MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

But that assumes that Padres fans are not even cognizant of the team ever having worn brown, even though retro Padres gear is widespread and many of the franchise's best players and seasons are associated with brown uniforms. It might be new to fans at games in person (if you allow that they've never seen the Padres wear throwbacks or alternates), but it wouldn't be something completely unfamiliar to them, like, say, sky blue and beige were.

Of course they know the Padres wore brown, it's just that those weren't their Padres. They know Randy Jones as the guy who owns a BBQ, not the guy who won a Cy Young. Their guys are probably Steve Finley or Jake Peavy and they wore blue. It's a never ending circle at this point.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Gothamite said:

That's a good point.   We can say a uniform is of its era while simultaneously being a classic.  And I'd say that this qualifies.

WASH_SPORTS_YEARENDER_2001_1959621.jpg

There is little doubt that it was created in the 1990s.  From the typeface to the color scheme, it is very much a product of its era.  But it's the best of its era, and therefore has real lasting power.

Ichiro-081-e1287378893845.jpg

Similarly, I would argue that the recent changes to the uniform are equally a product of their time, but in the opposite direction; they're emblematic of the mid-2010s tendency towards over-stuffing designs, and they already look dated to me.

954032862.jpeg

Not only is everything you said correct, but the matte batting helmets look awful. They look like they match the lighter navy the Brewers and Padres use. The Mariners need to go back to how they looked in the late '90s, including the teal-billed caps at home (with matching helmets).

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:10 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I dunno.  I feel like Timeless means it doesn't need to evolve.

I actually take back what I said about the Yankees uniforms not looking like something an expansion team would be introduced with.  I'm watching Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals and as I look at the Golden Knights' jerseys, I realize that an expansion team today wouldn't wear something like that.  Expansion teams don't often go with timeless looks.   They go with what is the most current, flashy, faddy look at the time.   Again, that's not necessarily a bad thing, and those identities can sometimes be their most enduring and iconic look.  

It's not likely that an expansion team would go with just two colors anymore, but look at the trash that is the Tampa Bay Lightning. They premiered with a relatively unique look, then a few decades later and after a cup win, copied the Maple Leafs. Especially considering Nike's recent push of stripped-down faux-traditionalist stuff (like the Jaguars), I wouldn't be shocked to see Nike come out with a Penn State/Yankees type look for an expansion team.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Mariners are a weird case for me. There's been occasions where their uniforms look dated and I want them to change, but then there's times where I'm like, "this is alright, I can live with this for another few years".

Marlins throwbacks looked great last night, can't post pics from my phone but some uniform detailed observations from me...

-They wore the black helmets even though they wore the teal caps which is inaccurate but it is a better looking helmet. They never wore the black helmets at home until 1995 and only with the black caps, never with the teal caps.

We've mentioned this already but the inaccuracies on the cap were the batterman logo, the New Era logo, the 25th anniversary patch, the white trim around the logo, and the centered logo. 

The helmet decals looked great but the helmets were matte and had the orange current font numbers on the back. Awkward look to me.

Most players kept their orange trimmed cleats and accessories which bugged me visually but Lewis Brinson Cameron Maybin and Miguel Rojas did get some black and teal cleats which also looked good yet were inaccurate for 1993. I did notice some players who normally wear orange accesories did wear black and white accesories if they already had them available. Nobody but Brinson Maybin or Rojas went out of their way for new gear but for example Caleb Smith always wears orange cleats but for this game he wore the plain black and white cleats that he wore during spring training. Smart man.

Jt Realmuto wore orange trimmed catcher gear and that one bothered me all game. Nobody at least had an all black set of gear laying around? Yes I'm nitpicking but that's what we do here right?

Noticed the jersey pinstripes were all accurate too, none of the mesh panels under the arms down the sides and on the butt flap that appear without pinstripes on current pinstriped jerseys. 

Pants didn't have the batterman logo on the belt but the jersey and caps did have the batterman logo which did not exist in 93.

Jersey seemed accurate except for the batterman logo and the 25th anniversary patch but I can live with that because it's pretty beautiful.

Not one player did I see with high socks. Yikes. 

The Padres wore their regular current road grays. 

Generally speaking the teal caps are a gorgeous color and make a fabulous cap for the fans and are fun for the team to wear for this weekend but in action it becomes very clear that they look very loud and the black cap makes the better combo and a better balance of colors. If we could redo their entire uniform rotation the teal cap would just be an alternate and the black the primary. 1995 seems to be the year they got it right in reality. 

Also the scoreboards were edited too. The smaller scoreboard had a digital image of the old Teal Monster scoreboard and the big scoreboard used 90s digital looking graphics. 

Never seen a helmet with dual-jaw guards, or one with duct tape.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Marlins throwbacks looked great last night, can't post pics from my phone but some uniform detailed observations from me...

