MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Not just that... how many players no longer conform to standard cleat colors on every team? I myself don't mind the multi colored cleats as long as they're still team colors but to suddenly single out one guy when everyone else is doing this is preposterous. Not to mention green IS a team color. 

Exactly.  If he had been wearing pink, blue, red, orange etc...then I get it.  But they better be warning every player that has some funky colored cleats.  But he was wearing a team color for Pete's sake!  If they want to enforce a uniform code, do it for all players for all parts of their uniform, all the time.  Everyone wears either long pants, or high pants with matching socks; everyone wears matching undershirts, pads, etc...all in team colors.

I don't see how Lowrie wearing green cleats with an A's uniform is worthy of a warning from the league and all the other nonsense that goes on is just fine.  I'm a Cardinals fan.  I'm happy to have Marcell Ozuna.  But if green cleats for an A's player warrants a warning, surely a neon green arm sleeve with a Cardinals uniform warrants one!  On the road he's used red, so he obviously owns one.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Maybe you're right, but from my perspective, it's so popular and so ubiquitous in DC. They've truly willed it into being the thing you associate with the Nationals.

That's a pretty fancy way of saying "They use it a lot."  :P 

Ubiquity does not equal quality.  I think Bud Selig got this particular one wrong, but I understand that may be an unpopular opinion.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

That's a pretty fancy way of saying "They use it a lot."  :P 

Ubiquity does not equal quality.  I think Bud Selig got this particular one wrong, but I understand that may be an unpopular opinion.

Haha I agree. I think beyond that tough, it’s been very popular with fans, and has become recognizable. Wouldn’t that go some of the way to demonstrating it’s a quality primary mark? 

What would you you do instead? Thoughts on the DC cap logo? Curly or bevel W as a cap logo?

19 minutes ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

I don't mind the curly w on the hat, but I don't like it on the jersey. Would personally like if they added the nationals script to the home jersey (like the new navy alternate).

Agreed. This seems to be the most logical and likely direction the Nats will go, based on their history of introducing alternates that become the eventual basis for the primary.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

Haha I agree. I think beyond that tough, it’s been very popular with fans, and has become recognizable. Wouldn’t that go some of the way to demonstrating it’s a quality primary mark?

No, not at all.  Not every recognizable logo makes a good primary, nor makes a good chest logo.  The italics make it too weak to anchor a jersey.  The balance is all off.

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

What would you you do instead? Thoughts on the DC cap logo? Curly or bevel W as a cap logo?

The DC cap logo is a much stronger logo.  Better balance.  That worked very well on the jerseys.

owhfg901eadwvcbkrbwaxbxhf.gif

But absent that, I'd start from scratch.   I don't think the Nationals have had anything really fantastic, except for this script "Nationals" prototype that they rejected.

c7d2813066189552fae3dc3b744ea4cf.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

c7d2813066189552fae3dc3b744ea4cf.jpg

I'd bet money that two years from now this will be their home jersey. They just introduced a navy alternate with it. Feels a lot like when they introduced the red curly W alternate in 2009-2010 before unveiling the primary curly W whites in 2011.

potd 10/20/12

43 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

I'd bet money that two years from now this will be their home jersey. They just introduced a navy alternate with it. Feels a lot like when they introduced the red curly W alternate in 2009-2010 before unveiling the primary curly W whites in 2011.

I hope you're right - would instantly become the best jersey they've ever worn.

20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I hope you're right - would instantly become the best jersey they've ever worn.

It’s funny. I never really thought too critically about the Nats uniforms until recently. I always tangentially thought of the script “Nationals” uniform as particularly plain and nondescript. That opinion was probably formed in 2010-2011 when that prototype image was flying around. Now that they’ve gone fully curly W, had some on-field success, and I’ve thought more about baseball uniforms, I see the appeal a lot more.

Maybe I was subconsciously worried about an on-field Senators redux leading to an off-field version of the same? Now that they’re Good I don’t have that fear?

potd 10/20/12

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

Has the irony of Montreal's football team having roots in the Chesapeake, and the Chesapeake's NL entry having Montreal roots ever been pointed out?

Only by the same people who point out that teams named “Browns” eventually move to Baltimore. ;) 

Script home and away, DC cap for both, DC chest alts for home and away.  Perfect and classic set.

I wouldn't mind losing the road script and going with DC on the chest on the grays, and then using the road script on alts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Script home and away, DC cap for both, DC chest alts for home and away.  Perfect and classic set.

I wouldn't mind losing the road script and going with DC on the chest on the grays, and then using the road script on alts.

Would be fantastic. I want to figure out some way of getting "Washington" and "DC" on the uniform at once. That'd do it. And if the "DC" isn't beveled it wouldn't feel like a "mismatched" set of elements.

Grey with red "DC" on the chest would be a really, really good jersey.

potd 10/20/12

6 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

Would be fantastic. I want to figure out some way of getting "Washington" and "DC" on the uniform at once. That'd do it. And if the "DC" isn't beveled it wouldn't feel like a "mismatched" set of elements.

Grey with red "DC" on the chest would be a really, really good jersey.

What would you think about a red D and white C (or vice versa)?  Kinda like the Twins TC.  

If they put the DC on the gray road, then the c could be navy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

35 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What would you think about a red D and white C (or vice versa)?  Kinda like the Twins TC.  

If they put the DC on the gray road, then the c could be navy.

Nah I think it should stay. Personally, I think the color balance is fine with blue/red hat, red lettering, red socks on the road. "Washington" or "DC" works.

Image result for nationals road uniform

potd 10/20/12

56 minutes ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

What about replacing the front number on the away jersey with a "DC"? I don't know if this would be a good idea or not. 

That sounds like an idea that would be the greatest thing ever if it was done a long time ago and had some history associated with it. But if you slapped on it now, people might complain about it. 

Kinda like how the Dodgers have that mismatched red numbers on the front jersey while they're primary a blue-white team. It's a quirk that works because it've been there from the start. If the Dodgers had blue numbers and decide to use red numbers all of sudden, people would go nuts. 

I'm just using the Dodgers as an example, though. 

I guess this might be better off in the unpopular opinions thread now but I think the Nationals have a borderline top 5 look in baseball. There are some small fixes they could make, like getting their hat situation set and fixing the piping on the road jerseys so it's uniform, but overall it's great. 

And I don't think DC would work on the hats because they're not the DC Nationals, they're the Washington Nationals. I do like the idea of putting it under the wordmark on the jerseys that have the wordmark.

Archived