theme on twitter today, basically saying that garbage wasn't his/their responsibility.