NLL Expansion 2018

Jer15

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, mr.negative15 said:

No Ravens? 

That's too bad. 

Yeah they also had an option to submit names, I did select Ravens but we'll see. With names like 'Blackfins' and 'Rainmakers' it sounds like they're trying to move in a more out of the box direction like typical NLL names.

56 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

FWIW I was contacted by the Canucks a few months ago after they purchased the Stealth regarding feedback on potential new names

the options were

Blackfins

Rainmakers

Kodiaks

Eagles

Warriors 

Totems

I'd go with Blackfins, Kodiaks, or Totems. 

BC Blackfins
Vancouver Kodiaks
Vancouver Totems

This may sound weird but I feel like if they chose Blackfins (which I'm not a fan of) we'll get a very similar looking logo to the Canucks. Same kind of orca thing, maybe just a secondary that is just the fin. 

I donno. Just a random thought

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

37 minutes ago, sohiosportsfreak said:

Whatever they choose I hope it has a Tlingit look to it.

The Tlingit people historically occupied a territory well to the north of present day Vancouver. The Coast Salish people - particularly, the Squamish - were much more prevalent in and around what is now the City of Vancouver, British Columbia. 

• 2 months later...

Interesting tidbit from an article about the CFL team name in Halifax:

People who have laid down season ticket deposits have also had the opportunity to submit their own team names, and at least two — Privateers and Destroyers — proved intriguing, said LeBlanc.

He said Privateers was a particular favourite, although it ultimately can't be used.

"Unfortunately it (Privateers) has already been secured by the lacrosse team that is coming to town," he said.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

And we’re back in business!

www.nll.com/news/national-lacrosse-league-and-plpa-reach-new-collective-bargaining-agreement/

wish that it was more than 5 years (I remember a time when that seemed long.....I’m getting old aren’t I? Damn) but at least we’ll see the league more forward to Halifax and beyond. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 11/26/2018 at 1:40 AM, mr.negative15 said:

And we’re back in business!

www.nll.com/news/national-lacrosse-league-and-plpa-reach-new-collective-bargaining-agreement/

wish that it was more than 5 years (I remember a time when that seemed long.....I’m getting old aren’t I? Damn) but at least we’ll see the league more forward to Halifax and beyond. 

Now that we know the December 15th games will happen, I can't wait for the Wings home opener! My wife got season tickets for my birthday. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another team coming to the NLL in 2019: 

3rd time's a charm for NYC?

1 hour ago, willmorris said:

So with 13 teams, I guess they're going three divisions, East, Central, West?

I suspect that they'll just kind of leave things as-is for now as they are working on expansion all over the place and I'm sure they are hoping that will help the balance out.

I know that 16 to 18 was the original number but Nick Sakiewicz (commish) has talked about 30 more recently.

For the record, I think that 30 is a little optimistic. They've done a good job getting people with actual money involved (Canucks taking over in Vancouver, COMCAST with the new Philly team, ect) and they should set the standard high. The league suffered for years from teams popping up and disappearing a couple years later. 

I believe, at last I heard, that a return to Minnesota involving Wild ownership is very likely. 

To date, there's been chatter about Halifax, Long Island and, Dallas out there. We've seen 2 of those come to fruition, I assume we'll see the 3rd as well though I'm not sure who the owners are in Dallas. 

There's been a lot of NBA links too after Joe Tsai/San Diego joined the league.

I also heard that the commish met with the Montreal Canadians ownership as well as the Nashville Preditors ownership. Not sure if anything came from those meetings but that's what I've heard.

• 1 month later...

It looks as though the Halifax-based NLL team has settled upon an identity.

While Atlantic Highlanders and Halifax Highlanders are still registered for trademark protection, Halifax Privateers is now listed as "DEAD" with the USPTO. Meanwhile, the National Lacrosse League filed the name Halifax Thunderbirds with the USPTO on January 16th, along with the following logo:

fGd5WX4m.jpg

As for other rumored expansion cities and their potential identities, we know the following are still kicking around:

BOSTON
Boston Shamrocks

NEW YORK

New York Beacons
New York Force
New York Riptide

Archived