Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

Vegas has clinched the Pacific Division. Let that sink in for a minute... an expansion team has won their division and is assured home ice advantage for the first two rounds.

This has to be the luckiest team to ever exist.

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Vegas has clinched the Pacific Division. Let that sink in for a minute... an expansion team has won their division and is assured home ice advantage for the first two rounds.

This has to be the luckiest team to ever exist.

I have to admit that it's impressive but I think it's overblown. It's not like the team is full of AHL caliber scrubs. Granted, they aren't superstars but they don't have to be. No other NHL expansion was afforded the opportunity to succeed right away.

4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I have to admit that it's impressive but I think it's overblown. It's not like the team is full of AHL caliber scrubs. Granted, they aren't superstars but they don't have to be. No other NHL expansion was afforded the opportunity to succeed right away.

They were likely put in a better position than any other NHL expansion team, but at the same time, everyone under the sun looked at the roster at the beginning of the year and thought they would be much closer to the bottom than the top.

Knights also suffered a crap ton of injuries as well. Which certainly didn’t help. 

But this instant success is what the team needed. Especially with The Raiders coming next year. 

Speaking of The Golden Knights, since no one mentioned it yet, they retired #58 in honor of the 58 victims of the shooting last year. 

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

17 hours ago, Cosmic said:

They were likely put in a better position than any other NHL expansion team, but at the same time, everyone under the sun looked at the roster at the beginning of the year and thought they would be much closer to the bottom than the top.

They remind me of last year's Blue Jackets quite a bit. You can win a lot of NHL games with depth and solid goaltending even if you don't have that one number one overall type player. Especially true if, like last year's Blue Jackets, teams don't really expect you to be much of a force in the first half of the season. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yea, not sure why everyone is mentioning Sharks and Knights. They have to get past the Ducks or Kings first and so far this season, the Knights have gotten the better of the team for the most part. Granted I'd feel much better about taking on the Knights if the Preds weren't waiting in the next round. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Terrible goaltender interference call in the Florida-Nashville game robs Nashville of the tying goal with .5 seconds left and makes me have to sweat making the playoffs for two more days. 

Related: Blue Jackets erase a 4-1 deficit for the second straight game. Win this one in overtime.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

The battle for #1 in The East just got really interesting now that Tampa finally got one over Boston. 

Now they’re both tied, but Bruins have a game in hand.

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Vegas' Twitter tries too hard to be LA's Twitter.

And that’s even after last week when they fired/let go/mutually parted/seeked other opportunities with their original Twitter guy.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Vegas' Twitter tries too hard to be LA's Twitter.

Vegas is full of people who can't afford to keep living in Southern California, so why not?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Terrible goaltender interference call in the Florida-Nashville game

How is it a terrible call? The puck was under Luongo and the skater coming into contact with him caused him to move, which made the puck go into the goal. Disallowing the goal was the right call.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived