CONCEPT: NBA's Western Expansion

andersaa

The NBA has decided to expand and reorganize the conferences and divisions while adding 6 new teams. The base conferences and divisions will stay the same. Each division will move to six teams. All new teams will be in the Western Conference.

Eastern Conference

Atlantic

Boston Celtics

Brooklyn Nets

Toronto Raptors

New York Knicks

Philadelphia Sixers

Washington Wizards*

*Added the Wizards from the Southeast

Central

Cleveland Cavs

Chicago Bulls

Milwaukee Bucks

Detroit Pistons

Indiana Pacers

Minnesota TimberWolves*

*Added timberwolves from the Northwest

Southeast

Atlanta Hawks

Charlotte Hornets

Miami Heat

Orlando Magic

New Orleans Pelicans*

Memphis Grizzlies*

*Added Pelicans and Grizzlies from the Southwest

Western Conference

Northwest

Portland Trailblazers

Utah Jazz

Denver Nuggets

Sacramento Kings

Seattle Supersonics*

Vancouver Orcas**

*Supersonics return as an expansion team

**Orcas bring NBa back to Vancouver

Pacific

Golden State Warriors

Los Angeles Clippers

Los Angeles Lakers

Phoenix Suns

Vegas Flamingos*

San Diego Sails**

*Vegas is getting NHL and NFL so NBA decides to come too

**Sails never completed a full season in the ABA but get a second chance

Southwest

San Antonio Spurs

Houston Rockets

Dallas Mavericks

Oklahoma City Thunder*

Kansas City Fountains**

Mexico City Golden Eagles***

*Thunder move over from the Northwest

**Fountains add NBA to an area that loves basketball

***Golden Eagles spread the NBA global brand into another country.

I have completed most of the expansion teams concepts and will posting them shortly. 

First off I am adding the Sails concept. 

It is mostly based on the original Sails logo and uniform, but updates colors. 

Some of my patterns did not make the switch from SVG(Made in Inkscape) to PNG. So I will be reporting this soon. The court and Navy patch are the main ones.

59bb34a5405dc_SANDEIGOSAILS.thumb.png.0c69aeba5e5be4f5654cd8561fdbdd46.png

Next I will post my home town Sonics. I have a lot of old Sonic elements but remade the entire image.

New color scheme is similar to the past but using Apple and Emerald as the Greens as both have local significance. And instead of yellow using Old Gold. 

I used a Boeing jet as the base in the logo, while still using the Seattle Skyline from the past Sonics logos

SONICS EXPANSION.png

Try looking into getting a new set of fonts. There are plenty of places that have free athletic style fonts you can download.

Keep in mind that every team doesn't need five different colors in their identity.Some might argue that NO team needs five different colors. The Colts just use two, for example.

You might try breaking your presentation up into multiple images. When you have that much info on one image, it's hard to see the details without clicking and zooming in. That will get fewer eyes on your work.

If you are going to include warm ups on the template, make them interesting. At least put the logo on the front of them. Or, you could just not include them.

Make sure the depictions of your uniforms are consistent. For example, if you can see the jet plane from the front and back views of the uniform, then it better be visible from every single front and back view it is on. The plane is on all for sets, but it only appears six out of the sixteen times it should.

Spend some time on your logos and wordmarks. The more you work on them and practice, the better they will look.

The sonics look great, no complaints there. 

For the sails, I think you should try a green jersey for the athlete, I would like to see a little variety instead of three blue jerseys and one white. They look very good though. 

The flamingos are very bright, which isn't a bad thing at all, they just look kinda sloppy, no offense. On the athlete jersey, either change the word mark on the shorts to black or get rid of it. Everything else looks good though!

On 9/15/2017 at 7:43 AM, Ben5 said:

Try looking into getting a new set of fonts. There are plenty of places that have free athletic style fonts you can download.

Keep in mind that every team doesn't need five different colors in their identity.Some might argue that NO team needs five different colors. The Colts just use two, for example.

You might try breaking your presentation up into multiple images. When you have that much info on one image, it's hard to see the details without clicking and zooming in. That will get fewer eyes on your work.

If you are going to include warm ups on the template, make them interesting. At least put the logo on the front of them. Or, you could just not include them.

Make sure the depictions of your uniforms are consistent. For example, if you can see the jet plane from the front and back views of the uniform, then it better be visible from every single front and back view it is on. The plane is on all for sets, but it only appears six out of the sixteen times it should.

Spend some time on your logos and wordmarks. The more you work on them and practice, the better they will look.

Thanks for the ideas to improve i will work on my fonts.

My colors are a lot i get that. 

I was planning on breaking them. but decided not to last minute, i will change that,

The jet is in all on the uniforms in the svg, but the png export messed it up. i will find out the problem, plus i could do better in this any way.

On 9/15/2017 at 9:46 AM, CheeseBurger22 said:

The sonics look great, no complaints there. 

For the sails, I think you should try a green jersey for the athlete, I would like to see a little variety instead of three blue jerseys and one white. They look very good though. 

The flamingos are very bright, which isn't a bad thing at all, they just look kinda sloppy, no offense. On the athlete jersey, either change the word mark on the shorts to black or get rid of it. Everything else looks good though!

The athlete Sails uni is basically an updated throwback, but i agree it is very blue. i will look for a solution.

i will play around with the Flamingos and try to clean it up a bit. 

Thanks for the help.

Rain has to do with Vancouver, which is also called Van City.

Yes the Fountains and Clippers have similar color schemes. I think they look too much like the Jayhawks.

Golden Eagle is a type of eagle. Not the color of the eagle. Gold is one of the accent colors and on the eagle on the collar. 

On 9/18/2017 at 5:25 PM, andersaa said:

Rain has to do with Vancouver, which is also called Van City.

Yes the Fountains and Clippers have similar color schemes. I think they look too much like the Jayhawks.

Golden Eagle is a type of eagle. Not the color of the eagle. Gold is one of the accent colors and on the eagle on the collar. 

I under stand that rain has to do with Vancouver, but that doesn't mean you need to put it on the court. I would recommend not putting anything on that part of the court. It sounds very cheesy, kind of like "supersonics are back".

Archived