Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

On 3/13/2018 at 6:29 PM, ozzyman314 said:

Be that as it may, theirs is the only opinion that really matters. 

if it was as flagrant as everyone thinks it was, he would be suspended. 

Doesn't mean what he did was right.  Marchand is a dirty player and has a history...

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Doesn't mean what he did was right.  Marchand is a dirty player and has a history...

Sure, but like I've said. I'm going to defer to the league's judgement on this one. 

They clearly agree it was an accident. 

Unlike his hit on Johansson which was pretty black & white.   

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

On 3/14/2018 at 7:57 AM, Ice_Cap said:

I never said otherwise. 

I merely find your assertion that Brad Marchand doesn’t benefit from some sort of bias towards “star” players laughable. 

The assertion would have been laughable in 2013, now it feels like a self-aware bit.

Jeez, this is a fun ride. I had high hopes for Nashville, but have to admit that they've surpassed what I thought they would accomplish.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

That game in Boston last night was an absolute heist by the Blue Jackets. Backup goalie, no Seth Jones, badly out-chanced, held a 4-3 lead in the third and won in overtime. Definitely should've been a penalty on Dubois for the breakaway hook on Marchand, but it's Marchand soooo it's impossible to feel bad about it. I also know it's rankled Boston fans something good so double points. You're lucky he was even allowed to play in the game. 

Also you have 99 points through 71 games. Maybe CTFO.

I'll say something nice now - Ryan Donato is gonna be good. I wish they played him more in the US olympic games. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I was at the Bruins game last name. Still a damn good game. Reminds me of that hot streak the BJ were on last year.  

Donato is amazing. Bruins have so many great young players right now.  

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

From the Sad News Department, the Jets won their 44th game of the season tonight with nine left to play, which, ah, how do we do this, sets both the est.1999 organization record and the Winnipeg NHL record. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 hours ago, the admiral said:

From the Sad News Department, the Jets won their 44th game of the season tonight with nine left to play, which, ah, how do we do this, sets both the est.1999 organization record and the Winnipeg NHL record. 

Are you talking the original Jets, as well?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 3/7/2018 at 2:50 PM, the admiral said:

If you regain and lose possession after an uncalled offside but never clear the zone, then get scored on, can you still get the goal called back? That should be out for sure. 

This exact thing happened in the Caps-Habs game tonight where a Capitals defenseman who tried to stickhandle his way out of the zone, got his pocket picked, and gave up a quick breakaway ended up getting a mulligan because Jonathan Drouin threw the play off-side on the initial entry (because OF COURSE it's always gotta be Jonathan Drouin in these things). That Montreal ended up giving up the puck and Washington had an easy zone exit that...whoever it was (didn't catch their name)...they botched doesn't matter.

spacer.png

That's dumb. Change of possession should nullify the ability to challenge an offsides. Like how if a player fumbles an interception and the offense recovers it resets to first down. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Carrying over from GOAT talk in the NBA thread:

33 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

[Bawbby Fackin' Aww] is very clearly the greatest to ever play his position

It isn't as clear as you think. Hast thou forgotten Nicklas Lidstrom? His effortless mastery of flipping possession for as long as he did it makes a more persuasive argument than I'd care to reckon with. wasn't photographed mid-air tho

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, McCarthy said:

That's dumb. Change of possession should nullify the ability to challenge an offsides. Like how if a player fumbles an interception and the offense recovers it resets to first down. 

Still not as dumb as the "delay of game" for players who flip it over the glass in their own zone. I have yet to meet a player who was ever taught to do that intentionally to get a whistle. At the bare minimum, at least the offsides challenge attempts to solve a problem that exists, rather than solving a made up problem.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

52 minutes ago, Brass said:

Still not as dumb as the "delay of game" for players who flip it over the glass in their own zone. I have yet to meet a player who was ever taught to do that intentionally to get a whistle. At the bare minimum, at least the offsides challenge attempts to solve a problem that exists, rather than solving a made up problem.

that penalty sucks and created the thing where any time a puck goes over the glass ever every player on the ice immediately points to the heavens. They never did that before that penalty. Hey thanks for letting us know where the puck went none of us saw it. 

I still say, though, that the offsides challenge also solves a problem that doesn't exist. One time Matt Duchene was wildly offsides and the goal was allowed to stand, but it wasn't a huge issue that we were getting every blue line entry completely right. Before the challenge was instituted it was clear in 999/1000 instances whether a guy was trying to be onside. If the refs missed it then they missed it, but that's better than your team scoring a goal and then worrying if it'll stand or not because 30 seconds earlier, a guy's skate was in the air. It's gotten like the NFL where I can't ever feel good about a score until 30 seconds later when it's confirmed. 

I'm close to being convinced that the game would be better without blue lines. Maybe a hybrid system where one player is allowed in ahead of the puck, which would mean defenseman would still need to hold the blue line in the offensive zone, but would open rushes down ice a bit more. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived