Sign in to follow this  
Germanshepherd

New Seattle Seahawks alternate logo

Recommended Posts

shaydre1019    210
4 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

 

I'm not sure they were actually going for that...it seems like more of a coincidence that their frontal logo happens to look vaguely like totem pole imagery.  

 

If they really wanted to make it look like something from a totem pole, they could have done that, but they didn't. 

Their primary logo (and now uniforms) is actually based on northwestern art. 

 

So it was either based on a totem pole or a bird/hawk northwestern illustration, which have the same characteristics. 

I'm not a fan of the logo, i think a more accurate representation of what their logo would actually look like is possible, but they missed the mark. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WSU151    2,412

I think they could have used more design elements to really tie it in to the totem poles...more accents/strokes, maybe change the eyes a bit, something that says "oh wow, you really added to the imagery"...not just lazily flip and stretch the primary logo.

 

They presented it as "what a seahawk would look like from the front"...which to me says they were trying to go more realistic rather than artsy.  It's in a weird middle-ground that rather sucks.

 

The Thunderbirds mastered the totem pole look.  I guess I was hoping that it would be more like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jmac11281    1,094

If they wanted the logo to match the northwestern art, they should revert back to the original logo. Can't get much more like northwestern art than that. I'm a big Seahawks fan but the logo is awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pharos04    167
35 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Someone here had a front-facing Patriots logo as an avatar. This is basically that.

that was me.  I have to actively search to try and find it again but I will update this post if I happen to come across it.

 

But when I did it sloppily in paint, I tried to make it look like what it would look like had you looked at the Elvis from the front.  This....this misses the mark.  The seahawk has a rise on its beak where it meets the eye, that's completely ignored here.  I just can't help but see a warped Seahawk logo mirrored

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Survival79    150
4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I don't think it's a coincidence. The original was supposed to resemble a totem pole and the update just made it look angrier and italicized and the forward facing logo is just the profile logo mashed to look 3 dimensional.

 

4 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Their primary logo (and now uniforms) is actually based on northwestern art. 

 

So it was either based on a totem pole or a bird/hawk northwestern illustration, which have the same characteristics. 

I'm not a fan of the logo, i think a more accurate representation of what their logo would actually look like is possible, but they missed the mark. 

 

Native mask that inspired Seahawks logo on display at University of Washington's Burke Museum

 

yxTSMPa.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Viola73    73
6 hours ago, OldRamsFan said:

Here's what I can't unsee: the blue area I outlined in the image below looks like the overhead view of a soaring bird with a very long beak.

seahawk-new.jpg.659a837ec2cd76e58520d520781353ee.jpg

That, or a stylized sting ray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pharos04    167
7 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

that was me.  I have to actively search to try and find it again but I will update this post if I happen to come across it.

 

But when I did it sloppily in paint, I tried to make it look like what it would look like had you looked at the Elvis from the front.  This....this misses the mark.  The seahawk has a rise on its beak where it meets the eye, that's completely ignored here.  I just can't help but see a warped Seahawk logo mirrored

I apologize sincerely for the quality.........

apparently I made this about 12 years ago

 

IMG_1038.PNG.79c3552d7d2002663c4bb822b4026350.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dsaline97    460
2 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

I apologize sincerely for the quality.........

apparently I made this about 12 years ago

 

IMG_1038.PNG.79c3552d7d2002663c4bb822b4026350.PNG

This would make a fun series:

 

"Unnecessary logos in the style of the poorly-rendered Seahawks logo"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
capn89    30
On 9/7/2017 at 3:17 PM, OldRamsFan said:

Here's what I can't unsee: the blue area I outlined in the image below looks like the overhead view of a soaring bird with a very long beak.

seahawk-new.jpg.659a837ec2cd76e58520d520781353ee.jpg

 

Probably just a Quetzalcoatlus swooping in to pick up an Anky to do some mining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gothamite    5,897
1 hour ago, phutmasterflex said:

Did not realize that the new Seahawks logo is the one that's attached to the official hashtag 

4PITfPl.png

 

 

Of course we did. 

 

But under new rules, secondary logos can't have their own threads. So it can get buried in these megathreads. 

 

This might be a good example of why the new rule isn't a great one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
C-Squared    798
On 9/5/2017 at 8:30 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Seahawks Facebook posted this. 

IMG_1440.PNG

 

tumblr_o8rx12Zsb51qep51no1_400.gif

 

I have both loved and hated this logo several times since it came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BringBackTheVet    4,173
4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

 

Of course we did. 

 

But under new rules, secondary logos can't have their own threads. So it can get buried in these megathreads. 

 

This might be a good example of why the new rule isn't a great one. 

 

I'm not sure you're interpreting the rule correctly.  My interpretation is that it's stating that major updates have to have their own thread split off from the megathread, and that minor updates / tweaks can remain in the megathread.  There's nothing that says they have to remain there, or that you can't make a new thread for a new alternate logo, or for anything you personally feel is significant enough to discuss outside of the megathread.  I think it makes sense.  It handles the big things objectively, while leaving the little things to user discretion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gothamite    5,897
1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

I'm not sure you're interpreting the rule correctly.  My interpretation is that it's stating that major updates have to have their own thread split off from the megathread, and that minor updates / tweaks can remain in the megathread.  There's nothing that says they have to remain there, or that you can't make a new thread for a new alternate logo, or for anything you personally feel is significant enough to discuss outside of the megathread.  I think it makes sense.  It handles the big things objectively, while leaving the little things to user discretion. 

 

I would happily yield to your interpretation, because in my interpretation it's kind of a bad policy, applying broad strokes where individual consideration is best. 

 

An anniversary mark is specifically listed as something that should not be given its own thread.  So are "tertiary marks", although that's not defined either in the policy or on the team pages.  This seems to fall into that category, since the seahawks already have two logos in strong rotation, the helmet logo and a version with the wordmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this