mr.negative15

NLL Expansion 2018

Just now, mr.negative15 said:

No Ravens? 

That's too bad. 

Yeah they also had an option to submit names, I did select Ravens but we'll see. With names like 'Blackfins' and 'Rainmakers' it sounds like they're trying to move in a more out of the box direction like typical NLL names.

56 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

FWIW I was contacted by the Canucks a few months ago after they purchased the Stealth regarding feedback on potential new names

the options were

Blackfins

Rainmakers

Kodiaks

Eagles

Warriors 

Totems

I'd go with Blackfins, Kodiaks, or Totems. 

BC Blackfins
Vancouver Kodiaks
Vancouver Totems

This may sound weird but I feel like if they chose Blackfins (which I'm not a fan of) we'll get a very similar looking logo to the Canucks. Same kind of orca thing, maybe just a secondary that is just the fin. 

I donno. Just a random thought

37 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Whatever they choose I hope it has a Tlingit look to it.

The Tlingit people historically occupied a territory well to the north of present day Vancouver. The Coast Salish people - particularly, the Squamish - were much more prevalent in and around what is now the City of Vancouver, British Columbia. 

Interesting tidbit from an article about the CFL team name in Halifax:

People who have laid down season ticket deposits have also had the opportunity to submit their own team names, and at least two — Privateers and Destroyers — proved intriguing, said LeBlanc.

He said Privateers was a particular favourite, although it ultimately can't be used.

"Unfortunately it (Privateers) has already been secured by the lacrosse team that is coming to town," he said.

Hmmm...

Dang, I would have preferred something like the Kingfishers using the orange and blue from their flag.

And we’re back in business!

www.nll.com/news/national-lacrosse-league-and-plpa-reach-new-collective-bargaining-agreement/

wish that it was more than 5 years (I remember a time when that seemed long.....I’m getting old aren’t I? Damn) but at least we’ll see the league more forward to Halifax and beyond. 

On 11/26/2018 at 1:40 AM, mr.negative15 said:

And we’re back in business!

www.nll.com/news/national-lacrosse-league-and-plpa-reach-new-collective-bargaining-agreement/

wish that it was more than 5 years (I remember a time when that seemed long.....I’m getting old aren’t I? Damn) but at least we’ll see the league more forward to Halifax and beyond. 

Now that we know the December 15th games will happen, I can't wait for the Wings home opener! My wife got season tickets for my birthday. 

1 hour ago, willmorris said:

So with 13 teams, I guess they're going three divisions, East, Central, West?

I suspect that they'll just kind of leave things as-is for now as they are working on expansion all over the place and I'm sure they are hoping that will help the balance out.

I know that 16 to 18 was the original number but Nick Sakiewicz (commish) has talked about 30 more recently.

For the record, I think that 30 is a little optimistic. They've done a good job getting people with actual money involved (Canucks taking over in Vancouver, COMCAST with the new Philly team, ect) and they should set the standard high. The league suffered for years from teams popping up and disappearing a couple years later. 

I believe, at last I heard, that a return to Minnesota involving Wild ownership is very likely. 

To date, there's been chatter about Halifax, Long Island and, Dallas out there. We've seen 2 of those come to fruition, I assume we'll see the 3rd as well though I'm not sure who the owners are in Dallas. 

There's been a lot of NBA links too after Joe Tsai/San Diego joined the league.

I also heard that the commish met with the Montreal Canadians ownership as well as the Nashville Preditors ownership. Not sure if anything came from those meetings but that's what I've heard.

3 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Another team coming to the NLL in 2019: 

3rd time's a charm for NYC?

I love this, as it gives the Wings a geographical rival.