Sunday Champions League (#20 Washington Americans and #21 Dallas Tornadoes)

9innings

When I said the tour bus was headed west, I meant slightly west.  Today we head to Manhattan - home of the New York Lobsterbacks.  An odd name I know but let me explain.  This is one of the first teams that joined the SCL.  I was in social studies class when my teacher started talking about the British occupation of New York City.  I found that as an interesting twist in the Revolution story that I did not know about.  Additionally, she referenced the fact that the Red Coats nick name was Lobsterbacks.  At the time, it sounded like a great idea.  Of course, as a fifth grader I used the nickname yet embraced the Lobster imagery.  As an Eagles fan myself, making the New York team a villainous team was not that far out of the question.  With that said, New York has become one of my favorite teams.  They are the class of their division and have been to three ESPO Bowls.  Some of my favorite players have put on the scarlet and white.  This team has a very basic and traditional look, this is done on purpose and I promise not laziness.  

New York 1.png

new york 2.png

new york 4.png

new york 5.png

newyork6.png

newyork7.png

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we are back! I have been away for work and was not able to add a team.  #7 on our list is the California Gold Rush.  Yes, the name is inspired by the 49ers but the look was taken in another direction.  The main logo is the head of a prospector and the helmet logo is classic and clean with a criss-crossed pick axe mark.  I like the dark brown and gold color combination.  The Rush play in San Francisco and represent the entire state of California.  LA is always a possible expansion site but have never seemed to land one.  For this logo I was trying to practice working with shadows.  I have found that less is more when it comes to logos and that's what I was trying to work in here.  

California1.png

SanFrancisco2.png

SanFrancisco3.png

SanFrancisco4.png

SanFrancisco5.png

1 hour ago, 9innings said:

And we are back! I have been away for work and was not able to add a team.  #7 on our list is the California Gold Rush.  Yes, the name is inspired by the 49ers but the look was taken in another direction.  The main logo is the head of a prospector and the helmet logo is classic and clean with a criss-crossed pick axe mark.  I like the dark brown and gold color combination.  The Rush play in San Francisco and represent the entire state of California.  LA is always a possible expansion site but have never seemed to land one.  For this logo I was trying to practice working with shadows.  I have found that less is more when it comes to logos and that's what I was trying to work in here.  

California1.png

SanFrancisco2.png

SanFrancisco3.png

SanFrancisco4.png

SanFrancisco5.png

Sharp! Only thing I'd say would be to brighten up that gold, because the gold found in California wasn't the Vegas kind. Can we see some uniforms?

Love this! Don't know if anyone used to read those awesome NCFA magazines that used to be posted on this forum, but that logo reminds me of the Rocky Mt. State Gold. I really like both of these logos. I also like how the team is called California and not just San Francisco or Oakland. Maybe it will add to a California vs LA rivalry.

Glad to see that you are back posting and, again, great work.

We are going back across the country to Charlotte, North Carolina to meet the CAROLINA KRAKEN.  I have always thought that the Octopus/Kraken is a smart, cunning, fierce, and underused mascot in sports.  The Carolina were a part of the expansion process around 2002.  They debuted as the Carolina Cutthroats, a pirate theme but ultimately were changed to become the Kraken.  They sport Carolina Blue uniforms with touches of black.  We decided that the main logo was too detailed for a football helmet.  Therefore, we opted for a more simplistic octopus design for the helmet.  It gives the helmet a more classic look.  The brown color in the wheel is just for effect and not a uniform color.  

Carolina1.png

Carolina2.png

Carolina3.png

Carolina4.png

Carolina5.png

Because of my absence on Saturday, there will be two entries tomorrow.  But for now, on football Sunday, the tour bus is pulling into Kansas City.  Welcome the Kansas City Bulls.  The Bulls have had a good amount of success, going to three ESPO Bowls-winning one.  The Bulls are known for a great tailgating scene before home games.  The play at the 'Block' on Sundays.  The Bulls have the historic honor of having the first draft pick ever in SCL history.  They selected RB Curtis Connelly out of Washington.  Tomorrow we head to the south to see a couple of southern division rivals.  

KC1.png

KC2.png

KC3.png

KC4.png

KC5.png

The SCL heads south for some Monday Night Football.  The first team of the night is the Orlando Rockets.  The Rockets are named for their proximity from Cape Canaveral.  The name and color scheme were picked in an attempt to bring a newer concept to Florida.  The logos are relatively straight forward.  I tried to stray away from the Toledo Rockets even though it looks similar.  The logo is a rocket flying through the letter O and the secondary is an astronaut in an O as well.  While the uniforms are on their way, the inspiration for the Rockets uniforms have been the 1990's Natrone Means-Chargers duds.  On the field the Rockets have had a good amount of recent success.  They went to two ESPO Bowls 10 and 13.  They won ESPO BOWL XIII in Chicago, the coldest championship game to date.  LB Tommie Forbes is the only Rocket in the SCL Pantheon.  The Magic Kingdome is right across from the Publix Center, home of the USBA's Orlando Juice.  

