Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

I usually am on the side of "Hey, use big teams for the Winter Classic" argument... but... the Blackhawks again?
I mean... i love hockey, and i'll probably just watch out of habit, but...

...yawn

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, CRichardson said:

God forbid the league use marquee teams in marquee matchups. It's a business in the business of making money. Sorry that small-market teams just don't get the ratings that bigger teams do.

I'm not a small market guy (Philadelphia Flyers) so don't give me that. Chicago will be playing in its 3rd classic in 5 years. You mean to tell me the home teams can't have an opponent other than the Blackhawks?

Let's see. Canada is out so that's down to 24. No LA/Anaheim, 22, no Vegas or Phoenix, 20, no Floridas, 18, probably no Dallas, that's 17, Carolina's out, 16, probably drop San Jose, 15, everyone loves Nashville because they actually invented liking hockey but it still seems kinda dodgy for now so I'll say they're out and it's 14, technically the Rangers aren't allowed to leave MSG unless it's for Sweden or something but they clearly backdoor their way into hosting games anyway. So there are 13 and a half? teams that can reasonably host the Winter Classic. The visiting pool is a little bigger but there are still some teams that are never going to get the spot.

I would have liked to have seen the resurgent Blue Jackets host at Ohio Stadium but maybe the league is waiting for them to get out of the first round, plus I know there's been some vague animus toward OSU from Jackets fans but that may have waned since the state/county/university sorted out the arena crisis.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Yeah, that was a fun one, until it wasnt. But the Ducks also can't go 0-5 on the PP including a major and double-minor. Awful.

The injury bug just won't leave this team. Started off camp with Lindholm, Vatanen and Kesler recovering from surgery. Getzlaf and Eaves ended camp injured, with it turning out Eaves has a strange nearly life-threatening immune/nervous system syndrome. Then Fowler twists his knee and is out 4-6 weeks, then Lindholm comes back, then Vatanen comes back, then Bieksa gets injured for a few games, then Getzlaf takes a puck to the face. We learn today that Getzlaf had surgery and will be out two months, then Kase gets kabonged tonight and doesn't return, then Gibson takes a shot to the face late and doesn't return. And Kesler is still more than a month away.

Just like... :censored: man. Can't we just injure the scrubs? Get healthy, guys.

Also, since 3 on 3 OT was instated, the Kings have won 26 of their 35 games that have ended in OT, most OT wins in the NHL in that span. The Ducks have won 7 of 19.

What's that? Why would you think I hate 3 on 3 OT? What could be the reason?

You already touched on Kase and Gibson but my God, that game also had Quick and Andreoff double teaming Perry, Montour trying to take Kopitar’s knees out, Martinez having to be dragged onto the bench after what looked like a stick to the crotch... it’s only November guys! Calm down a bit!

VmWIn6B.png

23 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

and i will see what Stanley Cup is there right now (the real one or the fake one)

Technically you'll see the "real" one since the actual Cup that Lord Stanley bought is always at the hall. I went to the HHOF in the spring and it's a lot of fun, get there when it opens and make a b-line for the trophy room, I was able to spend 30ish minutes looking over the Cup before anyone else came in.

2 hours ago, ltp74 said:

Technically you'll see the "real" one since the actual Cup that Lord Stanley bought is always at the hall. I went to the HHOF in the spring and it's a lot of fun, get there when it opens and make a b-line for the trophy room, I was able to spend 30ish minutes looking over the Cup before anyone else came in.

good point.  i was thinking of the one they hand out (i know they made 2 of them, one real, aka to the winner and one for the hall, the fake one)

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51140/22-things-you-might-not-know-about-stanley-cup

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Tampa came into San Jose last night and put on a clinic on how to win a damn game. A potent forecheck and some sloppy play from those old ass Sharks really shows just how far the Sharks would have to go to reasonably be a threat to win a title. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's much damn harder than I thought. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Tampa is one of the only dominant teams in this blob league, meaning

On 1/22/2017 at 1:37 PM, the admiral said:

Genius GM Steve Yzerman is changing the way we think about contending for the Stanley Cup: you don't have to qualify for it every year!

will absolutely be written this season if it hasn't been already.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Caps just beat Penguins 4-1. Don’t care that it was regular season/not nationally televised. Feels good. 

Also Braden Holtby is the 2nd fastest NHL goalie to 200 wins, behind only Ken Dryden. Not bad company. 

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Caps just beat Penguins 4-1. Don’t care that it was regular season/not nationally televised. Feels good. 

Also Braden Holtby is the 2nd fastest NHL goalie to 200 wins, behind only Ken Dryden. Not bad company. 

Ken Dryden started when there wasn't even overtime, let alone shootouts

1zgyd8w.jpg

On 11/14/2017 at 10:25 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Edmonton's piling on the goals against Vegas. Regressing to the mean can come hard, and it can come fast.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:54 PM, the admiral said:

Look what happens when teams don't catch Vegas Flu!

They're still rolling with ECHL goalies. I'll be convinced that Vegas has truly regressed once two of Fleury, Subban and dansk are back.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived