Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On occasion we make fun of various local TV channels for putting the wrong logo in for a hockey team (like that time an LA station had the Sacramento Kings' logo on-screen instead of the LA Kings), but it's important to remember that sometimes even the teams' official social media pages can get it wrong:

ysjHDUX.png

Officially annoyed with the Vegas Golden Knights.

(I mean, also annoyed with the Ducks defense. Shots on goal have been absurd. Praise be John Gibson, but he can't score or carry the puck out of the zone or prevent shots from getting to him.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

14 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Officially annoyed with the Vegas Golden Knights.

Tell me about it.

BTW, if you need an official BASS correspondent to report on the game-day experience in the desert I can provide that.

*Along both sides of the NY/NY heading to the arena there had to have been at least 30+ VGK-themed cornhole games happening.

*The catch-phrase of the PA guy?  "IT'S KNIGHT TIME!"

*The sword in the stone act?  It happens before every.  single.  game.  And it insinuated that every team in the league, even the Original Six, have been biding their time to vie for the damn sword and have just been settling for that puny Cup thing over the years.

*The ice crew uniforms?  The men wore gold foil tunics that looked like squires and the women all looked like Xena.

*We sat in the first row of the section in front of their castle thing.  Strangely the drumline (with neon glasses and drum rims) and the warning horn that the mascot fired up before the game were louder from the speakers than from right behind us.

*Chance showed up right next to us at one point.  I lived to talk about it.

*In addition to Chance they have a really skinny British guy roaming the arena in full armor pointing his sword at people.

*They had to make special on-screen graphics for the most basic rules.  One had "OFFSIDES" plastered on the screen for a good 30 seconds.

*I'm surprised they didn't edit "Las" out of Viva Las Vegas.

VmWIn6B.png

If Connor Hellebuyck embarks on a vision quest and finds his true self, Winnipeg will probably win the West. It's not a perfect lineup, no team's lineup is anymore with the expansion and the cap too low, but there's a whole ton of talent there in spite of the worthless coaching and that talent can't be held down forever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm eager to see what kind of financial machinations the league comes up with during the lockout to wrest McDavid from Edmonton. Shares of the other team's TV revenue?

Toilet subsidies.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Carey Price has returned from injury. Good game, blanks out the 30th place Sabres. It's a good start, I will say that.

It would be good for Price, if he goes back to his winning ways in the upcomming months. He's not out of his slump yet because there's a lot fiercer competition ahead, beyond the last place teams. It will be nice if he does well over a solid stretch of games, like at least a month or two and so forth.

Only time will tell, if he truly got his game back.

The only thing I liked about the holiday season was the NHL.com holiday workshop commercial. But apparently that's been replaced by a Patrick Kane ad. Thanks, NHL.

(The best part is at 0:32, where Victor E. Green has to wipe his nose, probably because it's too darn cold and he has the sniffles...such realism, and so adorable!)

2 hours ago, cmm said:

The only thing I liked about the holiday season was the NHL.com holiday workshop commercial. But apparently that's been replaced by a Patrick Kane ad. Thanks, NHL.

(The best part is at 0:32, where Victor E. Green has to wipe his nose, probably because it's too darn cold and he has the sniffles...such realism, and so adorable!)

So unrealistic...moving Coyotes merch...

Edit: I now have a bruise from not realizing my girlfriend (a Coyotes fan) was watching as I typed that.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Just finished listening to the Jets lose in overtime to the Avs and, well, sometimes I forget just how good Chicago has it with John Wiedeman on Blackhawks radio. The Jets lost in sudden death to a team in the division and from the goal call I had to double-check to make sure I didn't put on the Avs' broadcast. Is this some kind of weird Canadian democratic spirit, to be as excited for a goal against as a goal for? It's a problem I never have with John and Troy, because while they're not pure homers, goals against are called with the appropriate dread or resignation. I dunno, just bugs me. No need to call it down the middle, anyone who knows would expect a Winnipeg crew to deliver every game with equal measures of beaming pride and atomic self-loathing.

Ducks are minus Getzlaf, Kesler, Rakell, Eaves, Kase, Boll and now Montour and Silfverberg. After already sustaining injuries to Lindholm, Vatanen, Fowler, Miller, Bieksa.

Ducks are 11-10-4 and 1 point out of a playoff spot.

post-64231-this-is-fine-dog-fire-comic-I

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Well, the Ducks have been arguably the fifth most successful franchise of the 21st century. They can afford a down year. So maybe they'll miss a year and draft another key player, they have a year or two left before the Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler contracts truly doom them. I still don't think they'll make the playoffs, even if they are overachieving with Getzlaf.

Archived