Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

Last night, Minnesota was awarded a goal when the puck never got near the goal.  Penalty on a break with an empty net.  I am pretty sure I’d never seen that. 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Last night, Minnesota was awarded a goal when the puck never got near the goal.  Penalty on a break with an empty net.  I am pretty sure I’d never seen that. 

It is rare, but I don’t feel like it’s an unknown rule. I don’t know the limits, but the refs have the discretion to award a goal. If a guy is going in alone on an empty net, it seems like a good time to do it.

I've seen/heard it happen twice in the last twelve years. As I'm sure you figured out, a penalty shot against an empty net would be a waste of time, so it's just an automatic goal.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

42 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I've seen/heard it happen twice in the last twelve years. As I'm sure you figured out, a penalty shot against an empty net would be a waste of time, so it's just an automatic goal.

They should still make them go through the procedure of actually completing it. Like an intentional walk. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah, because scoring on an empty net is automatic. 

27 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

That you had to find a single example from eleven years ago should tell you how rare :censored: ups like that are.

Well then if there is at least one example, that means it can be done... 

But there was also Craig Smith's miss vs. the Leafs...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

That you had to find a single example from eleven years ago should tell you how rare :censored: ups like that are.

For decades, I have been in favor of just pointing to first and giving the guy the base rather than going through 4 pitches. Most of the opposition to that centered around "There could be a wild pitch". or something out of the usual happening. I have gradually come to accept that argument, so for it to be claimed that it is "automatic" strikes a nerve with me. The possibilities may be infinitesimal, but they do happen.

Stefan's was even worse since he had the puck from the friggin' blue line. All you need to do is just guide it in, shoot even stop and just tap it forward. Or even just keep it and run out the freaking clock. Smith's is somewhat more forgivable since he had to stop the puck and pivoting the stick to put it as a forehand shot. I'm sure he ate some good crow from the locker room that day. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

20 hours ago, smzimbabwe said:

For decades, I have been in favor of just pointing to first and giving the guy the base rather than going through 4 pitches. Most of the opposition to that centered around "There could be a wild pitch". or something out of the usual happening. I have gradually come to accept that argument, so for it to be claimed that it is "automatic" strikes a nerve with me. The possibilities may be infinitesimal, but they do happen.

It's not an analogous situation because, generally (but not always) intentional walks are issued with runner(s) on base. I don't like the auto-IBB unless the bases are empty because some pitchers are a bit off when throwing intentional balls. A wild pitch can happen and impact the basepaths.

A penalty shot vs an empty net? You might outthink yourself in the moment but on a penalty shot? Skaters know where the bad ice is and to avoid it. No NHL'er would ever screw that up.

spacer.png

yeah, but I would enjoy the silly bureaucratic formality of making someone actually skate from center ice and deposit the puck into an empty net. What would be the harm? It'd make for some goofs and good gifs. A better analogy would be that we still have faceoffs if there's like .3 seconds left on the clock. Or football teams have to try an extra point if the game ends on a touchdown. 

I had a teammate in high school miss a penalty shot because he accidentally missed the puck on the center dot and skated past it which means he couldn't take a shot. No NHL player would ever do that, but I like opening the possibility. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't mind seeing them do penalty shots on a still-empty net, if only for the hyper-rare comedy that would occur when a guy blows it like Stefan & Smith did. :P 

Anyways, we all know that local news outlets sometimes get the logo of a sports team wrong, but OTGDNHL would get the logo of one of their own teams wrong:

Later new season in NHL this time we want statistics in pointsmen league in new season.

I expects me this league:

1.Pastrnak - 84 P

2.McDavid - 77 P

3.Crosby - 75 P

4.Kucherov - 74 P

5.Stamkos - 70 P

6.Stone - 70 P

7.Letang - 68 P

8.Landeskog - 66 P

9.Teravainen - 66 P

10.Tuch - 62 P

2 hours ago, charger77 said:

huh?

I believe the previous post was in its own thread earlier. They were trying to post their stat predictions for 2018-19. Doesn't really matter now since he's already been banned after 2 days. I'm just surprised he got banned for offensive statements when nobody can understand what the hell he's trying to say.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

This isn't a perfect comparison because of the number of games played, but Vegas has the second-most road wins in the league (and they're not tied with anyone). Can we admit that they're a good team yet? To be fair, they have played more road games than average, but if there's a site that tracks points percentage, I'd like to see it.

Archived