Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, P.I.L.L. said:

:D Genuine Thanks Jake! for bringing to my attention. Truly interesting and provocative~considering it's fundamentally the same as my DC baseball concept

( D & C forming curves of baseball stitches) : copyright protected / published by myself, (originally in 2005) long before that designer...

 

 

 

 

Cool. Mind providing a link/evidence to your copyright?

 

I will say, whoever designed that t-shirt executed the idea in a much cleaner way from a design standpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, P.I.L.L. said:

:D Thanks Jake! for bringing that to my attention. Truly interesting and provocative~considering it's fundamentally the same as my DC baseball concept

( D & C forming curves of baseball stitches) : copyright protected / published by myself, (originally in 2005) long before that designer... 

 

 

 

I’m definitely seeing the 2005 in this concept

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I’m definitely seeing the 2005 in this concept

I agree. I would ditch the gradient on the baseball, and make the stitches thinner so they;re not taking over the entire shape of the baseball. Look at a real baseball and try to replicate the thickness and curve as best as you can. This will probably require you getting a new font for the DC but I think that change was already necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 4:36 PM, OhioSportsMan61 said:

 

Cool. Mind providing a link/evidence to your copyright?

 

I will say, whoever designed that t-shirt executed the idea in a much cleaner way from a design standpoint.

 

You're correct. Her version of my original idea ( DC forming stitches of a baseball ) is simpler.  Yes, probably no gradient would work better. 

 

Per your request, here's one public displaying from 2009 of my DC Baseball concept.  Keep in mind, this is a rough / busy illustration that's morphed styles over the years to become "cleaner".  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1116771394857&set=pb.1094136711.-2207520000.1523232982.&type=3&theater

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jake3.roo said:

I agree. I would ditch the gradient on the baseball, and make the stitches thinner so they;re not taking over the entire shape of the baseball. Look at a real baseball and try to replicate the thickness and curve as best as you can. This will probably require you getting a new font for the DC but I think that change was already necessary.

 

Thanks Jake... I thinned the stitching further, however kept the font (for now) The stitches were much narrower before, however didn't match the thickness of the letters, especially from a distance as D&C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, P.I.L.L. said:

 

Thanks Jake... I thinned the stitching further, however kept the font (for now) The stitches were much narrower before, however didn't match the thickness of the letters, especially from a distance as D&C

I think what I'm trying to say is use a thinner font so the stitches don't have to be thick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated 04/11/19 , Removed outline from stitching + thinned further.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated 04/15/18 , adjusted stitching + uniform edits ~ work in progress... mostly encouraging response from Nationals fans so far!  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

updated 06/30/18 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

updated 07/19/18

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DC BASEBALL

Updated 10/8/18 DC "bowtie" baseball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DC Baseball 100918 cj

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Placebo said:

Why can't I see the bowtie?

*facepalm* the Baseball is the button and the d and c are the, wings, if that’s what you want to call them. It’s not a literal bow tie.

 

But the seams are to clustered and packed too tight, look at mlb logos for a simpler baseball design. Also disappointed I can’t see the evolution and progress, gets kinda confusing the way you update it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D&C are the only letters in the English alphabet that mirror in such a way to ideally fit the seams of the baseball... that's the genius of the IDEA.. not to look like a literal bowtie.

 

as for the stitches, yeahhhh always been a real bitch trying figuring that out!!! see, if they're not thick in that way, it doesn't work to double as the letter form... anyway, I've done enough focus groups w/ Nationals fans to know the symbol's a winner... and w/ a bit more polish, may or may not wind up in MLB... ;))))  Thank you for your cc though... otherwise, can you show me a better Nats alt?  or hey, can you make a better version of MY original design concept ?!  if so, great... cause WHEN I sell it to the team or apparel co, I'll offer you a % seriously.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting idea, but the execution still isn't there.  The stitching on the baseball just doesn't yet look like an actual baseball.  I know you say that level of compression is necessary for it to read as a continuation of the D and C, but I have to disagree based on how clean and more baseball-accurate the girl's t-shirt version is.  I think it would be valuable for you to at least try to make some more accurate/simple versions of the stitching to see if/when the illusion of continuation falls apart.  

 

And in general, I'd advise to slow down the claims of someone 'stealing' your idea.  When you've been around long enough, you realize that duplicate ideas are created ALL THE TIME.  A sad game I play with myself is every time I come up with what I think is a great idea for a meme or a team name or fill in the blank on something clever, I do a google search to see if anyone has already tread the ground of the idea I had.  9999 times out of 10,000, the search results in hundreds or thousands of hits.  An idea I came up with entirely on my own, a brilliant idea, was also thought of by hundreds or thousands of other people before me.  Exactly one of these brilliant out-of-the-blue ideas turned up zero hits and I planted my flag and claimed it and made a full video of it. (note, this is separate from ideas that were developed and crafted, I'm talking about just meme-y, clever parodies or jokey things).   So I get being miffed that someone else came up with the same idea you did, but her version of it is so clean and different than yours that I'm positive it's just someone else seeing the stitches on a baseball and realizing the flow of the shape can extend out to letters.  Yours is very clearly attempting to make it look realistic and to fit it into a specific shape where hers is very minimalistic.  Until this thread (and even then, only seeing it today for the first time), I'd never seen your logo, so I'm not sure how someone else with malicious intent would have come across your logo to be able to steal it.  Do the two of you frequent some other places where you've posted this logo?  

