Bruins

Odd Things That Creep(ed) You Out

Bruins    563

I recently discovered that possibly the least creepy show ever has a dedicated community that claim certain sketches on Sesame Street scared the *bleep* out of them as kids... or still. So I wondered what unlikely stuff freaked or freaks this community out? The idea isn't to post a clip from Saw, but more of a "I don't know why, but..." mentality.

For me it'll always be the video for Genesis' Land of Confusion. For such a great song the video is creepy as all get out. Reagan is terrifying.

Go crazy!

BeerGuyJordan    873

Lawn gnomes. It's not a full-blown phobia, more that they creep me out, a bit. This is literally the first time I've told anyone. I know my girlfriend would buy one, for the express purpose of skeeving me out, if she knew.

McCarthy    6,595

Even as a small child I was always creeped out by low budget TV shows directed at kids especially if puppetry or a large costumed animal was involved. Your Barney, your Gulla Gulla Island, Lambchop, Mr Rogers, etc. 

The worst, though, was a show that ran on Nickelodeon when I was a kid called Weinerville which consisted of a guy named Marc Weiner performing as characters with tiny puppet bodies that used his own head and face and they had sets built around his head. I hated it. Sometimes he would get people from the studio audience who go in this "machine" which would turn them into one of the puppets and they'd throw pies at their faces and stuff. Shivers. 

osctheg    71

Ronald McDonald. I always had nightmares that he had me locked in a playplace.

Bruins    563
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Even as a small child I was always creeped out by low budget TV shows directed at kids especially if puppetry or a large costumed animal was involved. Your Barney, your Gulla Gulla Island, Lambchop, Mr Rogers, etc. 

The worst, though, was a show that ran on Nickelodeon when I was a kid called Weinerville which consisted of a guy named Marc Weiner performing as characters with tiny puppet bodies that used his own head and face and they had sets built around his head. I hated it. Sometimes he would get people from the studio audience who go in this "machine" which would turn them into one of the puppets and they'd throw pies at their faces and stuff. Shivers. 

YES. For some reason any sort of puppet created outside of the Muppet Workshop is bone-chilling to me. It seems like it's impossible for anyone else to create a half-normal looking creation out of felt and fur.

One kids show in particular that I remember being especially eerie was "Its a Big, Big, World" on PBS. The main character was a rather weighty, monotone, full-bodied sloth costume that taught kids about nature and then feasted on their hopes and dreams, or something like that. Anyway, just look at him with his five-o-clock shadow and cold, dead eyes. Would it have been so hard to make him look at least approachable? Apparently it would've, yes.

image.thumb.jpeg.4034f1ad2c03e0177edafa080c98e21c.jpeg

FGM13    677

Moths. Big, fuzzy, evil butterflies that are the incarnation of evil on this Earth. Ugh.

Brass    1,594

My grandmother had an old Raggedy Ann doll in her basement. I'm sure if I told her about the years of paranoia I had over the object coming to life, she'd apologize because she's the sweetest old women, but got-damn, that thing scared me. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I'd have weekly nightmares about it. I had an extremely vivid dream when I was about four or five where I opened a closet door and an eight-foot Raggedy Ann appeared and tried choking me.

I also heard "Fire on High" by ELO when I was really young and for some reason, it scared the absolute crap out of me.

PaperThin    189
2 hours ago, FGM13 said:

Moths. Big, fuzzy, evil butterflies that are the incarnation of evil on this Earth. Ugh.

That isn't a childhood fear or anything, thats a true terror. Those little bastards from hell, I hate them.

Tigers6884    299

I just recently had a dream where a sleeping newborn I was cradling fell out of my hands, split its head open, and brownish-grey brain matter spilled out. I was pretty traumatized and didn't know whether to vomit or cry when I woke up.

Cosmic    2,501
5 hours ago, Tigers6884 said:

I just recently had a dream where a sleeping newborn I was cradling fell out of my hands, split its head open, and brownish-grey brain matter spilled out. I was pretty traumatized and didn't know whether to vomit or cry when I woke up.

