Uniform concept I made when I was 8

oldschoolvikings

Recently we moved my Mom out of her house, and in the basement I found an old army locker I had squirreled away, with a few childhood treasures. Along with some awesome old sports magazines, and some hand painted action figures was a stack of drawings.  They were in surprisingly good shape for being as much as 45 years old... probably because they were stacked so tight, and my parents' religious use of a dehumidifier.  They ranged from probably age 5 to age 14, mostly superheroes, but as I got older, a few football uniform designs started creeping in.  This one was the oldest;

Scan_zpsclhceguz.jpg?t=1505264566  

I actually remember making this.  I was probably 8, maybe 9... early 70's. I had been given an amazing set of markers... red, yellow, light blue, royal blue, pink, dark green, and black.  At the time, I drew most every in pencil and went over it with a black ball point pen, then colored it in.  I remember wanting to use as many colors as possible, but I couldn't get the green in.  What I was really fascinated by is how much the set up looks like my current template I use today, and how I had already become a crazy stickler for matching stripes.

Naturally, I decided to put it on an updated template;

ajunk2_zpsefacokiq.png?t=1505264565

I tried my best to stick as close as possible to my 8 year old design... no "fixing". (The exceptions being the added "W" on the logo... I mean, come on!, and the addition of a road jersey, which I don't think at the time I bothered with.)

There were other uniforms in there... for the most part, I started out inventing my own teams, but later I had a bunch of new designs for the Minnesota Vikings.  Apparently at the time, I was very interested in adding a lot of yellow/gold to the Vikings.

Anyway, I hope some of you get a kick out of this.  I had a lot of fun making it. (Both times!)

And if the Kansas Jayhawks break out something similar, I'm suing!

Guest darkpiranha

LOVE this.  I wish I had my artwork from my childhood.   I was obsessed with hockey goalie masks (this was the 70's when there was still an entire mask to use as a canvas), and made dozens of my own designs, most of which were probably based on Ken Dryden's mask.  I wish I had those.  But my family moved half a dozen times before I hit high school, and mysteriously, my artwork and boxes of Star Wars figures and comic books often disappeared...   So it makes me happy to see you able to share this.  

In the interest of completion, you should translate all of your youthful designs to something modern.  It has to make your inner 8-year old beam with joy to see it existing and being appreciated all these decades later.  

8 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

That said, I like the blue from your original drawing more than the modern one.   Listen to GradeSchoolVikings! 

I think the original one faded a bit.  It looks like I had colored it in with the sky blue marker first, and decided it was too light and went over it with the royal blue.  Maybe I can try a different blue.

This is really good stuff. I remember as a kid doing things like this all the time on family road trips, on the backs of bulletins at church, restaurant menus, you name it.

I have an old Rams binder (with a few decent autographs on it) filled with my attempts at drawing every NFL logo. With teams like the "Miami Dolfins," "Pittsburg Stellers," and "San Fransisco 49ers." 

I was a terrible speller...

10 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Recently we moved my Mom out of her house, and in the basement I found an old army locker I had squirreled away, with a few childhood treasures. Along with some awesome old sports magazines, and some hand painted action figures was a stack of drawings.  They were in surprisingly good shape for being as much as 45 years old... probably because they were stacked so tight, and my parents' religious use of a dehumidifier.  They ranged from probably age 5 to age 14, mostly superheroes, but as I got older, a few football uniform designs started creeping in.  This one was the oldest;

And if the Kansas Jayhawks break out something similar, I'm suing!

Don't sue my beloved Jayhawks!

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:13

16 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

Not bad for something you made when you were 8. How did you feel when instead of getting an expansion team, you got the Colts instead?

Oh, I never lived in Indy.  I was just trying to put a team in a city I had heard of, but that didn't have a team.

Somewhere in that stack, I might have drawings for the "Milwaukee Evergreens" and the "Newark Bluecoats".

Archived