MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darren daulton had red catchers gear in 86. Def at home, not sure about road because he didn’t play much

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Darren daulton had red catchers gear in 86. Def at home, not sure about road because he didn’t play much

There is a picture of him on a 1991 baseball card. He was still wearing the red gear.

On 4/20/2018 at 9:38 PM, VandyDelphia Mike said:

https://www.lids.com/new-era/style_mlb-on-field-mesh-back-59fifty-cap

hwl?set=sku%5B20979104%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B1

Could this be a hot day option for on field use?  I mean, it is in the description.  Then again, didn’t see all teams, or more than one on-field style per.

I purchased a Dodgers one to wear on my trip to Las Vegas next month. I think it’ll feel VERY nice having that breeze hit my head. AND it looks great with any of the Dodgers standard jerseys (although I NEVER wear my white one outside of the LA area).

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

17 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

There is a picture of him on a 1991 baseball card. He was still wearing the red gear.

Though while searching, I found him in 87 with maroon. 

This is now the biggest mystery I need to solve. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Take this of course with a grain of salt but I saw on Twitter the other day from someone "supposedly" in the know that the Braves are in the process of phasing out their road greys. I guess that means they'll be wearing the navy blue tops more often, but I can't imagine any MLB team completely eliminating standard primary road grey unis. Unless maybe they're coming out with new ones in the next year or two?

ClAFLDa.png

5 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Take this of course with a grain of salt but I saw on Twitter the other day from someone "supposedly" in the know that the Braves are in the process of phasing out their road greys. I guess that means they'll be wearing the navy blue tops more often, but I can't imagine any MLB team completely eliminating standard primary road grey unis. Unless maybe they're coming out with new ones in the next year or two?

I hope that this doesn't happen, of course.  But it's been done before.  The 1984 NLCS was contested by two teams that had no grey jerseys but only coloured road jerseys.  And they both wore white pants on the road!

Image result for 1984 nlcs  Image result for 1984 nlcs sutcliffe

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

39 minutes ago, Michael Bolton said:

Excellent. Every team should follow suit.

1 hour ago, Michael Bolton said:

Better not.  Road grays are always preferable to softball tops. 

They’re wearing the road grays as I type this, so consider me extremely doubtful. They still know to respect tradition. In fact, I saw from one of the beat writers the other day saying that they’ve designated their cream throwbacks for Sundays only instead of wearing them the full weekend. Doesn’t sounds like a club about to nix gray completely.

Here is a Reddit thread with people discussing the gray road set from two days ago. Two separate people are claiming to have been told the grays are going away. I just browsed MLB Shop and the gray inventory is definitely less readily available than the other sets. I have a hard time believing it, but take it for what it’s worth. I will be pissed if this is the case. The gray is highly underrated and a classic. Especially with the traditional cap. I don’t mind the all blue cap but would prefer it every now and then. The red brim should be worn most of the time.

2 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

:censored: these clowns...

I hate the Braves navy uniforms. I really do. There’s no life in them. It’s navy from sleeve to sleeve. The words are navy. The tomahawk is navy. The cap is navy. Everything is navy and it’s just really bad. 

XM4KeeA.png

I don't know if they can completely drop their road grays from existence. Choosing not to wear it is an option but I doubt it will cease to exist. The Marlins didn't wear their road grays once in a regular season game in 2013 or 2014 but they did still exist as Stanton and Henderson Alvarez had to wear them at the 2014 All Star Game since teams are supposed to wear their primary home or road unis. Isn't this year's ASG a road game for the NL? Let's see what the Braves player(s) wear that night. 

59 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I don't know if they can completely drop their road grays from existence. Choosing not to wear it is an option but I doubt it will cease to exist. The Marlins didn't wear their road grays once in a regular season game in 2013 or 2014 but they did still exist as Stanton and Henderson Alvarez had to wear them at the 2014 All Star Game since teams are supposed to wear their primary home or road unis. Isn't this year's ASG a road game for the NL? Let's see what the Braves player(s) wear that night. 

That's not unprecedented either. The Cleveland players wore their dark blue alts during the ASG at some point in the 90s.

6 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

That's not unprecedented either. The Cleveland players wore their dark blue alts during the ASG at some point in the 90s.

After that, I believe MLB mandated home white and road gray uniforms for the All-Star Game.

36 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:
6 hours ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Cleveland players wore their dark blue alts during the ASG at some point in the 90s.

After that, I believe MLB mandated home white and road gray uniforms for the All-Star Game.

If only such a rule had been in place in 1979, when Pete Rose wore his warmup during the All-Star Game. 

Related image

If not for that act, we might not be saddled with the scourge of coloured tops today.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived