MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

8 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I'm in Baltimore and I hear "DC" used relatively frequently . . . and not by people who seem to be trying to be fancy.

I have two good friends in Washington, one a native and one a relatively recent transplant, who both use the two pretty interchangeably.  I wasn't aware that there was some perceived regionalism in the jargon.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I have two good friends in Washington, one a native and one a relatively recent transplant, who both use the two pretty interchangeably.  I wasn't aware that there was some perceived regionalism in the jargon.

"Interchangeably" is a good description.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I call my hometown Washington, the District, or DC all about the same amount.

If someone asks me “where are you from?” I’ll reply “Washington, DC.”

If my dad calls and asks “when are you driving down?” And I don’t know if he means home or to Senior Week I’ll say “to Washington?”

If I’m making a political point to a home friend, I’ll end my point with “in all 8 wards in the District.”

If I’m arguing with my high school buddy from the MD suburbs who’s an Orioles but Redskins fan, I’ll chide him with “just pick one. DC or Baltimore.”

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

17 hours ago, zigbazah said:

The Blue Jays cap with the white crown is one of the finest in the league. It should be their main home cap. 

Agreed. When I watched a Blue Jays game last year I had to buy one. It's the only time I've ever done such a thing (I'm not even a Blue Jays fan). That and the Mariners teal brimmed cap.

11 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Here's the Marlins latest uniform rebranding related poll...

Solid colors usually look and wear better, but I'd be okay with most anything as long as it's teal or that blue color they use.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Can we get a link? This could be the closest chance this board gets to influecing an entire rebrand

https://www.mlb.com/marlins/fans/dimelo

From what I've seen they usually have new questions twice a week, early in the week and then again late in the week. Not all questions have been about the uniform rebrand but many already have been including solid or two-tone cap, sleeveless alternate or not, should their be a Marlin fish represented in the logo, should the home uniforms say Miami or Marlins, and should the uniforms be inspired by baseball tradition, Miami culture, Miami streetscapes, or Florida's natural landscape. 

It would have been nice to see more guys were higher pants and stirrups.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

9 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I'm in Baltimore and I hear "DC" used relatively frequently . . . and not by people who seem to be trying to be fancy.

In Washington itself I feel like I mostly use and hear "the District" or "DC." Rarely Washington or the even wordier Washington DC.

8 hours ago, DeFrank said:

I call my hometown Washington, the District, or DC all about the same amount.

If someone asks me “where are you from?” I’ll reply “Washington, DC.”

If my dad calls and asks “when are you driving down?” And I don’t know if he means home or to Senior Week I’ll say “to Washington?”

If I’m making a political point to a home friend, I’ll end my point with “in all 8 wards in the District.”

If I’m arguing with my high school buddy from the MD suburbs who’s an Orioles but Redskins fan, I’ll chide him with “just pick one. DC or Baltimore.”

Your point is a good one; it does depend a bit on the audience.  If anyone outside of the area asks where I was born, I say "Washington, D.C."  Whenever my friends or family planned to go there it was always, "let's go into D.C."  People outside of the area may say they are going to "Washington," but to me the most used context for that is the news when referring to the Nation's Capital.

ETA, Here's the Orioles jersey and cap for 4/22
Screen-Shot-2018-04-17-at-12.05.12-AM.pn

12 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

Your point is a good one; it does depend a bit on the audience.  If anyone outside of the area asks where I was born, I say "Washington, D.C."  Whenever my friends or family planned to go there it was always, "let's go into D.C."  People outside of the area may say they are going to "Washington," but to me the most used context for that is the news when referring to the Nation's Capital.

Coincidentally, in the car this morning, my son mentioned Lanham, MD and asked where it is.  Without thinking about it, I said, "it's down near DC."

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Coincidentally, in the car this morning, my son mentioned Lanham, MD and asked where it is.  Without thinking about it, I said, "it's down near DC."

Yep, just 3 stops on the Metro orange line outside of the city line.

Archived