Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

2 hours ago, CRichardson said:

How is it a terrible call? The puck was under Luongo and the skater coming into contact with him caused him to move, which made the puck go into the goal. Disallowing the goal was the right call.

The skater barely touched him. If there was an intent to blow the whistle, then I guess that would make sense. Goaltender interference is becoming a problem, because any minor contact is considered preventing the goalie from playing his position, which it really isn't. Last night, Luongo had every chance to make that save, even after he was barely touched. The contact certainly did not prevent him from playing his position correctly. The issue isn't about contact, it's about whether or not he could play his position correctly. If a skater is in the crease, preventing a goalie from pushing all the way over to make a save, that's interference. If a player knicks the arm of a goalie, but he has a good chance to make a save, then that's legal. Or at least should be. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

How is it a terrible call? The puck was under Luongo and the skater coming into contact with him caused him to move, which made the puck go into the goal. Disallowing the goal was the right call.

Couple reasons: 1. It was called a goal on the ice which means there needs to be indisputable video evidence to overturn. There's nothing on the video that shows Luongo ever had control of the puck or that the contact by Arvidsson caused it to squirt to Forsberg. 2. Similar goals, all season long, have stood up to review. It's not consistent with other rulings this very same season, which gives the impression that the league is making :censored: up as they go along. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It's not consistent with other rulings this very same season, which gives the impression that the league is making :censored: up as they go along. 

Furthering the notion that the NHL is going full speed down the same road the NFL has trying to figure out its own catch rule.  

8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

which gives the impression that the league is making :censored: up as they go along. 

NHL official rule 417.5(a)(2)(b) specifically states "When all else fails make :censored: up as you go along.  Just don't get caught doing so."

If someone thinks he's gonna own me online by photoshopping a Blackhawks banner that says "2018 Keeping The Blues Out Of The Playoffs Champions," NICE TRY, I'LL BEAT YOU TO IT, YOU WILL NOT OWN ME ONLINE.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Sabres clinched last place, and tied for their fewest home wins in nearly 50 years of existence. This is starting to feel like Browns-level hopelessness.

10 hours ago, Cosmic said:

The Sabres clinched last place, and tied for their fewest home wins in nearly 50 years of existence. This is starting to feel like Browns-level hopelessness.

Don't worry, the Sabres will have Mittelstadt (:rolleyes:) and Dalhin next year...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Pulling for the Sabres to turn it around soon. As with Toronto and Chicago before them, it's bad for hockey when an important team is this bad for this long.

Where they were in January and February right up to the trade deadline compared to the last month just making the playoffs is an accomplishment. It really is crazy how these 4 bottom teams in the East have had to play to stay in the race. Jackets had to go 13-2 just to clinch. Florida won't die. Lots of respect to the Devils, Flyers, and Panthers. 

NOWWITHALLTHATSAID I am going to be rooting for the Nashville Predators come Saturday. I'd rather play anybody else besides Pittsburgh. I like our chances much better against any team except Boston and I don't know any Bruins fans so I'd rather play them as well. Start Korpisalo on saturday. Get some work in for the defensemen that haven't played in a month, give Eric Robinson his NHL debut. TANK THE GAME is what I'm saying. The Devils can have Pittsburgh. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Florida won't die. Lots of respect to the Devils, Flyers, and Panthers.

Florida would be in safely if they hadn't given up Smith and Marchessault to protect Alex f-cking Petrovic.

1 hour ago, LMU said:

So... Dustin Brown just got himself a hat trick...

gqQngsY.gif

BROWN-BOTTLE.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Last game at Rogers Arena for the Sedin's and you couldn't have scripted a better ending.  Daniel gets his 22nd at 0:33 on an assist from number 33 before getting the game winner and 23rd at 2:33 in overtime.  Again assisted by number 33.

Archived