Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

8 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Me: "Oh, the Ducks are on national TV tonight against Washington at home. That's cool. Nice exposure in the middle of a playoff race."

*Turns on NBCSN*

Joe Beninati: "Renew your Capitals season tickets today!"

Me: "God damn it."

Both Lightning-Blackhawks hames this year were in NBCSN and the road broadcasters covered each game.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're going to stick with asinine offsides challenges we need a statute of limitations on when you can challenge an offsides. I say 30 seconds, which is more than half a shift. If you couldn't clear the puck out of your zone for 30 seconds and the other team scores then you suck and shouldn't get to rewind the tape to 56.7 seconds earlier when a guy was microscopically in front of the blueline. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

If you regain and lose possession after an uncalled offside but never clear the zone, then get scored on, can you still get the goal called back? That should be out for sure. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

30 minutes ago, the admiral said:

If you regain and lose possession after an uncalled offside but never clear the zone, then get scored on, can you still get the goal called back? That should be out for sure. 

I'm almost certain the answer is yes, but I can't remember any specific instances. 

To further illustrate why it's such a pandora's box of a bad rule - they only go back to review the most recent missed offsides which makes no less sense than taking it to it's end and reviewing any potentially missed offsides at any point in the game since, butterfly effect, the actions caused by the offsides not being called didn't directly lead to a goal in the immediate did eventually lead to the players being in the position they were in when they scored one down the timeline. Also, we can't review an offsides that a linesman botches that wasn't actually offsides and be like "oh sorry we goofed. Okay you, #25 you were about six feet over that way. You were over there. Everybody go stand where you were when I blew the whistle and got the offsides wrong. Okay and Go!" Of course both would be absurd so the best course of action is just to not worry about it and go back to it being a small part of the game that barely matters, we go back to mostly trusting that goals will stand, and once every 11 years you get one scenario like the Matt Duchene botchjob. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ron Francis is out as general manager of the Carolina Hurricanes and will now be the President of Hockey Operations.

Keep doing you, Carolina.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Burning $6 million over two years and a 5th for Marcus Kruger to play in the AHL because he doesn't chuck pucks was a bad use of limited resources. Burning $16.6 million over 4 + a 3rd for Scott Darling to vomit up an .889 sv% over 2,000 minutes is a downright fireable offense. And so it was, but it's the Hurricanes and Karmanos is still there, so all he does is get kicked upstairs. Probably the end of Bill Peters, too, who I could see replacing Joel Quenneville next year if he and the team Mutually Part Ways.

LOL Wyshinski just ranked him in his top third tier for general managers. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHDHLDFHL:DSHFLJAHHAghghshgjgjgkdj;ljkadafsfdafafdafahahahahha 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Lambert loves Francis and Peters, too, I believe. If you hoard puck-chucky undersized project players whose names Don Cherry can't pronounce correctly, you don't even need to win to be a genius!

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Sure enough, we broke down Lambert writing "the Hurricanes don't need to score goals to be good" a year and a week ago and not a whole lot has changed since. You still can't cheat on offense like you can cheat on defense.

We're just not patient enough to let Ron Francis's genius reveal itself

On 3/6/2018 at 7:46 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

Me: "Oh, the Ducks are on national TV tonight against Washington at home. That's cool. Nice exposure in the middle of a playoff race."

*Turns on NBCSN*

Joe Beninati: "Renew your Capitals season tickets today!"

Me: "God damn it."

For some reason I was okay with this.

Marchand has an uncanny ability to be suspended many, many times, but never for very long. He was already suspended at least once this year, and they still let him play in the all-star game.

I know people will say I'm bias, but I don't think Marchand did that on purpose. 

Seems more like Marchand expected Duclair to get of the way & flinched when he didn't. 

It's not like their battling for the puck or anything, so there's really no reason for Brad to have any intent there. 

But I understand given his history, there's little room for doubt. 

I just mean, I've seen far dirtier hits by him. 

After Backes got suspended 3 games despite no foul history, nothing would really shock me.  

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

It seems like a reactionary play. Unfortunately for Marchand, he's never going to get the benefit of the doubt because of his history. Such is the game.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

5 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

I know people will say I'm bias, but I don't think Marchand did that on purpose. 

Seems more like Marchand expected Duclair to get of the way & flinched when he didn't. 

It's not like their battling for the puck or anything, so there's really no reason for Brad to have any intent there. 

But I understand given his history, there's little room for doubt. 

I just mean, I've seen far dirtier hits by him. 

After Backes got suspended 3 games despite no foul history, nothing would really shock me.  

You’re biased. I think if you look at his legs (which didn’t hit Duclair), you’ll see that he didn’t have to make heavy contact like that. He certainly didn’t have to bash the butt end of his stick into the guy’s face. It was nowhere near the puck at all; he should have tried to avoid contact.

21 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

You’re biased. I think if you look at his legs (which didn’t hit Duclair), you’ll see that he didn’t have to make heavy contact like that. He certainly didn’t have to bash the butt end of his stick into the guy’s face. It was nowhere near the puck at all; he should have tried to avoid contact.

Seems like he did, but was too late. 

Either he 

A. Saw Duclair and assumed he would move,

B. Didn't see him at all

Either way, he then tried to jump out of the way at the last second, hence the collision.  

Like I said, I just don't see a reason that hit would be intentional. 

From what I'm hearing so far, the league seems to agree. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

4 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Like I said, I just don't see a reason that hit would be intentional. 

He's a rat bastard. The same reason he elbowed Marcus Johansson.

Archived