Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Well considering he hasn't been punished (yet), it seems the league agrees it was an accident. 

Well the incident happened on a Saturday night and the league office will likely meet with Marchand...wait until the work week Im sure we will hear more.

On 3/11/2018 at 4:40 AM, ozzyman314 said:

Seems like he did, but was too late. 

Either he 

A. Saw Duclair and assumed he would move,

B. Didn't see him at all

Either way, he then tried to jump out of the way at the last second, hence the collision.  

Like I said, I just don't see a reason that hit would be intentional. 

From what I'm hearing so far, the league seems to agree. 

He was looking right at Duclair the whole time, so throw out the possibility of option B.

As some one said earlier, watch his feet.  If he followed his skating direction, he might've skimmed Duclair, but the way he flailed his skates he appears to have tried to alter his course to hit Duclair

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

He was looking right at Duclair the whole time, so throw out the possibility of option B.

As some one said earlier, watch his feet.  If he followed his skating direction, he might've skimmed Duclair, but the way he flailed his skates he appears to have tried to alter his course to hit Duclair

He didn’t alter his course at all (which is the problem), he turned to “circle around” and he ended up in a collusion with Duclair midway through.

Nothing about it seems dirty. It almost seems inevitable they were going to hit each other. And Marchand unintentionally made it worse by trying to jump at of the way when it too late. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

21 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

He didn’t alter his course at all (which is the problem), he turned to “circle around” and he ended up in a collusion with Duclair midway through.

Nothing about it seems dirty. It almost seems inevitable they were going to hit each other. And Marchand unintentionally made it worse by trying to jump at of the way when it too late. 

I get it, you're from "The Bay State" per your profile, so you're defending the Bruins player

agree-to-disagree.jpg

You don't jump hands first into a guy's face if you're trying to avoid hitting him. You drop your hands and angle your body away if you're trying to miss him. He had more than enough time to get out of the way and didn't. Also it's Brad Marchand soooooo      

Anyways, East is pretty much down to 3 teams for the last 2 spots. Devils have a nightmarish road trip coming up and outside of Taylor Hall have not been playing well. Florida was hot as a pistol, but tripped on Ottawa last night, but still have 2 games in hand on New Jersey and 3 on Columbus. Blue Jackets seem to have found their game, winning 5 straight and Seth Jones is on fire with 4 goals in 3 games. Going into the last 16 games I figured they probably needed to win 10 of them to make the playoffs, so basically like an NFL season, and they're 5-0 so a good start to the last stretch. There's a solid chance they catch Philly, but I almost don't want them to because that seems to be the most likely way to meet Pittsburgh in the first round and that would almost certainly suck. Again. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Call me bias if you want, but again, The League seems to agree it was accident since there hasn't been any word on any kind of punishment. And it's not like Brad Marchand is the kind of player they would hesitate to punish if they believed he did something really egregious.

Marchand also got hurt on that play, and had to miss the following game against The Blackhawks, so it also doesn't really make sense why you would "cheap shot" someone if you're also going to hurt yourself. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

"so it also doesn't really make sense why you would "cheap shot" someone if you're also going to hurt yourself. "

Maybe because nobody in the history of hockey has ever hurt themselves on purpose? That he hurt himself purposely delivering a cheap shot he had more than enough time to avoid only serves to make it funny. 

Measuring the contemptibly of a cheap shot based on what the league's disciplinary department says is insane. I'm just going off the video where he has a lot of time to not deliver both hands and a butt end to a guy's face, but does so anyways. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Measuring the contemptibly of a cheap shot based on what the league's disciplinary department says is insane. I'm just going off the video where he has a lot of time to not deliver both hands and a butt end to a guy's face, but does so anyways. 

Well, the league does the exact same thing, and they are a hell of a lot less bias than either of us. 

So if they say they don’t see anything flagrant....

Phantom Merch Collector.

4 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Well, the league does the exact same thing, and they are a hell of a lot less bias than either of us. 

So if they say they don’t see anything flagrant....

The NHL is routinely tone deaf and up its own ass.

Be that as it may, theirs is the only opinion that really matters. 

if it was as flagrant as everyone thinks it was, he would be suspended. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

Considering Marchand’s record, I think so. 

A known dirty player like him why wouldn't they suspended him if it’s as clear cut as everyone thinks?

They didn’t last month when he elbowed Johansson. 

Phantom Merch Collector.

2 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Considering Marchand’s record, I think so. 

A known dirty player like him why wouldn't they suspended him if it’s as clear cut as everyone thinks?

For as dirty as Marchand is? He always skates by (ha!) with remarkably soft suspensions when he does get them. Someone in the league office likes him. 

I’m not surprised they gave him a pass for clotheslining a guy and then showing no remorse, but I’m still disappointed it happened. 

Dude’s a dirty player who gets off easy because he’s a “star.” Simple as that. 

7 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Don’t you mean when Johansson tried to break Marchand’s elbow with his face?

7 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Laugh all you want, fact is their decision is the only one that matters. 

I never said otherwise. 

I merely find your assertion that Brad Marchand doesn’t benefit from some sort of bias towards “star” players laughable. 

Archived