MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

16 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Thank you!  That was driving me crazy.  This was the shot I was looking for:

Kluszewski02.jpg

I think I was just looking for the historical context of sleeveless jerseys, but given the lack of information I found about sleeveless jerseys and vests in general, all I ended up with was that they're not a 90's only invention.  Also, I'd thought it was the pinstriped Reds jersey, but it wasn't.

That particular shot of Ted Kluszewski doesn't show a vest.  It shows a regular jersey with the sleeves shortened/cut off.

Deion Sanders and other Reds players adopted that style in the 90s as a tribute to Jackie Robinson.

From UniWatch --

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/051201

1950s Reds slugger Ted Kluszewski routinely cut the sleeves from his jersey. Another Red, Deion Sanders, shortened the sleeves on his road jersey as a tribute to Jackie Robinson in 1997 (and when the league office objected, the rest of the Reds shortened their sleeves in solidarity, which had the odd side-effect of forcing the team's sleeve patches up onto their shoulders). 

062597harris_400x359.jpg5d2a4731f9bce1c78d289ead2714faf2.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

That particular shot of Ted Kluszewski doesn't show a vest.  It shows a regular jersey with the sleeves shortened/cut off.

Deion Sanders and other Reds players adopted that style in the 90s as a tribute to Jackie Robinson.

From UniWatch --

062597harris_400x359.jpg5d2a4731f9bce1c78d289ead2714faf2.jpg

And that "Jackie Robinson" nod was always weird because in photos his sleeves were at most at the short end of normal, and not the Klu-like stuff Deion did.

Jackie_Robinson,_Brooklyn_Dodgers,_1954.jpg

jackie-robinson-9460813-1-402.jpg

jackie-robinson.jpg

jackie-dodgers-sliding.jpeg

14 minutes ago, RichO said:

And that "Jackie Robinson" nod was always weird because in photos his sleeves were at most at the short end of normal, and not the Klu-like stuff Deion did.

I always thought the same thing.  Uniform sleeves in general tended to be shorter in the 40s and 50s.  However, the shortened sleeves Deion wore looked much more like something Kluszewski would wear than something Jackie Robinson wore.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

The placement of the front numbers on the right side of those Reds jerseys was one of the biggest sore thumbs in uniform history.  It was really hard to stop noticing.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

19 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I always thought the same thing.  Uniform sleeves in general tended to be shorter in the 40s and 50s.  However, the shortened sleeves Deion wore looked much more like something Kluszewski would wear than something Jackie Robinson wore.

At least once, the Reds and White Sox need to have a Big Klu night where the teams wear throwbacks with hacked off sleeves and no undershirts.

16 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The placement of the front numbers on the right side of those Reds jerseys was one of the biggest sore thumbs in uniform history.  It was really hard to stop noticing.

Excellent point.  The numbers look completely out of place.  Maybe the altered sleeves were really intended to distract from that offense against baseball aesthetics.

2 hours ago, RichO said:
3 hours ago, leopard88 said:

From UniWatch --

Yeah, I'm calling bull :censored: on the whole "it's a tribute to Jackie!" thing. 

Griffey cut off his sleeves because he liked sleeveless jerseys.  The year before, he cut the sleeves off his Rainiers throwback jerseys.

1996-road-rainiers4.jpg

In 1999, when the Mariners held the first "Turn Ahead the Clock" game, Griffey didn't like the original uniforms as presented.

990484576_32aec8f22b_o.jpg

So Griffey himself took a pair of scissors and went around the locker room, cutting off his teammates' sleeves.  

2657610308_3e655a1709_o.jpg

So yeah.  This was a lot less about Jackie than it was about Junior.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:15 AM, Ray Lankford said:

If we're telling the Dbacks what to do, I think they should switch to turquoise, black and copper:

IMG_2751.thumb.JPG.cdec7680cd68d5bdc01e5e345adc32ed.JPG

It's unique, evocative of the area and it looks good.

That would look nice. It's just dropping the purple from the original color scheme, which made them look too close to the Rockies anyway.  Sharp, bright look.

Earrings%2B366.jpgNative American Beaded Turquoise Black, Silver and Teal Earrings. via Etsy. #beadworkImage result for copper teal black native american

6 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Heh.  I know.  That was the point.  I remembered an old instance of a sleeveless jersey and couldn't remember it.

4 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I imagine whoever designed those just looked at the fact that they were on that side on the homes and decided "Why don't I just make it harmonious across the different uniforms?"  I mean, I know it's usually on the other side, but that originally came from the Dodgers and makes sense with upward slanting wordmarks.  But if the wordmark is even, it doesn't really make a difference.  Then again, I'm used to having a team and being in a division where front numbers aren't a thing, so I'm not as used to looking at them every night.  I didn't even notice they were usually on the same side until you brought it up.  I might just not be as used to it as you.

spacer.png

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, jerseyjunk said:

What is that? A west, and then a t-shirt underneath with a sleeve patch on it? 

lol yeah, most teams had sleeve patches on the undershirts. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

43 minutes ago, jerseyjunk said:

But can you then explain to me the purpose of a west, why not just have teal sleeves sewn on a jersey.  :wacko:

The Anaheim Angels (97-01) wore a "west" with the sleeves sewn on and pretty much every fan hated it.  Said it looked cheap...and often, it was the counter-argument: "If you're going to wear something that looks like a vest, why not just wear a vest with a t-shirt?".

I think quite a few minor league teams wear faux-vests, or at least used to. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Anaheim Angels (97-01) wore a "west" with the sleeves sewn on and pretty much every fan hated it.  Said it looked cheap.  

I see, well if you have to have a west in your uniform lineup, you have to have nothing on underneath. Like those old photos higher up in his tread. The whole reason for a west is to have free arm movement like in basketball and mountain climbing.

Speaking of free arm movement like in basketball. Why the hell do they not use wests in basketball´s sister sport handball? 

Archived