Stratford Warriors go symbolic with new logo

nash61

I stumbled across this one today and was blown away by the professionalism of it. Finally a logo contest that went right, with a local artist delivering a top-notch, unique design. This logo will be used for both the minor hockey association and the junior B team. 

Franchise history was as the Stratford Cullitons until the Culliton family withdrew their sponsorship two years ago. The team kept the Indian head and rebranded back as the Warriors for last season, then switched what kind of Warrior they are. 

Fun fact: Justin Bieber has that Indian head logo tattooed on his chest, as he is a native of Stratford.

https://stratfordminorhockey.com/Articles/8237/NEW_Logo_Introduced/

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

It's a definite upgrade, kudos to the team for properly doing a design-a-logo contest properly. To nitpick, I do think that it could be improved through some simplification in reducing the amount of shading and shrinking or removing the swan all together. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, GeauxColonels said:

I think I'd like it more without the swan.

No, you need the swan for Stratford! I'd sooner lose the knight and keep the swan.

Yeah, it's a good logo. Warriors is a good sports nickname, if you can keep it while getting rid of any ~problematic~ Native imagery, great.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 9/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, the admiral said:

No, you need the swan for Stratford! I'd sooner lose the knight and keep the swan.

Yeah, it's a good logo. Warriors is a good sports nickname, if you can keep it while getting rid of any ~problematic~ Native imagery, great.

On 9/12/2017 at 5:59 PM, Ice_Cap said:

The swan has local significance. 

I understand it has local significance. But that doesn't change the fact that it looks out of place and forced. The knight is a great logo. I stand by my initial assessment that, from a purely aesthetic point of view, it looks awkward.

gYH2mW9.png

Certainly an upgrade in my opinion. As for the swan, if it wasn't there I would feel like there was something missing to it. It works very well in this instance and as others have pointed out, is an important symbol of Stratford (and it's better to add waterfowl than Shakespeare or Bieber to your team's logo).

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

I'd buy merch for the Stratford 'Speares with a skating Bard using his stick to poke someone in the nuts. Even if Brandiose had the job. The rest of you guys would too. Don't lie.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The swan does look a little out of place at first, but I actually think it ties together the logo very nicely at the bottom. If it were just the wordmark at the bottom, the logo would be way too bottom-heavy. The swan does a great job of balancing everything out.

I've always thought that teams named the "Warriors" would be wise to go with other war-like imagery, outside of Native American imagery. Obviously the Golden State Warriors did it for years, but it seems like such an obvious choice in order to decouple the Warriors name from potentially offensive imagery or connotations.

3 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The swan does look a little out of place at first, but I actually think it ties together the logo very nicely at the bottom. If it were just the wordmark at the bottom, the logo would be way too bottom-heavy. The swan does a great job of balancing everything out.

I've always thought that teams named the "Warriors" would be wise to go with other war-like imagery, outside of Native American imagery. Obviously the Golden State Warriors did it for years, but it seems like such an obvious choice in order to decouple the Warriors name from potentially offensive imagery or connotations.

And it's so easy to go outside Native American imagery while using the nickname Warriors. It boggles the mind to see how Marquette University couldn't figure out this easy fix. Warriors is a generic term, which can easily apply elsewhere. The futuristic warrior used by Golden State was well-executed. 

59 minutes ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

And it's so easy to go outside Native American imagery while using the nickname Warriors. It boggles the mind to see how Marquette University couldn't figure out this easy fix. Warriors is a generic term, which can easily apply elsewhere. The futuristic warrior used by Golden State was well-executed. 

I was thinking the exact same thing about Marquette University. Even though they've been the , um, Golden Eagles for the better part of my lifetime. They will always be the Warriors to me. I was hoping when they did the same thing about 10 years ago, only to be treated to the whole "Gold" debacle. This is an amazing way to capture the strength and nobility that one thinks of when they think of a Warrior. 

packchampionslfroh.png

I'm a graphic designer for a team in this league (London Nationals in the Western Conference) and let me tell you, there are some pretty horrid logos and designs in this league. Stratford's rebrand was honestly one of my favourites for this season. Their uniforms need a bit of an upgrade IMO, love the colour scheme, but the jerseys could be a bit better.

If anyone is curious, this is what they used as a placeholder logo last year:

36455122983_68f977430e_z.jpg

DJhZDVzVoAAroMI.jpg

DJhXTv6V4AAhnzz.jpg

DJhY2oOWAAAVq0U.jpg

Archived