-They wore the black helmets even though they wore the teal caps which is inaccurate but it is a better looking helmet. They never wore the black helmets at home until 1995 and only with the black caps, never with the teal caps.

We've mentioned this already but the inaccuracies on the cap were the batterman logo, the New Era logo, the 25th anniversary patch, the white trim around the logo, and the centered logo. 

The helmet decals looked great but the helmets were matte and had the orange current font numbers on the back. Awkward look to me.

Most players kept their orange trimmed cleats and accessories which bugged me visually but Lewis Brinson Cameron Maybin and Miguel Rojas did get some black and teal cleats which also looked good yet were inaccurate for 1993. I did notice some players who normally wear orange accesories did wear black and white accesories if they already had them available. Nobody but Brinson Maybin or Rojas went out of their way for new gear but for example Caleb Smith always wears orange cleats but for this game he wore the plain black and white cleats that he wore during spring training. Smart man.

Jt Realmuto wore orange trimmed catcher gear and that one bothered me all game. Nobody at least had an all black set of gear laying around? Yes I'm nitpicking but that's what we do here right?

Noticed the jersey pinstripes were all accurate too, none of the mesh panels under the arms down the sides and on the butt flap that appear without pinstripes on current pinstriped jerseys. 

Pants didn't have the batterman logo on the belt but the jersey and caps did have the batterman logo which did not exist in 93.

Jersey seemed accurate except for the batterman logo and the 25th anniversary patch but I can live with that because it's pretty beautiful.

Generally speaking the teal caps are a gorgeous color and make a fabulous cap for the fans and are fun for the team to wear for this weekend but in action it becomes very clear that they look very loud and the black cap makes the better combo and a better balance of colors. If we could redo their entire uniform rotation the teal cap would just be an alternate and the black the primary. 1995 seems to be the year they got it right in reality. 

Also the scoreboards were edited too. The smaller scoreboard had a digital image of the old Teal Monster scoreboard and the big scoreboard used 90s digital looking graphics. 

Didn't catch any of the game, but the Padres not playing along with the theme of the party is a bummer. They already wear a home version of what is essentially the 93 uniform, would have been great to see the road for a night. 

9 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Didn't catch any of the game, but the Padres not playing along with the theme of the party is a bummer. They already wear a home version of what is essentially the 93 uniform, would have been great to see the road for a night. 

That might be on the Marlins; road throwbacks are usually arranged by the home team. 

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

When you say "centered logo", I'm assuming you're referring to the way the throwback caps have the vertical post of the F somewhat centered, but the original version had the entire logo centered.. They both look fine to me, I'm assuming  for opposing, but equally valid visual reasons..

24 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That might be on the Marlins; road throwbacks are usually arranged by the home team. 

I'm surprised that the Padres have never agreed to let these guys see the light of day:

vaughn-gwynn-padres-1998.jpg

They have the appropriate hats and batting helmets ready to go, so it shouldn't have been that hard.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm surprised that the Padres have never agreed to let these guys see the light of day:

How do you know they've never "agreed"?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

MLB is buying Rawlings.  The stories say it's to gain more control over the ball, but Rawlings also makes uniforms.  I wonder if MLB will consider moving uniforms to Rawlings/Fanatics instead of closing the deal with Nike.

4 minutes ago, skwid said:

MLB is buying Rawlings.  The stories say it's to gain more control over the ball, but Rawlings also makes uniforms.  I wonder if MLB will consider moving uniforms to Rawlings/Fanatics instead of closing the deal with Nike.

I wouldn't be opposed to this.. In my experience, Rawlings has what I'd consider a more classic fit.. Also, I would imagine this would limit the manufacturer's logo presence.. 

7 hours ago, skwid said:

When I worked in minor league baseball, the team I worked for switched from Wilson to rawlings and the rawlings unis were great. Great cut,  materials. Rawlings taking over the contract would be the greatest over nike.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

Is there a source to this? 

The Wall Street Journal reported MLB's acquisition of Rawlings.  There's a private equity firm involved as well, and it's unclear what MLB's share of Rawlings will be.  The focus of the story was on the ball.

There would be a lot of merit to going with Rawlings as the uniform supplier.  MLB could control everything, and it could be more profitable than licensing.  A Rawlings/MLB tie-up with Fanatics could be seamless.  

The Rawlings brand would also get good lift from being the MLB uniform supplier.  Rawlings already has a solid toe hold at the amateur levels.  Having the logo on the MLB uniforms probably would help sales at the amateur level.

On the flip side, if MLB goes with Nike for uniforms, then Rawlings probably is dead as a uniform supplier.  I think the brand would struggle if its owner went with someone else for uniforms. 

Archived