MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

All very true. What I'm proposing is doing away with the name but keeping the colors. Those colors (navy, anyway), predate the Indians name. Besides, it's a way to soften the blow. North Dakota kept kelly green and black, while Marquette is still blue/yellow and Stanford maintains red/white (with green and black accents). The name can change, but the colors should remain. Teams don't usually throw away nearly a century of color continuity.

That would be fine with me. I just think a rebrand is an opportunity to own a color combo since RWB is so prevalent in MLB. The Charlotte Knights have shown how great black, white, and metallic gold can look. It was mearly a suggestion.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brown1 said:

So don’t embrace your colors as a whole. Be a dominant one color on the road and the other at home? It’s ok to be a red and blue team.

I agree. That’s what frustrates me with the Rangers. They can’t seem to decide what color they want to be at home. The Nats are also guilty of this with the navy alts they’ve had. 

The frustration associated with the looks of the Brewers and Padres and discussed a lot on this board. The Indians, Diamondbacks (just adopt the teal looks full-time already), and most recently the Rays have also been discussed. IMO, the Rangers don’t get enough flack for the disaster their uniform set is. 

The team’s logo features a red T that shows up nowhere in their uniform set and was really only seen on a cap when ARod was signed and when he played in the 2001 All-Star Game. They don’t feature their nickname on any of their uniforms. They are the only team outside the Yankees, who have a pass, to do this. The font on the uniforms may be the worst in MLB.

9 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

I like the red cap with the white for the Indians & hope to see it more often. Just please refrain from pairing it with the road jersey. 

Yes, that would look horrible. The Indians only wear red socks and undershirts at home, so that's when the red hat should get mixed in. 

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

When was this? It looks good.

2014 I think? They were "Los Mets" jerseys for Latin night. They had this orange and a blue version. The blue version was so well received I believe that probably got the ball rolling on the blue alts. 

11 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

The frustration associated with the looks of the Brewers and Padres and discussed a lot on this board. The Indians, Diamondbacks (just adopt the teal looks full-time already), and most recently the Rays have also been discussed. IMO, the Rangers don’t get enough flack for the disaster their uniform set is. 

The team’s logo features a red T that shows up nowhere in their uniform set and was really only seen on a cap when ARod was signed and when he played in the 2001 All-Star Game. They don’t feature their nickname on any of their uniforms. They are the only team outside the Yankees, who have a pass, to do this. The font on the uniforms may be the worst in MLB.

I wouldn't expect the Rangers' look to change any time in the future. I'm a season ticket holder and at one of the exclusive events the VP of Ballpark Entertainment was asked about this. His response was (paraphrased) that ownership feels that putting "TEXAS" on all uniforms markets the team to the entire state. Having red and blue as equal colors markets to Texans across the state. Long story short, it's all about marketing. When asked if the team would change moving into the new ballpark in 2020, he said it was unlikely.

I can't really disagree with him. On a random day one will see tons of all three home jerseys in the stands. I own all three versions mysself, plus a few throwbacks. From an ownership perspective, it makes little sense to change what sells.

On 4/27/2018 at 6:15 PM, DiePerske said:

The more and more I think about it, the key color for the Padres isn't brown nor blue. 

It's yellow. Padres need to have yellow in their colour scheme, regardless if it's blue and yellow (my personal choice) or brown and yellow. They need it to look like themselves. 

On 4/28/2018 at 11:47 AM, Whitesox572 said:

I think blue and yellow work best for the Padres.  I'm not liking the Friday jerseys at all.  I was in love with the 2016 unis.  Need to build off those and call it a day.

I can go part-way to agreeing with this.

I think that brown and yellow define the Padres. But, if brown is not possible, then blue and yellow would be great. 

Image result for padres 2016

Image result for padres 2016

For me replacing the blue with brown would make these the perfect uniforms.  But if they were kept exactly like this, even I as a brown fan could not complain.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Perfect Zero said:

I wouldn't expect the Rangers' look to change any time in the future. I'm a season ticket holder and at one of the exclusive events the VP of Ballpark Entertainment was asked about this. His response was (paraphrased) that ownership feels that putting "TEXAS" on all uniforms markets the team to the entire state. Having red and blue as equal colors markets to Texans across the state. Long story short, it's all about marketing. When asked if the team would change moving into the new ballpark in 2020, he said it was unlikely.

I can't really disagree with him. On a random day one will see tons of all three home jerseys in the stands. I own all three versions mysself, plus a few throwbacks. From an ownership perspective, it makes little sense to change what sells.

Thanks for that insight. As someone who is not a Texan, I can’t really comment on how seeing TEXAS on a uniform

might make a Texan feel. 

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:
On 4/28/2018 at 10:03 PM, insert name said:

I wouldn't mind if the Mets tried orange jersey again. Maybe orange hats to go with the jersey. Also they need to bring back the Mr. Met patch on the alts. 

Related image

When was this? It looks good.

I am a confirmed hater of coloured jerseys.  In fact, "no coloured jerseys" would probably be in my "Universal Maxims". But I even there I admit my inconsistency, because I love the mid-70s A's jerseys that were yellow and even green.

If there is one team that does coloured jerseys well these days, it's the Mets.  Their blue road jersey, with the grey-on-orange lettering, is very nice.  And I also think that this orange jersey is not so bad (apart from the ridiculous "Los Mets" wordmark).  However, I would not pair this jersey with an orange cap; it goes well with the blue cap.

The one change to this jersey that I would make is to have the player names in one-colour letters, in blue alone. The letters are so small that the white outline makes them unreadable against the bright orange background.  This is not really an issue on the blue home jerseys, on which the white outline does not hinder the readability of the small letters in the name.

(Of course, baseball jerseys should dispense with player names completely.  But that's another issue.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The Padres have 3 options IMO:

1. Brown & Yellow

2. Navy & Yellow

3. Brown & Orange (My personal fave for them.)

Also, they should be bring back that tawny colour they wore on the road over the grey. It was unique to them & if the right shade, would work with all 3 colour schemes suggested here. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Rangers look has issues but I don't think they need any changes. The year they got rid of all the black drop shadows set them up perfectly fine for a long time to come. 

The only issue I see is when they pair the white jersey with the red cap. I'd rather see the white jersey with the blue cap. As for what they'd wear with the red cap, I can't decide between the current red jersey or a late 90s throwback where "RANGERS" is spelled out in red.

8 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

2014 I think? They were "Los Mets" jerseys for Latin night. They had this orange and a blue version. The blue version was so well received I believe that probably got the ball rolling on the blue alts. 

Can't believe that was what it took for the Mets to have blue alts. Reading through this discussion has made clear that the Mets have done an unusually strong job of holding onto that Metsy brand while also falling into nearly every short-lived uniform trend. Bring back the white caps!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived