Minnesota Vikings logo 1961-1965 updated version

aremore

So, I found the original Minnesota Vikings logo used from 1961-1965. I think this one looks better and cleaner than the current one displayed, and was wondering if we could update it. This is not a custom design by myself, it is the original logo designed by Karl Hubenthal in 1961.

minnesota_vikings_1961-1965.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

With the beard and moustache different colors? Odd.  

Do you have an example of this version being used in an official capacity?

That IS odd.  It's always weird when you see a strangely colored version of the logo. This is the one used by Cincinnati Princeton High School;

4458594_8bbce844f72e4d6f91a3c8667eabcd0a

They apparently think the back of the hair is some sort of extension of the helmet.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

That IS odd.  It's always weird when you see a strangely colored version of the logo. This is the one used by Cincinnati Princeton High School;

4458594_8bbce844f72e4d6f91a3c8667eabcd0a

They apparently think the back of the hair is some sort of extension of the helmet.

Looks like he has a durag on

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

10 hours ago, aremore said:

I actually found this logo on another logo his site, and after comparing this one with the one already posted on here,that I discovered that this was just a better shown version of the 1961-1965 logo: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/4624/Minnesota_Vikings/1961/Primary_Logo

It does look much better than the version on the mother ship.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Yes, but unfortunately the mothership is full of inaccuracies.  A lot of variations worked up by trading card companies get enshrined as official logos. I think this warrants further investigation before an inaccurate low-res logo is replaced with an inaccurate high-res version.   

I guess that's fair enough, Gothamite. I just found this one on this site: http://sportslogohistory.com/minnesota-vikings-primary-logo/ and I looked on a few other logo history related sites, and saw this one used quite a bit. But I understand if a more thorough investigation is needed. I just thought this was a more accurate depiction of the original norseman logo that what is displayed currently.

That site isn't any better - looks like they just swiped all the logos from the mothership, accurate and inaccurate. 

I would love to see some of these inaccurate logos removed from the mothership.  You may have given us a good excuse to start with the Vikings. 

Yeah, I wasn't taking sports logo history as absolute fact, I was just providing a link to the site in which I originally found this. Now I remember going to this site ALOT in the not too distant past I would look up the Vikings logos (as a diehard Vikings fan), and always got annoyed at the poor quality of the 1961-65 version. Then I saw this one, and compared the two, and realized that this one was just more official looking than the one on here right now.

Archived