Winter of Discontent: The 2017-18 NHL Season

HedleyLamarr

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Florida would be in safely if they hadn't given up Smith and Marchessault to protect Alex f-cking Petrovic.

Yeah true. They really relied heavily on Huberdeau, Barkov, and Ekblad without much depth below that and also played a 55 year old goalie most of the season. But still pretty remarkable how good each team had to be down the stretch. If the Blue Jackets played even just .600 puck since the trade deadline they'd be eliminated right now. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Good news: Jackets are in the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time ever!

Bad news: We’re probably the 3 seed against Pittsburgh or the second wild card against Boston or Tampa. Neat! :upside:

But we know that anyone that gets in the NHL playoffs can win it all.  (Remembers that the Wild are in) Well, almost anyone.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

17 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

But we know that anyone that gets in the NHL playoffs can win it all.  (Remembers that the Wild and Capitals are in) Well, almost anyone.

FTFY

spacer.png

10 hours ago, McCarthy said:

NOWWITHALLTHATSAID I am going to be rooting for the Nashville Predators come Saturday. I'd rather play anybody else besides Pittsburgh. I like our chances much better against any team except Boston and I don't know any Bruins fans so I'd rather play them as well. Start Korpisalo on saturday. Get some work in for the defensemen that haven't played in a month, give Eric Robinson his NHL debut. TANK THE GAME is what I'm saying. The Devils can have Pittsburgh. 

The Jackets are sneaky good. I don't want any part of the Bruins playing them in the playoffs. If the season ended today and the NHL had a, you know, regular playoff format, the Jackets would get a first round bye the Capitals.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

19 minutes ago, Brass said:

The Jackets are sneaky good. I don't want any part of the Bruins playing them in the playoffs. If the season ended today and the NHL had a, you know, regular playoff format, the Jackets would get a first round bye the Capitals.

Oh come on, give us some credit for crying out loud.

We're a second round bye. :D

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Brass said:

I'd take the Capitals right now. I'd take the ghost of the 85 Oilers with Connor McDavid over another series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. My hope is they pull a 2016 Islanders and tank the last game of the season because they're sneaky good except against Pittsburgh who they have a complete mental block against. It'd be the smart coaching move to pull. It's literally the exact same thing as Bengals-Steelers. You have a lead with under ten minutes left, you have 2 defensemen on the puck with their one player on his ass behind the goal, he whacks at it and it goes in the net. HOW? You have a lead with under ten minutes left, you have two defenders on the sideline, you don't hit Leveon Bell into the fourth row, he walks into the endzone. HOW? Exact same emotional baggage, exact same inexplicable luck, exact same officiating bias that always seems to fall to the same team. I want no part of it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-florida-panthers-could-need-play-in-game/c-297737130 

Basically, if the Flyers lose by 2 goals to the Rangers tomorrow, and Florida wins both of their last 2 games in the shootout, they would be tied for the final wildcard spot in points and all 3 tiebreakers, necessitating a tiebreaker game like in baseball, something as far as I can see has never happened in the NHL's history.

Cool, I hope something weird happens so everyone can go "THIS is why the NHL is such a joke [it isn't], something simply must be done!" like we did when the accountant played for the Blackhawks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Going back to the Knights and trying to look at them objectively, this season is their best chance at winning a Cup IMO - once the offseason comes and George "The Capitals team I built still can't get past the 2nd round" McPhee has to start making personnel decisions that aren't just "taking players from the most generous expansion draft in history" they're pretty much toast, I think.

3 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

Going back to the Knights and trying to look at them objectively, this season is their best chance at winning a Cup IMO - once the offseason comes and George "The Capitals team I built still can't get past the 2nd round" McPhee has to start making personnel decisions that aren't just "taking players from the most generous expansion draft in history" they're pretty much toast, I think.

I kinda want them to win, so that I can then mentally tell them to get bent for the next 30 years. Very clean that way.

Awful tragedy in Saskatchewan last night, a semi truck blew a stop sign and T-boned the bus of a Junior A team, killing at least 14. Very similar to Swift Current.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bruins are now back in control of their destiny thanks to Carolina. 

Just need a single point against the Panthers to clinch their division and the #1 seed.   

Red Sox: 8    Celtics: 17    Bruins: 6    Patriots: 5

Phantom Merch Collector.

11 hours ago, ozzyman314 said:

Bruins are now back in control of their destiny thanks to Carolina. 

Just need a single point against the Panthers to clinch their division and the #1 seed.   

Well, no. You need to win outright; loser points won't do.

Still, Lightning blew what they had been working for the entire season by losing last night. Good job.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived