NLL Expansion 2018

Jer15

On 9/15/2017 at 2:13 PM, Seadragon76 said:

Why Halifax? Doesn't it seem like a total outlier for the other teams??

I agree.

I don't really have a lot of details, on the rumor but I know the commissioner has been out there taking meetings fairly often. I would assume that either the Mooseheads ownership or (their former ownership) Moosehead brewery are in on this. 

Scotiabank Centre can hold just over 10 thousand so it would be a good size venue.

I'm just skeptical of the viability of teams that are this far away from the rest of the league or far away from a hotbed of players (as I mentioned with my Arizona example). 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking about all this travel stuff really kind of puts into perspective how incredible it is that Denver supports two separate lacrosse teams.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Talking about all this travel stuff really kind of puts into perspective how incredible it is that Denver supports two separate lacrosse teams.

Colorado has kind of become the western hot spot for lacrosse. You have two viable D-I programs in Denver and Air Force alongside the Mammoth of the NLL and the Outlaws of MLL.

On 09/12/2017 at 12:43 PM, mr.negative15 said:

Well....

Looks like the NLL is going to announce another expansion team. Back to Philly! Comcast is going to own the team, which may mean good things in terms of a TV deal with NBC sports? 

This is exactly the type of ownership I understand the NLL likes, a NHL (or NBA) owner so that it the NLL team isn't fighting for arena dates. 

I'm quite a bit more optimistic about this than San Diego but it seems like Nick Sakiewicz is following up on his promises so that is positive. 

I'm glad to see this but that brings the league up to 11 teams, so I assume they'll be looking to add a 12, hopefully they stop there. Too much growth may make the talent pool a little thin. 

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/nll-to-announce-franchise-returning-to-philadelphia/50453

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/other_sports/national-lacrosse-league-philadelphia-wings-comcast-spectacor-20170912.html?mobi=true

With Comcast owning the franchise, what this does is really put the squeeze on the Soul and Arena Football as a whole. Currently, the AFL just has 5 franchises with the Soul as the only one which isn't owned by the arena operator*.

*-Ted Leonsis owns both the Washington and Baltimore franchises. It ain't like Royal Farms (aka Baltimore) Arena is too busy to accept his preferred dates.

• 4 weeks later...

I found the column to be poorly written but in a nutshell; San Diego has their team name and they are holding a contest to have people guess the name.

We won't have to wait long, the name and logo will be released Oct 24.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-acee-joe-tsai-lacrosse-name-1010-story.html

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Well,

Philly has announced the top 3 names for their team and are asking for people to vote on them:

-Fire

-Founders

-Wings

There's no way that Wings doesn't win, right?

http://phillylax2018.wpengine.com/team-naming-contest/?mi_u=423341250

Just now, mr.negative15 said:

Well,

Philly has announced the top 3 names for their team and are asking for people to vote on them:

-Fire

-Founders

-Wings

There's no way that Wings doesn't win, right?

http://phillylax2018.wpengine.com/team-naming-contest/?mi_u=423341250

When Seattle was awarded an MLS franchise, ownership put out some names as possibilities.  In the end, Sounders won.  

This has the smell of it.  C'mon, we all know those of us who received the email are voting for WIngs.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Just now, Needschat said:

When Seattle was awarded an MLS franchise, ownership put out some names as possibilities.  In the end, Sounders won.  

This has the smell of it.  C'mon, we all know those of us who received the email are voting for WIngs.  

Yeah, I remember voting on that one :) 

I think you are correct, I can't picture anything other than Wings winning. 

26 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

Yeah, I remember voting on that one :) 

I think you are correct, I can't picture anything other than Wings winning. 

There are just certain names that belong with teams:

Seattle has its Sounders, Portland has its Timbers, Vancouver its Whitecaps

Tampa Bay its Rowdies, Memphis its Rogues.

Albany has its Patroons

Charlotte, Hornets.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

So, it looks like the NLL team in San Diego will be the Seals and that we will probably hear Halifax announced soon.

sd-sp-acee-san-diego-seals-lacrosse-1024

https://sealslax.com/press-release/san-diego-pro-lacrosse-team-named-seals

It's official. Reminds me of the Kings quiet a bit but I think it's a unique colour scheme for the NLL.  

Well...was working on a San Diego "SeaLIONS" package for the Concepts section when they released their identity today...

sdsl2.jpg.f906120be04f4e992e7d2b3ddb60aa05.jpg

Was thinking along the same lines kinda...A Seals/SeaLions theme...the inclusion of the trident in the logos...

I was going with the "Chargers" colour scheme (for historic reasons), but I really like the purple, gold, black and silver that they chose!

Thumbs-up on their primary and word mark...Good luck to the Seals!

• 1 month later...

So close but so far.

This should have been so easy. 

TmFH9UG.jpg

14 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

It's Wings... why the dour feelings man?

I'm guessing that the logo is the issue. I'm indifferent about it. The old one needed an update but this is a bit underwhelming. I also don't like the addition of gold. 

But I am just ecstatic to have the Philadelphia Wings back!

Archived