 

In any event, I wish you luck.  I'd Google "baseball stitches" to see the endless examples of what more accurate seams look like.  I think it would help your design actually have a chance at being noticed by the Nats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

choose a different font so the stitches can be a normal width.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Interesting idea, but the execution still isn't there.  The stitching on the baseball just doesn't yet look like an actual baseball.  I know you say that level of compression is necessary for it to read as a continuation of the D and C, but I have to disagree based on how clean and more baseball-accurate the girl's t-shirt version is.  I think it would be valuable for you to at least try to make some more accurate/simple versions of the stitching to see if/when the illusion of continuation falls apart.  

 

And in general, I'd advise to slow down the claims of someone 'stealing' your idea.  When you've been around long enough, you realize that duplicate ideas are created ALL THE TIME.  A sad game I play with myself is every time I come up with what I think is a great idea for a meme or a team name or fill in the blank on something clever, I do a google search to see if anyone has already tread the ground of the idea I had.  9999 times out of 10,000, the search results in hundreds or thousands of hits.  An idea I came up with entirely on my own, a brilliant idea, was also thought of by hundreds or thousands of other people before me.  Exactly one of these brilliant out-of-the-blue ideas turned up zero hits and I planted my flag and claimed it and made a full video of it. (note, this is separate from ideas that were developed and crafted, I'm talking about just meme-y, clever parodies or jokey things).   So I get being miffed that someone else came up with the same idea you did, but her version of it is so clean and different than yours that I'm positive it's just someone else seeing the stitches on a baseball and realizing the flow of the shape can extend out to letters.  Yours is very clearly attempting to make it look realistic and to fit it into a specific shape where hers is very minimalistic.  Until this thread (and even then, only seeing it today for the first time), I'd never seen your logo, so I'm not sure how someone else with malicious intent would have come across your logo to be able to steal it.  Do the two of you frequent some other places where you've posted this logo?  

 

In any event, I wish you luck.  I'd Google "baseball stitches" to see the endless examples of what more accurate seams look like.  I think it would help your design actually have a chance at being noticed by the Nats!

 

She and I have had extensive conversation... and for the record:  i never accused her of "stealing" my idea. Naturally, people come up with stuff on their own all the time, independently.  However in this case, The LEGAL fact is that i have 100% precedence over her, having copyright IP secured with Stueve Siegel Hanson in 2011. (originally published on this site in '04 and FB in '08)  She now recognizes and respects this. Consequently will not be continuing to market her DC baseball logo.  

 

As for the stitching puzzle... hers is minimalistic and TOO simple / thin... looks more childish or feminine... her font is not bold enough to be viewable from a distance... and reads as "DOC"   :)   I'll keep at it, yet am sill open to any other artists interpretation /  partnering to solve it! SEAMS no one on this site is receptive ... disheartening to say the least.   As for the Font, Times New Roman is not exciting, yet is FITTING for Washington DC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, P.I.L.L. said:

   I'll keep at it, yet am sill open to any other artists interpretation /  partnering to solve it! SEAMS no one on this site is receptive ... disheartening to say the least.   As for the Font, Times New Roman is not exciting, yet is FITTING for Washington DC. 

 

Glad you and her have it worked out.  

 

As to your comment about no one wanting to work with you, I have to be honest.  You are easily the most combative person I've seen on this site (outside of those who come here, get one negative bit of feedback, argue, and then leave forever) and don't seem to be very open to criticism or suggestions.  As to partnering with you, you are clearly very litigious about your ideas, and from a legal standpoint, I'd be incredibly hesitant to even brainstorm with you without a full, written and signed contract ahead of time outlining what sort of ownership and compensation would result from any collaboration.  But that would really turn my stomach to have to resort to that.   The vast vast majority of members here come here for the community, and the feedback, and collaboration, and encouragement and to OFFER free advice and valuable critiques without any expectation of ownership or compensation or making threats of future litigation if a suggestion they made shows up in a logo that becomes an official logo somewhere.  You've been a member here since 2004, so I'm just really surprised that you don't seem to have picked up on the vibe of this site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 8:25 PM, darkpiranha said:

Interesting idea, but the execution still isn't there.  The stitching on the baseball just doesn't yet look like an actual baseball.  I know you say that level of compression is necessary for it to read as a continuation of the D and C, but I have to disagree based on how clean and more baseball-accurate the girl's t-shirt version is.  I think it would be valuable for you to at least try to make some more accurate/simple versions of the stitching to see if/when the illusion of continuation falls apart.  

 

In any event, I wish you luck.  I'd Google "baseball stitches" to see the endless examples of what more accurate seams look like.  I think it would help your design actually have a chance at being noticed by the Nats!

 

 

subtracted one less stitch per side  / thinner  ... "realistic looking" stitches don't "seam" to fit the font, so staying w/ this variety for now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now