McQ

WESTEROS FOOTBALL

LEAGUE

What's up everyone. For my first post I am proud to present a project I have been working on for quite a bit. If you're a fan of Game of Thrones and the NFL, then this may be for you. The project takes the question, "What if Westeros had its own professional football league?", and brings it to life. For those that are unfamiliar, Westeros is the main continent of the World of Ice and Fire, and the setting of the very popular HBO show, Game of Thrones. Based off the best-selling book series by George RR Martin, Game of Thrones just wrapped up its seventh season. With the NFL season starting, I thought it would be a great time to present this series. Without further ado, here it is.

THE TEAMS

Each team is based off one of the major houses in Westeros. The teams' uniforms and branding draw from different aspects of each house such as the house sigil, the house words, characters attire, and more. You may also notice some teams draw inspiration from NFL teams as well. I have decided to begin with twelve teams to keep things simple, however, there is definitely the possibility of expanding beyond that in the future.

WFL-Logo.thumb.jpg.68c94dfe135ff87e963f333de472acc0.jpg

The North

Castle Black Crows

Bear Island Bears

Winterfell Direwolves

The East

Eyrie Falcons

Dragonstone Dragons

Storm's End Stags

The West

Pyke Kraken

Clegane's Keep Kennel

Lannisport Lions

The South

Riverrun Trout

Highgarden Flowers

Sunspear Sandsnakes

WesterosMap.thumb.png.5bae18c425b25c99f551227bea0b5afe.png

Dragonstone Dragons

Dragons_Logo.thumb.png.76f7a4ea28fd49994ef8f1a22983dbfe.png

Named for the most fearsome creatures in all of Westeros, the Dragons identity draws inspiration directly from the sigil of House Targaryen. The wings of a dragon are featured on the helmet, while the spiky tail of a dragon is featured on the shoulders and pants.

Behance_Action.thumb.jpg.324d9af4ab84815d165999770160b473.jpg

Behance_1.thumb.jpg.153853cd1b14136d5d8038e6c27e4b16.jpg

Behance-5.thumb.jpg.356df5540ba4c0b8b05845472e3ce142.jpg

Behance_3.thumb.jpg.07610ce2d62ebff9197e9548e3358430.jpg

Behance_4.thumb.jpg.2a333e76512fb8200f63947089bd5c5b.jpg

View project on Behance

The main logo isn't all that great imo, but you uniform presentation won me over. Perhaps for the "D" monogram, you could add a wing to make it more interesting and tie it in with the uniform? Just a thought. I'll be looking forward to the rest of the league!

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

1 hour ago, HoopsCoach55 said:

Not a bad start at all! I might reverse the tail on the helmet, but overall I like it.

Thanks! Reverse the tail so the end is facing forwards? I don't think that would make sense as the way it is now presents everything as moving in one forward direction.

1 hour ago, neo_prankster said:

Good start so far. Looking forward to the completion of this series.

Thanks! Looking forward to getting feedback as I present these.

1 hour ago, ZionEagle said:

The main logo isn't all that great imo, but you uniform presentation won me over. Perhaps for the "D" monogram, you could add a wing to make it more interesting and tie it in with the uniform? Just a thought. I'll be looking forward to the rest of the league!

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the main logo is nothing special. This is something I worked on for quite a bit and eventually settled on something very simple. The crown obviously represents the one united kingdom of Westeros, while the seven stripes represent the seven individual kingdoms that make up the entire realm. I really like your idea of adding a wing or wings to the D. That is something I will definitely work on and think could really tie the logo and uniforms together.

28 minutes ago, McQ said:

Thanks! Reverse the tail so the end is facing forwards? I don't think that would make sense as the way it is now presents everything as moving in one forward direction.

Thanks! Looking forward to getting feedback as I present these.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that the main logo is nothing special. This is something I worked on for quite a bit and eventually settled on something very simple. The crown obviously represents the one united kingdom of Westeros, while the seven stripes represent the seven individual kingdoms that make up the entire realm. I really like your idea of adding a wing or wings to the D. That is something I will definitely work on and think could really tie the logo and uniforms together.

No problem! Oh no, I didn't mean the main logo. Now that the image is actually showing up, I think your main logo is fine. The symbolism behind it is great, and I actually like the simplicity of it. I was just referring to the D logo in particular.

Good luck with the rest of the series!

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

Just now, ZionEagle said:

No problem! Oh no, I didn't mean the main logo. Now that the image is actually showing up, I think your main logo is fine. The symbolism behind it is great, and I actually like the simplicity of it. I was just referring to the D logo in particular.

Good luck with the rest of the series!

That makes sense. The D logo was an idea I had but something I kind of added after I finished the uniforms. It's definitely something that needs to be fleshed out a bit more, and like I said, I think your suggestion of the addition of a wing or wings would really help it out!

Guest darkpiranha

Nice!  I've seen a ton of Game of Thrones/Star Wars/Marvel/DC football leagues by this point and initially rolled my eyes when I saw the title of this thread, but presentation can cure many ills.  This is pretty slick and I'm now looking forward to the rest of the teams.  

Archived