I had a much better version of that dream. Around the time my second kid was born, I had a dream where I was holding her and her head fell off like a football being blown off a kicking tee. But then I just put her head back on. I remember calling 911 in my dream, like "MY BABY'S HEAD FELL OFF, BUT I PUT IT BACK ON... AND NOW IT'S... OK?!?!?"

BeerGuyJordan    873
2 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I had a much better version of that dream. Around the time my second kid was born, I had a dream where I was holding her and her head fell off like a football being blown off a kicking tee. But then I just put her head back on. I remember calling 911 in my dream, like "MY BABY'S HEAD FELL OFF, BUT I PUT IT BACK ON... AND NOW IT'S... OK?!?!?"

See, just having a newborn living in my home would be the stuff of nightmares. To each their own, but neither Jessica nor I want kids.

officeglenn    303

I remember watching E.T. when I was maybe five years old and being scared out of my ever-loving mind, particularly (I think) when he landed on Earth. I haven't watched it since, but I have a strong suspicion that, if I did, I would be embarrassed about having been so scared of it before.

BeerGuyJordan    873
45 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

I remember watching E.T. when I was maybe five years old and being scared out of my ever-loving mind, particularly (I think) when he landed on Earth. I haven't watched it since, but I have a strong suspicion that, if I did, I would be embarrassed about having been so scared of it before.

I was two or three when I first saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That one scene with Christopher Lloyd, at the end, scared the hell out of me. So much so that my parents still crack jokes about it. If I were to watch it now, I'm sure I'd be a bit embarassed, as well.

sc49erfan15    881
17 minutes ago, Walter Sobchak said:

The intro for Are You Afraid of the Dark used to scare me when I was a kid.

Ok, that's not an "odd thing," that's the entire point of the show and intro. Things that are supposed to be scary can't be an "odd thing that creeps you out."

I think we've had a thread similar to this before, but composite sketches still kinda give me the heebiejeebies. As a kid, I would cover my eyes whenever one unexpectedly popped up on Unsolved Mysteries or America's Most Wanted or whatever.

police-sketches-2.jpg 7927d5d3446dbe9758d1927dcc1f590c--sketches-police.jpg

Is it because they're wanted for doing something bad? Is it because they sometimes don't even really look like people? I dunno - I think it's the eyes. They're just... soulless.

And, I'm going to go ahead and beat you to the punch - this composite sketch does not freak me out. :lol:

leprechaunsketchjpg-fd696cd31b55ddaa.jpg

lopernv    300

Automated attendants (i.e. if you're calling about <issue>, press 1) did and still really creep me out, especially late at night and alone. There is just something about those voices that are a bit ominous.

McCarthy    6,595
1 hour ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Ok, that's not an "odd thing," that's the entire point of the show and intro. Things that are supposed to be scary can't be an "odd thing that creeps you out."

I think we've had a thread similar to this before, but composite sketches still kinda give me the heebiejeebies. As a kid, I would cover my eyes whenever one unexpectedly popped up on Unsolved Mysteries or America's Most Wanted or whatever.

police-sketches-2.jpg 7927d5d3446dbe9758d1927dcc1f590c--sketches-police.jpg

Is it because they're wanted for doing something bad? Is it because they sometimes don't even really look like people? I dunno - I think it's the eyes. They're just... soulless.

A lot of composite sketches look creepy because whether the artist is rushing or isn't well-trained or trying to draw a person from descriptions they always seem to make some fundamental drawing errors that make the faces seem unnatural. Easy example here in both of those, but the right one especially, the eyes are way too high on their face. Most people's eyes are about at the center point of the bottom of the chin and the top of the head. 

BeerGuyJordan    873
27 minutes ago, Alex Houston said:

That Little Baby's Ice Cream ad. 

You all know what I'm talking about. 

The one where it's a cannibal? I can't see how they could have been going for anything  besides creepy.