P.I.L.L.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I'm not a fan. Nothing about this says "Washington DC" or "Nationals" to me. The curly W doesn't convey either, but at least it has past history to fall back on. And the previous (underrated) interlocking DC had a style that reflected the city's many national monuments.

This, while well-rendered, is just the letters "DC" and a baseball. Sure, the visual trick of using the curves in the D and C to map to the stitches of a baseball is cute, but it just looks generic. Nothing that stands out as being distinct enough to work as a MLB-calibre mark.

I'm wondering if you re-thought it in more baseball terms, if it would work. Specifically, what if you had the D and C on a diagonal, but in stead of interlocking with the existing Nationals alternate logo, separate them such that the seams of the ball occupy the bottom right portion of the D and the upper left portion of the C? This would likely require a different font, but for sure look less generic. 

40 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Sorry, I'm not a fan. Nothing about this says "Washington DC" or "Nationals" to me. The curly W doesn't convey either, but at least it has past history to fall back on. And the previous (underrated) interlocking DC had a style that reflected the city's many national monuments.

This, while well-rendered, is just the letters "DC" and a baseball. Sure, the visual trick of using the curves in the D and C to map to the stitches of a baseball is cute, but it just looks generic. Nothing that stands out as being distinct enough to work as a MLB-calibre mark.

I respect your opinion, and disagree...  thinned font further

DC Baseball

First off, I can only see the most recent picture, so I can’t comment on the progress, but I’ll say what I can.

I can see what you’re trying to do. The D and C lining up with the stitches is a good idea and what you have is very well done, but this doesn’t seem very “Nationals logo” to me. It seems more like something you’d see on an off-brand t-shirt sold a block away from the stadium on game day or video game that didn’t get MLB approval to put official teams in the game. The logo isn’t bad, it’s just really generic to me

1 minute ago, Whittier S said:

Why do you delete all the previous pictures? It takes away a lot of the meaning of the thread because then people can't follow the progress of the concept.

there are a few previous versions on the 3rd page... pardon me, just wanted the first image to be the final, to anyone new... feel free to arrange however  you think ideally shows progress, cause it's difficult for me to be objective / subjective..

Guest darkpiranha

New version is much better, and the strongest yet.  As to the design progress, I think the point is to show the whole thing and just not delete any of it.  That's the most enjoyable part of being on this site, is seeing the evolution of a logo and of a designer.  It shows others new here (and even veterans) how to both give and receive feedback and incorporate it.   As we've ALL experienced here, especially at first, it's very easy to get offended at comments and criticisms or to take them personally.  But sitting back and watching the true superstars here, like Sparky and Raysox, seek feedback and actively listen to it and incorporate it and come back with mind-blowing improvements is truly humbling and inspiring.  

So ALL of the progress is incredibly valuable, even the stuff you don't necessarily think is your best work.  This is a great thread that shows how even the subtlest changes can go a long way towards making a good concept infinitely stronger.  

1 hour ago, darkpiranha said:

So ALL of the progress is incredibly valuable, even the stuff you don't necessarily think is your best work.  This is a great thread that shows how even the subtlest changes can go a long way towards making a good concept infinitely stronger.  

DC Baseball

Thanks, sir ... tightened futher, and slightly increased the stitch size again ( against advice of some who prefer exact stitch vs baseball dimensions) - just isn't strong enough

without SOME exaggeration in proportion, as center of the logo... this concept is nearing completion, with only further slight adjustments possible

Here's a little tip- learn to take some criticism. That is why you posted the concept here, right? to make it better? You continuously disregard much of what people say when they try to help you. Also deleting your old posts makes the thread really awkward to read through and I haven't seen any major change (other than the thinning of the font in the last 2 pages of this thread, despite your 12 or so posts with minor adjustments (that I can't actually notice because the old version is gone).

Ok, now that I've got that out of the way, I want to say that this logo is actually pretty close to being great. I've said before you need a new font but you seem to love this so heck, I'll roll with it. I would try to incorporate some element from Washington DC into the logo (like you did pretty damn well on that secondary at the bottom, can we see a full size version of that?)

Sorry if I seem like a dick, but this is a really great idea and I feel like it's not at its full potential but I believe in you man?

tinysig.jpg

On 10/18/2018 at 3:46 PM, darkpiranha said:

"So ALL of the progress is incredibly valuable, even the stuff you don't necessarily think is your best work.  This is a great thread that shows how even the subtlest changes can go a long way towards making a good concept infinitely stronger". 

Logo (left) realistic / tighter stitches, smaller ball fits thinner font.  Logo (right) bolder, w/ custom stitches.  Lower logos previous ideas for DC / face forward eagle 

DC Baseball

Archived