Sign in to follow this  
mania

Hurricane Watch 2017

Magic Dynasty    436
6 hours ago, the admiral said:

IceCap, infrared, twi, and all other Floribros, stay safe this week!

If push comes to shove, I'll be booking it to South Carolina with some family, but we're still not sure if we're leaving yet. Although, of every hurricane that I've been in, this is the one that I'm most scared about. I wasn't alive for Andrew, so this is the first Cat 5 that is actually supposed to hit us in my lifetime. Let me put it this way: after what just happened in Texas, and with this one being WORSE... yeah, not feeling it.

HedleyLamarr    1,308
7 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

If push comes to shove, I'll be booking it to South Carolina with some family, but we're still not sure if we're leaving yet. Although, of every hurricane that I've been in, this is the one that I'm most scared about. I wasn't alive for Andrew, so this is the first Cat 5 that is actually supposed to hit us in my lifetime. Let me put it this way: after what just happened in Texas, and with this one being WORSE... yeah, not feeling it.

If anything, go as far west as you can once you reach I-10.  Irma is projected to turn northward, slightly NNE-ward, then go westerly again.  Somewhere between Daytona, Savannah, Charleston, and Wilmington, Irma is going to veer back with predicted Cat-3 strength (or higher...Gulf Stream current is gonna fuel that thing).

Supposedly, Miami is just about out of gas.  May want to fill up ASAP, even if you aren't evacuating.

the admiral    10,196

The thought of Miami and environs getting obliterated is just too depressing for me. Too many friends and colleagues back there.

Ice_Cap    7,586
On 9/6/2017 at 2:15 AM, the admiral said:

Thanks. This is so surreal.

I'm just hunkering down for the weekend and hoping we're not totally screwed.

See Red    752

Surreal is right.  I can't even imagine how it is further south.

This will be, pretty much, my first hurricane (we were just out of range of the hurricane force winds last year with Matthew) but it should only be a category two or three by the time it reaches us.  Stay safe, everybody!

CS85    5,185

Rest easy, friends:

“These storms, once they actually hit, are never as strong as they're reported.  The graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism, just getting rid of the devil here in the form of this hurricane, this bright red stuff.” - Florida resident Rush Limbaugh

DG_Now    3,884
49 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Rest easy, friends:

“These storms, once they actually hit, are never as strong as they're reported.  The graphics have been created to make it look like the ocean's having an exorcism, just getting rid of the devil here in the form of this hurricane, this bright red stuff.” - Florida resident Rush Limbaugh

EDIT: Have I already made the comment that, unlike Katrina, I'm glad we're not spending the entirety of our national dialogue blaming victims for not getting out of town soon enough? Because I'm glad we haven't had that narrative. It was cruel then and would be cruel now.

Stay safe everyone. I can only imagine how something like this feels. The worst natural disaster I've ever lived through was an ice storm and that was more exciting than scary.

CS85    5,185
12 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

EDIT: Have I already made the comment that, unlike Katrina, I'm glad we're not spending the entirety of our national dialogue blaming victims for not getting out of town soon enough? Because I'm glad we haven't had that narrative. It was cruel then and would be cruel now.

Stay safe everyone. I can only imagine how something like this feels. The worst natural disaster I've ever lived through was an ice storm and that was more exciting than scary.

https://thinkprogress.org/limbaugh-to-evacuate-south-florida-after-claiming-irma-was-a-hoax-cb3fb5fb35b8/

Robert Stack:  UPDATE

...on the show Thursday, Limbaugh said he would be off the air for the next few days.

“May as well… announce this. I’m not going to get into details because of the security nature of things, but it turns out that we will not be able to do the program here tomorrow,” Limbaugh said Thursday. “We’ll be on the air next week, folks, from parts unknown.”

Limbaugh said the show will be back on the air Monday, but to be on the air Friday would be “legally impossible” for them do to the show out of South Florida.

dfwabel    985
4 hours ago, The Six said:

I hope the Dan LeBatard Show will stay safe so I can resume listening on Tuesday. 

Wow, you only hoped for the safety of seven folks (eight if you account for a Greg Cote Tuesday) just for three or four hours of entertainment.

GottaDeal    2

Irma looking like a bust for FL at least. Dry air working into core and forecasted shear will prevent strengthening. Good for this storm, but bad because all those millions of evacuees won't listen next time. Cuba is just shredding it. 

Cosmic    2,501
58 minutes ago, GottaDeal said:

Irma looking like a bust for FL at least. Dry air working into core and forecasted shear will prevent strengthening. Good for this storm, but bad because all those millions of evacuees won't listen next time. Cuba is just shredding it. 

Where'd you hear this? The wisdom for a long time and the NHC current update says that it will restrengthen when it gets back into that warm, shallow water between Florida and Cuba. Also, the worst part of the storm looks like it could be pointing right at Tampa. I hope you're hunkered down, @Ice_Cap

twi    271

Weird driving home from work today, we closed early and everyone else did too, nobody on the roads. It's actually a beautiful day right now, but got all of my stuff off the balcony already and made sure the car was parked away from any big trees and their branches. Non-perishables stocked up, now we will see what comes. Good luck to everyone. 

the admiral    10,196

The causeway that goes to the Keys will almost certainly be a goner from this, right?

Extra good vibes to IceCap and twi now that this is tracking west.

HedleyLamarr    1,308
4 hours ago, the admiral said:

The causeway that goes to the Keys will almost certainly be a goner from this, right?

I mean, it's possible, but that road and those bridges are pretty well made, from what I've read.  The Keys do get battered pretty often from tropical storms and hurricanes (folks don't realize just how distant the Keys are from Miami/mainland Florida), but then again, this storm isn't like most others.

There was a picture/video that was going around earlier from the Bahamas, showing dryness where ocean usually is at.  Irma sucked up a ton of water.

The more west this goes, the more it impacts Atlanta and puts us on the worst side of the storm.

On 2017-09-06 at 2:15 AM, the admiral said:

Ditto...take care down there.