MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

As if the Padres aren’t a big enough mess...I’m watching the Cardinals and Padres and just noticed that even though the Pads are wearing their brown and yellow jerseys tonight, AJ Ellis is wearing a navy helmet under his catchers mask.  

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

Are people still confusing the Mets with the Giants? The Giants moved to San Francisco 60 years ago. 

Bigger mistakes have been made...

the-hockey-sweater.jpg

On 5/10/2018 at 10:32 PM, seasaltvanilla said:

Made this up real quick based on this idea. Included original teal and a brighter shade that I think matches the magenta better

HyBuJQT.png

On 5/11/2018 at 9:26 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

Wow - just reading the description, I would never have expected it to look good, but damn - that really does look great.  

Here's a quick mock-up of the D-Backs home uniform with that new color scheme. I really like it!

D_Backs_magenta.png

On 5/6/2018 at 12:03 PM, DeFrank said:

I'd love to hear what people think about the use of "DC" or the "W" on the cap irrespective of the design (curly, bevel, neither, etc.) of that element.

To me, a team called the "Washington Nationals" could exclusively wear a cap with an interlocking "DC." So at home it reads "DC Nationals" and on the road it reads "DC Washington." The Nats have never worn a uniform with "Washington" on the jersey and "DC" on the cap, even though that would be a great little thing. It's like the Twins, who have a cap with "TC" on it, even though "C" isn't in the name Minnesota Twins. 

DC all the way. (And it should be the beveled one as originally intended.) You can't say no to interlocking letters on a baseball cap. I could deal with some sort of W on a BP/ST hat but I'd prefer not to have that ambiguity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

DC all the way. (And it should be the beveled one as originally intended.) You can't say no to interlocking letters on a baseball cap. I could deal with some sort of W on a BP/ST hat but I'd prefer not to have that ambiguity.

I think ultimately I agree. You say it best here. “DC” is too perfect as an interlock. Also gives the team a bit more local je ne sais quoi.  

It’ll never happen now though. Spend one day at Nats Park and it becomes clear it’s literally impossible

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

They went in absolutely the wrong direction: red and curly W, when they should have gone navy and DC. And the park shouldn't have uneven green walls, either. Everyone has those!

On 5/8/2018 at 11:09 AM, DeFrank said:

Are there examples to you or objectively bad logos that ought to be kept around because they’re so ingrained with a team’s identity? I’m not saying the Nats are there, but ten years from now they sure could be

Instantly thought of the Islanders logo. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

They went in absolutely the wrong direction: red and curly W, when they should have gone navy and DC. And the park shouldn't have uneven green walls, either. Everyone has those!

I don’t get the last part, can you explain lol

i like the red and white. DC flag colors. 

potd 10/20/12

Well, I would have preferred symmetrical outfield dimensions like RFK had, especially if they were going to be deeper than average. I don't want every team to have little notches and angles in the outfield (lol). The use of green, while a traditional neutral baseball color, doesn't fit the modern vibe of the park. I'd have used a dark blue-grey or maybe even normal dark grey. 

I guess my problem with emphasizing red is that it's an unnecessary co-branding with the Leonsis teams. I know we all love the Pittsburgh one city/one scheme thing, but the Redskins already botch that by having their own colors and no DC imagery whatsoever. If I owned the team, I'd want to set them off from the local competition just a bit.

23 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Well, I would have preferred symmetrical outfield dimensions like RFK had, especially if they were going to be deeper than average. I don't want every team to have little notches and angles in the outfield (lol). The use of green, while a traditional neutral baseball color, doesn't fit the modern vibe of the park. I'd have used a dark blue-grey or maybe even normal dark grey. 

I guess my problem with emphasizing red is that it's an unnecessary co-branding with the Leonsis teams. I know we all love the Pittsburgh one city/one scheme thing, but the Redskins already botch that by having their own colors and no DC imagery whatsoever. If I owned the team, I'd want to set them off from the local competition just a bit.

I always thought that a stadium in the capital city should be more like Yankee Stadium - iconic, gimmick-free, imposing, and something that just seems more special than the other parks - and not just another gimmicky neo-retro stadium.  To the uneducated, there's really not a difference between Nationals Park, Citizens Bank Park, Target, Jacob's, etc.

Also totally agree about the walls.  In general I prefer green, but they should really have blue - either royal or navy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree, and the vexing part is that they almost got there -- the exterior of the park is unlike any of its contemporaries, but you get to the field and it may as well be Cleveland or Detroit with the jagged walls, little seating sections cut off from everyone else, and so on. Washington architecture calls to mind symmetry and balance, whether that's neoclassical government buildings or those Kubrickian vaulted Metro tubes. This is not that:

NationalsPark.gif

That's a mess. Nothing in the outfield has to be the way it is. Why one big mezzanine in right instead of smaller mezzanines in left and right? Why not a bipartisan bleacher solution?

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Gotcha on the outfield. I hadn't thought about that. 

The red is emphasized but I don't think it qualifies as Leonsis co-branding. After all, in 2005 the Capitals and Wizards still looked like this. Even today, the Nats feel like red/white team as opposed to a red/white/blue team (Caps too). To me, they feel different. 

Also, the exterior does give off that "monumental vibe" that, as you mentioned, the Metro also takes a stab at (in a very different way). Had never thought about the interior though. Having gone to RFK games during the first couple of years, it's hard for me to be sympathetic to... anything about that park. But I see what you mean.

natspark-portrait.jpg

potd 10/20/12

Ben Zobrist was warned about wearing black cleats during day games at Wrigley... this is getting silly... though I see where MLB is coming from as it violates the 51% team colors rule. The rules need to be changed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/major-league-baseball-warns-chicago-cubs-ben-zobrist-wearing-black-cleats/zr0u4mgbrq2f1mnxgldftu2g6

On 5/12/2018 at 5:27 PM, the admiral said:

I agree, and the vexing part is that they almost got there -- the exterior of the park is unlike any of its contemporaries, but you get to the field and it may as well be Cleveland or Detroit with the jagged walls, little seating sections cut off from everyone else, and so on. Washington architecture calls to mind symmetry and balance, whether that's neoclassical government buildings or those Kubrickian vaulted Metro tubes. This is not that:

NationalsPark.gif

That's a mess. Nothing in the outfield has to be the way it is. Why one big mezzanine in right instead of smaller mezzanines in left and right? Why not a bipartisan bleacher solution?

I agree the dimensions are pretty funky, but at the same time it’s something I appreciate about baseball. Not every playing field is the same, for better and for worse.

Archived