Bruins

Odd Things That Creep(ed) You Out

Hat Boy    213
3 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Is it because they sometimes don't even really look like people? I dunno - I think it's the eyes. They're just... soulless.

I don't like the forensic reconstructions--applying clay to a skull to try to determine what an unknown victim looked like.

In particular, the one of this girl whose body was found in Eklunta, AK.  This picture unnerved me so much, I literally had to tear it out of book I was reading.

Bruins    568
13 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

I don't like the forensic reconstructions--applying clay to a skull to try to determine what an unknown victim looked like.

In particular, the one of this girl whose body was found in Eklunta, AK.  This picture unnerved me so much, I literally had to tear it out of book I was reading.

:jawdrop:

andycumbee19    400
1 hour ago, Hat Boy said:

Pic won't show up for me.  I can't tell if I'll be terrified or not... 

Alex Houston    185
3 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

The one where it's a cannibal? I can't see how they could have been going for anything  besides creepy.

Is that what it's supposed to be? Silence of the Lambs meets Cold Stone Creamery?

NoE38    412

Wireless Signals. For some reason, just knowing they're there and travelling through the air. The sound of static on a radio creeps me out so much, Or when a GPS loses a satellite signal.

Secondly, ceiling lights/fans. I had a dream one night when I was 2 or 3 where the ceiling light in my room came to life and fell on me while laughing. I still find it really hard to sleep with a light hanging over my bed, Even though I know nothing bad is going to happen.

BeerGuyJordan    876
9 hours ago, Hat Boy said:

This actually makes a lot of sense. Things begin to look too lifelike, while still missing that spark of life, and it unsettles us. One prevailing theory is that it has to do with setting off our survival instinct. The cold dead eyes are something we're conditioned to recognize in psychopaths, as an evolutionary response.

I had a roommate who does computer animation for Dreamworks, now. There's been tons of research done on the uncanny valley and why it unnerves people so much. He was the one who first told me about it. 

ninersdd    348

I remember this one woman on my moms favorite soap opera and was possessed by the devil really scared me was I was like 4 or 5.

When I was a kid I was perfectly fine being home alone, but I was always creeped out when I was home with nobody except a cat.  It happened at my grandmas a lot and I always thought it was watching me constantly

osctheg    71
19 minutes ago, Lenny Dykstra said:

When I was a kid I was perfectly fine being home alone, but I was always creeped out when I was home with nobody except a cat.  It happened at my grandmas a lot and I always thought it was watching me constantly

It probably was

KittSmith_95    628

My cousin has this stupid monkey toy that would sing the Macarena song, and for some odd reason it triggered a ton of nightmares for me as a kid until I was about 10. The monkey itself would assume identities, kidnap people, kidnap me, etc. 

jmac11281    1,094
On 9/13/2017 at 0:47 AM, ninersdd said:

I remember this one woman on my moms favorite soap opera and was possessed by the devil really scared me was I was like 4 or 5.

Days of Our Lives? My mom watches it back in the day.

dfwabel    995

The 67 foot tall Sam Houston "A Tribute to Courage" statue on I-45 in Huntsville, Texas. It is about 100 yards off the interstate. 

SVaSbU7.jpg

I am instantly reminded of The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror VI when Lisa and Paul Anka sang, "Just Don't Look".  When driving past it, I always imagine the statue coming to life and stabbing cars with its cane. 

Magic Dynasty    437

We had these fake plants in the house when I was a kid, and they were similar to pineapples in that the edges of the leaves were spiky. I had this dream when I was about 3 or 4 about them becoming alive and chasing me through the house. For the next 2-3 years, I would stay away from them every chance I can, and if I had to go past them I would run full sprint. Come to think of it now, I don't understand young me.

DNAsports    516
On 9/12/2017 at 6:26 PM, jmac11281 said:

Ventriloquist dolls. Creeped me out back then and they still do.

These and porcelain dolls. Can't look at them without getting the heebie-jeebies