ORL1.png

ORL2.png

ORL3.png

ORL4.png

ORL5.png

As the second part of this evening's double dip takes place in Nashville Tennessee.  This is one of the teams I have been the most nervous to share.  For whatever reason, when I was in fifth grade I thought that the name the Tennessee Millionaires sounded cool.  Maybe it is because Regis Philbin was just getting Who Wants to Be a Millionaire going around that time.  They are known for one of the most recognizable helmets in the league.  It is simply a dark green helmet with a yellow dollar sign.  I can imagine that the Tennessee Starter jacket was really popular at the time.  The primary logo is a Mr. Peanut looking Tycoon logo.  You may be wondering about the Crow logo as the secondary mark.  For whatever reason, we built into the history that there were Crows that used to rest on the goal posts at early Millionaire games.   The fans also refer to the team as the Blackbirds.  Tennessee has been one of the most consistent teams in SCL History.  They were however known as the team that got close but never could win it all.  Tennessee was on the wrong side of one of the biggest blowouts in ESPO Bowl History.  But, in the 2014, Tennessee edged New York in one of the most exciting ESPO Bowls ever.  The Millionaires have one Pantheon player.  RB Roland Shepard was one of the best college player in league history and was great ambassador to the game.  He was one of the four first people inducted into the Hall.  This week is going to be all about offense.  The next three teams will feature a lot of Pantheon Offensive Players who put together some of the most feared offenses in league history.   

TENN1.png

TENN2.png

TENN3.png

TENN4.png

TENN5.png

TENN7.png

I absolutely love the Rockets identity and look. They also have the best stadium name. The Millionaires are unique and that's what makes them so awesome. I do have one question, will you show uniforms for all teams? You showed some for the first team, but there hasn't been anymore. Anyways, this thread has been awesome. 

Thanks.  I agree with the initial comments made about the quality of the template I was using.  So I am going back and working on the uniforms and will post in its own way towards the end.  I may post the uniforms in the season by season breakdown of the league at the end.  

I will say now, as I have said before and will hopefully say again

this work has been nothing short of phenomenal from presentation to design. I'm excited to see where this is going. And Orlando take the cake as the best astetic team imo so far. Can't wait for the next team:P

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Thanks everyone.  Today's team is the closest thing that the SCL has gotten to the Greatest Show on Turf.  Galloping onto the scene are the Atlanta Stallions.  The Stallions went 12-0 in 2001.  That feat makes them only one of two teams in SCL history to go undefeated.  The Stallions were unstoppable in 2001.  They stormed their way to the championship behind offensive playmakers like QB Drew Maldonado, WRs Charles Oakley and first round draft pick from Florida Panhandle University, Darnay Shy.  But the heart and soul of the team was all purpose running back #21 James York.  The Stallions are one of three SCL teams to have won two ESPO Bowls.  As for the concept.  The main logo is simply a bucking horse that we have been using since the beginning.  We have been tinkering with different horse heads as a secondary.  The current one is a work in progress.  The look is simple but unique.  Not many teams are just black and white.  I personally love the helmet.  The Stallions play at the Coca Cola Peach Dome.  The fans call the stadium "The Pit".  

Atlanta1.png

Atlanta2.png

Atlanta3.png

Atlanta4.png

Atlanta5.png

It's time to present the Las Vegas Myrmidons.  Atlanta is black and white.  Vegas is silver and black.  My brother and I laughed when it was the Raiders who chose to move to Vegas.  Our version of the Raiders was already there.  We wanted to stay away from a team with a gambling or desert theme.  For those who do not know, the Myrmidons were the elite fighting force led by the legendary Achilles.  They were the group that broke into Troy via the Trojan Horse.  They were known in battle for their black armor and plumes. Legend says that the Myrmidons were made man by zeus.  They previously were a colony of ants.  An animal known for their enormous strength and ability to work together.  That is where they got their name. The name is a little wordy but we decided to roll with it.  On the field, Vegas went to the first ever ESPO Bowl.  They have been known for defense.  They then hosted ESPO Bowl II.  It wasn't until 2003 when the Myrmidons finally won the title.  The first cornerback to ever be inducted into the Pantheon was Earl Little from Las Vegas.  They have been a great SCL team for must of its existence, dipped all the way down however in 2014 to the number 1 pick.  They selected brash WR Pharaoh Davis from the University of Colorado (the Comanche).  I hope you enjoy the Myrmidons.  

Vegas1.png

Vegas2.png

Vegas3.png

Vegas4.png

Vegas5.png

Archived