Sign in to follow this  
mania

Hurricane Watch 2017

smzimbabwe    96

So is it worth it living there if this is going to happen? Or are these storms so infrequent that it's just a minor inconvenience? When I was a kid, the river just south of us would flood every spring, and every spring, the local news would feature the same people over and over talking about how much they lost to the flood. Next year, same thing. It's hard to feel sorry for people who knowingly put themselves in harms way. So is it worth living there and you accept that things like this could happen? 

habsfan1    1,290
6 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

So is it worth it living there if this is going to happen?

What I was thinking.

AstroBull21    545
On 9/6/2017 at 1:15 AM, the admiral said:

IceCap, infrared, twi, and all other Floribros, stay safe this week!

Left Tampa on Sept 2 for a friends wedding in Nebraska on the 8th.  Was supposed to leave today, flight cancelled earlier in the week.  Then supposed to leave Tuesday, flight cancelled yesterday.  Now set to return to Tampa Friday the 15th.

Best of luck to the rest of y'all in Florida.  

Magic Dynasty    436

I've already lost at least one tree and another one's right on the fringe, and the worst hasn't even come yet. This is already the worst one I've ever been in when it comes to damage. Not optimistic about what I will see when I wake up next morning...

EDIT: Aaaand as soon as I post this part of my pool screen just broke. Seriously, Irma?

Edited by Magic Dynasty

sc49erfan15    881
23 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

So is it worth it living there if this is going to happen? Or are these storms so infrequent that it's just a minor inconvenience? When I was a kid, the river just south of us would flood every spring, and every spring, the local news would feature the same people over and over talking about how much they lost to the flood. Next year, same thing. It's hard to feel sorry for people who knowingly put themselves in harms way. So is it worth living there and you accept that things like this could happen? 

16 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

What I was thinking.

Easy to say when you're from an area that is relatively safe from natural disasters.

Yeah, maybe living along a river that predictably floods isn't the best idea, but most everywhere has its vulnerabilities. Earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, wildfires... their respective "hotspots" cover most of the U.S. Everyone can't live in upstate New York or the northern Great Plains.

hazard-9-9-2014-580x456.jpg

You're taking some sort of risk by living just about anywhere. Since Andrew in 1992, there have "only" been 7 major (Category 3+) hurricanes to hit Florida, and 5 of those were in 2004-05 alone. This is the first major one since Wilma in 2005 (Hermine in 2016 caused $500 million in damage, but no fatalities in Florida). Is the chance of a catastrophic event once every few years enough to abandon a place? I don't think so - but if yes, does it extend to Oklahoma and California too?

twi    271

Everything all good where I'm at, right on the line between Tampa and Brandon. Strong wind and what I'd call heavy thunderstorm rain but outside of that nothing. Lost power for about 30 minutes and that was the only out of the ordinary occurance. 

East of here got it much worse with people having power outages and school already canceled through 9/18 for the next county. 

Quasi-related, Facebook is strange. Some people just open up about every detail of their lives in uncomfortable ways. Logged in today to see what was up and it was dominated by the same three folks posting what seemed to be updates every 5 minutes all throughout yesterday. Also, I'll never understand the "thank the almighty god for sparing us from the storm (that the almighty god also sent if any logic is applicable here at all)" type posts. So what if my roof blew off, guess god just doesn't like me? Just strange. 

See Red    752

Tree branches scattered throughout our yard is about the extent of our "damage" from the storm.  We have a couple spots in our backyard that have pooled up with water but that happens just about every time we get a steady rain.  It rained all of yesterday and got pretty heavy in the early morning, but if Weather Underground is to be believed, we never had anything more than 25 mph sustained winds.  We didn't lose power until after the storm passed, and I suspect that was because they were working on something.  Hope everybody else here was as lucky as we were.

Ice_Cap    7,586

That was wild. Thank G-d it downgraded by the time it got to us. It looked like it was going to hit as a category 3 or 4. Instead it was around a low 2 or 1. No flooding, minimal damage in Tampa. It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

5 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

hazard-9-9-2014-580x456.jpg

That map doesn't seem accurate. It doesn't account for various Stephen King-related horrors that come with living in Maine.

Griffinmarlins    611

Been without power since 6 PM yesterday. I have friends in neighborhoods less than 4 miles away who had it go out around 1 PM yesterday and had it back by 6. This is ridiculous. Georgia Power needs to get its act together because they had an extreme lack of preparedness. 

sc49erfan15    881
17 hours ago, the admiral said:

And there seems to be a hazard level of 0 for living in Lake Superior!

Looks to me like the hazards of living in Duluth and/or Superior extend out into the lake.

There also appear to be hazard zones in the middle of southern Lake Michigan... and there aren't even any islands in that part of the lake.

the admiral    10,196

That's all the toxic waste leaching into the lake from Northwest Indiana. 

Seriously though, this does make a good point about the relative stability of the inland Northeast and how maybe it shouldn't have been abandoned the way it has been. Everyone can't live in upstate New York, but maybe someone should?

kroywen    1,392
4 minutes ago, the admiral said:

That's all the toxic waste leaching into the lake from Northwest Indiana. 

Seriously though, this does make a good point about the relative stability of the inland Northeast and how maybe it shouldn't have been abandoned the way it has been. Everyone can't live in upstate New York, but maybe someone should?

Yeah, honestly, it's a rather 'safe' area to live in terms of natural disasters, and can act as a connecting point between major metropolitan areas in the Northeast and in the Midwest/Canada. Brutally harsh winters and high taxes (both corporate and individual) are what killed that area, but it really does have some advantages that few other places in the country have.