MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

According to the Indians beat writer for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, it sounds like no changes to the team's uniforms for 2018: http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2017/10/how_did_the_cleveland_indians.html

Wahoo survives for at least one more year, apparently.

It's weird that the question was about alternate uniforms instead of all uniforms.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:32 AM, OnWis97 said:

I am probably in the minority on this one but I love how red-dominate the Angels are and I don't want to see too much navy.  I also like the current halo better than a gold one.  I am not totally sold on their red-on-red alternate, so maybe some more blue there.  But if I could force the Angels to do one thing it would be to get rid of the patch on their right sleeve.  They don't need two different patches on the two sleeves and the "Halo A" is way over-used on the jerseys.

Regarding the Padres, I'm sure there's a meeting coming up on how to make their uniforms more boring.  

I would not be surprised to see the modern-colored BiG full-time, but that would not solve their problems.  The modern colors are a big part of their problem.  Everything else on the uniform (fonts, drop-shadows, stupid little tail) is the rest of it.  The BiG itself was a clever design in the 1970s and my take is that it looks very 70s (though admittedly not as much in the modern colors).  Since the mid-1990s look is a non-starter, I really want to see them go royal and yellow, a color scheme that is far too lacking in pro sports nowadays.  The BiG is popular enough that I'll accept it as part of that look.

Unfortunately, I think the fan-base likes the BiG and is really indifferent toward the rest.  So a dark/drab BiG on the rest of this mess will probably satisfy.  I hold out some hope that the old uniforms/colors, which represent a few really good years in the early 1980s, are enough of that draw that the team will move in that direction.  Regarding the bold, yeah.  It's been around, I think, since the year Miller Park was supposed to open (1999 or so).  It never seemed like a design that had staying power.  And I think it's worn out its welcome.  Of course I thought that the minute I saw them.  But I feel like (and I could be wrong), when I joined this board in the mid-2000s, it was well-liked and now I don't think too many people around here like it at all.  If I'm right, that kind of shows that the look is growing stale.  Regarding "Milwaukee," that 1980s road script is reason enough to bring back the 1980s look.  But I feel like I've heard on the boards that the Brewers kind of shy from that because the rest of the state does not really like Milwaukee.  (though they've since added it to an alt...)

Die-hard Brewers fan here. Yes, we like the BiG logo, and most of us like the navy and yellow.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

Just now, Gothamite said:

Source?  I was told by staff at the club shop that royal sells better than the navy BiG. 

TBH I was only generalizing from myself and people i know.  That sort of surprises me, but not that much.  To me I think it has to do with the fact that our glory years were with royal and yellow, and that the majority of fans probably will always associate our current branding with Braun and sterroids..

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

On 10/25/2017 at 1:35 AM, Quillz said:

I think what the Rangers should do is be a red team at home, and a blue team on the road. If you're gonna have both colors, take it to the logical extreme, I think. I remember when the Red Sox dropped nearly all red when going on the road, and had either a navy blue or a gray. I can't recall if they still do this, but it was kind of neat, and wouldn't mind seeing the Rangers do something similar.

I was recently in Dallas, and while this is purely anecdotal, it seems like they consider the team's main color to be blue.  All shirts / caps I saw people wearing were blue (literally zero red), and even in sports bars that had decorations for the local teams, probably 90% of Rangers stuff was blue, vs maybe a single red cap in one bar.

To me it's not even a decision.  They should be blue both home and road.  You want to add a red brim?  It's unnecessary, but whatev.  Just not a split personality deal where it's one look at home and they look like another team on the road.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, the Rangers' switch to red in the '90s was a mistake. They seemed to correct it after about five or six years, so I don't know why they went back to it again.

I think a royal crown with a red brim could be a good signature element for the Rangers. The Cubs used to have that as a road hat, but I didn't like it for them because I hate all road hats. It would work for the Rangers as a way to get more red involved while staying blue-dominant as they should be.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

According to the Indians beat writer for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, it sounds like no changes to the team's uniforms for 2018: http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2017/10/how_did_the_cleveland_indians.html

Wahoo survives for at least one more year, apparently.

During Manfred's press conference on the Gurriel/Darvish situation this afternoon, the Indians' use of Wahoo came up, and Manfred said the use of a logo and the act of a human making racist gestures were two different things (paraphrasing). He did, however, add that he would be meeting with the Indians during the offseason about the logo.

2 hours ago, soxkrazy said:

During Manfred's press conference on the Gurriel/Darvish situation this afternoon, the Indians' use of Wahoo came up, and Manfred said the use of a logo and the act of a human making racist gestures were two different things (paraphrasing). He did, however, add that he would be meeting with the Indians during the offseason about the logo.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/10/28/yuli-gurriel-chief-wahoo-logo-problematic-mlb/810256001/

I still hate the word "problematic." It's so wishy-washy and passive-aggressive. If ever there were a word tailor-made for exaggerated vocal fry, "problematic" is it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On Orioles' Twitter account, there are images of Buck Showalter wearing an all-black cap with the orange 'B' from the O's road 'Baltimore' jerseys. Has a New Era logo on the side and may be made from a different material. Could be our first look at the 2018 BP caps.

23 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I was recently in Dallas, and while this is purely anecdotal, it seems like they consider the team's main color to be blue.  All shirts / caps I saw people wearing were blue (literally zero red), and even in sports bars that had decorations for the local teams, probably 90% of Rangers stuff was blue, vs maybe a single red cap in one bar.

To me it's not even a decision.  They should be blue both home and road.  You want to add a red brim?  It's unnecessary, but whatev.  Just not a split personality deal where it's one look at home and they look like another team on the road.

I know a lot of people complain about the Rangers and Angels looking too similar due to somewhat similar color schemes and an almost identical font, but there's an easy solution to that quasi-problem: Rangers in blue, Angels in red. Frankly, I much prefer the Rangers in blue, and much prefer the Angels in red, so even in isolation, I think they look better that way. But if you need to differentiate them (which is questionable, IMO), that's the most obvious solution.

3 hours ago, ptaylor said:

On Orioles' Twitter account, there are images of Buck Showalter wearing an all-black cap with the orange 'B' from the O's road 'Baltimore' jerseys. Has a New Era logo on the side and may be made from a different material. Could be our first look at the 2018 BP caps.

2 hours ago, bowld said:

DNPDQkaW4AEXWg8?format=jpg

Paul Lukas replied to someone on Twitter that it's a Bowie Baysox cap, but I think he might be mistaken unless it's an old cap. I couldn't find any evidence of that either though. He might just be thinking about the B on the uniform, which is similar:

Gary_Kendall_ytx7daq5_x9b3b1f9.JPG

Showalter wearing a throwback O's cap:

14892046365_f3a7102b0b_o.jpg

30 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Paul Lukas replied to someone on Twitter that it's a Bowie Baysox cap, but I think he might be mistaken unless it's an old cap. I couldn't find any evidence of that either though. He might just be thinking about the B on the uniform, which is similar:

Gary_Kendall_ytx7daq5_x9b3b1f9.JPG

Showalter wearing throwback O's caps:

14892046365_f3a7102b0b_o.jpg

Buck likes his older hats, but the one he has on in those photos is definitely the B from the road uni and not anything else.  

Would older Baysox hats have the NE logo? Maybe, but similarly, I can't find anything that shows the Baysox wearing that hat.  

Definitely looks like a new Orioles hat, or a custom hat.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived