MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

On 5/6/2018 at 2:54 PM, DeFrank said:

I get that. I think ideally, rather than the beveled W or curly W, the 2005 sets would have been best suited by being paired with the all-red DC cap. I found a photo of a guy in the 2005 road uniform and the appropriate blue DC cap. This would have also been the best possible 2005-era road look. Never put together.

Agreed. Overall, I think DC > curly W > bevel W.

The DC logo is a nice, quirky-ish secondary-type logo, but I just don't like the thought of it being the primary.. I really do love the Curly-W

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The DC logo is a Nicki nice, quirky-ish secondary-type logo, but I just don't like the thought of it being the primary.. I really do love the Curly-W

The curly W is strong enough to be both a primary logo and a cap/secondary/small application logo. It truly does work for everything.

A Nationals team with a "DC" cap logo would definitely need a different primary logo... which they had.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

31 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

The curly W is strong enough to be both a primary logo and a cap/secondary/small application logo. It truly does work for everything.

I could not disagree more. 

Its barely strong enough to be a cap logo. It’s not at all good on the front of a jersey. The italic slant robs it of the balance that jersey logos really need. 

By far the weakest part of their original set. And still the weakest part of their identity. 

27 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

A Nationals team with a "DC" cap logo would definitely need a different primary logo... which they had.

I think they can both have a place in the identity for sure.. But only with the Curly-W as primary.. The DC logo, imo, is a great sleeve patch and alt cap logo

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I could not disagree more. 

Its barely strong enough to be a cap logo. It’s not at all good on the front of a jersey. The italic slant robs it of the balance that jersey logos really need. 

By far the weakest part of their original set. And still the weakest part of their identity. 

Maybe you're right, but from my perspective, it's so popular and so ubiquitous in DC. They've truly willed it into being the thing you associate with the Nationals.

Related image

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

10 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

I think they can both have a place in the identity for sure.. But only with the Curly-W as primary.. The DC logo, imo, is a great sleeve patch and alt cap logo

DC is perfect for the sleeve and maybe the chest of an alternate 

3 hours ago, HuntTheJones said:

The Braves are wearing their Cream alternates today against San Francisco.  This is the first time this year, and I believe the first time in a while.  I can't recall seeing them at all last season.  Hopefully they are back more often.

Check the MLB tracker on the main site. They wore them plenty last year. I agree, I would like to see them more often. As a Braves fan, I think they are gorgeous and a nice throwback. I enjoy the simpler headspoon and the script is strong enough to work on its own without the tomahawk. Paired with the traditional cap, and it’s just about perfect. If the normal set wasn’t so classic, I’d love for them to base their normal home and road uniforms around it.

2 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Check the MLB tracker on the main site. They wore them plenty last year. I agree, I would like to see them more often. As a Braves fan, I think they are gorgeous and a nice throwback. I enjoy the simpler headspoon and the script is strong enough to work on its own without the tomahawk. Paired with the traditional cap, and it’s just about perfect. If the normal set wasn’t so classic, I’d love for them to base their normal home and road uniforms around it.

I would love for them to be the day game alternates, similar to how the Phillies do theirs. Have the previous red jersey for a Friday night alternate, and a navy jersey with red lettering for the road alternate. 

9 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That had the potential to be a fantastic look for them. A slightly cleaner script (with a better “C” and no “White Sox” lettering) and black replacing royal would make push it over the top. It also helped that this specific uniform had WHITE SOCKS.

artpp-tj02-130372-l-prodimage.jpg

The powder blue base is Chris probably misinterpreting the Cooperstown Collection graphic.

There was a powder blue version worn in 1967 and 1968. The uniform pictured above was worn in 1969 and 1970.

8 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

KC looks terrific in those throwbacks.... I think that if they wanted to use that as a base for a redo, they totally could get away with it. 

While the Royals have had a lot of history with their current "KC" hat logo, I wouldn't mind at all if they went to using the Monarchs' "KC" logo.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

20 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

artpp-tj02-130372-l-prodimage.jpg

Oh, how about this!  That picture reveals something that I didn't realise: namely, that the 1969 and 1970 Sox road uniform had white-on-blue lettering on the front, but a blue-on-white number on the back, with a one-colour blue name.

Image result for 1969 white sox

That's not too good.  The white-on-blue number would have been good for the back as well.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

19 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Maybe you're right, but from my perspective, it's so popular and so ubiquitous in DC. They've truly willed it into being the thing you associate with the Nationals.

This I could not agree with more. For better or worse the Curly W IS their identity right now. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This isn't getting talked about enough. How stupid is this?

Agreed.  They should be thanking Lowrie for wearing those cleats and force the rest of the team to get green ones to match.  

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

6 minutes ago, CardsFan79 said:

Agreed.  They should be thanking Lowrie for wearing those cleats and force the rest of the team to get green ones to match.  

Not just that... how many players no longer conform to standard cleat colors on every team? I myself don't mind the multi colored cleats as long as they're still team colors but to suddenly single out one guy when everyone else is doing this is preposterous. Not to mention green IS a team color. 

Photos: Royals-Tigers in Negro League Throwbacks

May 7, 2018 - 15:52 PM

The Kansas City Royals and Detroit Tigers turned the clock back to the early 1920s yesterday afternoon at Kaufman Stadium in Missouri to wear the uniforms of the Negro Leagues’ Kansas City Monarchs and Detroit Stars. Both teams were wearing […]

Read More...

Archived