MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

If that’s really how they see Jeter, that’s on them and not him. The man is far more a Tampan than anything. 

How can you say that when he was born in New Jersey and played for New York, and still has houses at both? Who cares if he has a vacation home near Tampa that doesn’t make him anything more that a snow bird as far as Floridians are concerned.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being born elsewhere has never been an impediment for being a Floridian. ?

Besides, uou’ve got it backwards - Tampa has been his primary residence for a long time, even before he retired from baseball. He only came up here to play ball.

If people see him as a snowbird, that’s because they want to. Not because he is.  We used to joke about he being a carpetbagger back during his playing days.  Only we didn’t actually hold his Florida residency against him, because that would be silly.  ? 

18 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Especially with the internet and how fans all over the country can follow any team from anywhere this is generally gonna be a problem forever. In theory you can't put a new team anywhere where they'll be openly accepted by an entire city. Any major city that can get a team in the future already has baseball fans there who root for other teams. 

To that extent, the Marlins have the same issue with the Braves (TBS for decades), Cubs (WGN as Well) and the Yankees and Orioles (FTL Stadium and Miami Stadium).

I meet alot of Cub/Braves/Yanks/O's fans here in south florida just based on how they made a foothold in the 80's and early 90's down here on TV and through spring ballgames.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

9 hours ago, marlinfan said:

Miami is a very damaged baseball market right now. Unlike any other time in the 25 year existence of the franchise. The stadium deal is still an enormous weight on the franchise. Blowing up the team last winter really took it to another level. It's going to take a long time to correct this. The Jeter group has been doing a lot of things to make Marlins Park a multi-purpose space for community events. They've also been repairing the relationship with local businesses. They got a lot of good publicity and fan support when they wore teal and black for a weekend. But in the end it will take 3-4 of sustained winning to put this team back on the map.

I really believe the franchise would have benefitted tremendously from Jorge Mas purchasing the team. He would have been the first true Miami majority owner. Someone that people could trust from a well-respected family with backgrounds people could identify with. It will be hard for Jeter to shed the NY carpetbagger coming down to Florida to tell us how everything up north was better look. 

The stadium deal is much ado about nothing though. The only tax dollars that went to it as the .5 cent tax from the 90's that was earmarked as giveaway money ONLY for tourist destinations and venues. The way it was described to me by an opponent of it was "If you cheated on your spouse and rented a hotel room in Miami Dade County- THEN you paid for it."

EDIT: Oh , and the art in public places thing that they used to spice up the stadium. That only could go to art too.

Most of the people are upset that the funds weren't directed towards schools, fire depts and police- however it was and still is against the tax code to use it for ANYTHING other than new venues or paying off old debt. If it wasn't towards Marlins Park, it would go towards the Adriene Arsht Center Opera House. The Dolphins lost any hope of getting that Money when they told the Marlins they had to leave by the end of the 2011 season regardless of whether they found a home. That's part of the reason why the stadium renovations have been paid for by Stephen Ross- payback for forcing what some feel is the unfair stadium deal on the county just to keep the Marlins and a "Major League City" moniker most of the towns want so badly.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I will say, that's one thing newer markets have to contend with that the new markets in the 50s didnt, back when tv was still in its infancy. Sure, there was radio (the Cardinals had a network that went as far west as the rockies and as far south as Texas). But it was still no replacement for being able to see live baseball at your local ballpark.  Cable TV and now the internet have trivialized the ballpark experience to a big extent. As have the insane modern ticket prices.

That said, it still begs the question of how Colorado and Arizona haven't had nearly as much trouble as the Florida teams in developing a fanbase.

2 hours ago, NicDB said:

I will say, that's one thing newer markets have to contend with that the new markets in the 50s didnt, back when tv was still in its infancy. Sure, there was radio (the Cardinals had a network that went as far west as the rockies and as far south as Texas). But it was still no replacement for being able to see live baseball at your local ballpark.  

Well, the difference is that in those markets people used to see their local minor league clubs. 

It's hard to understand today how important minor-league baseball used to be.  Minor league clubs used to have greater followings, not to mention their own farm systems, because there were so few major league teams and even those were geographically concentrated.   So you'd have places like Kansas City, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities and the entire West Coast, great baseball markets all, where minor league ball was the only ball they'd see, and they followed it accordingly.

3 hours ago, tubby34 said:

The stadium deal is much ado about nothing though. The only tax dollars that went to it as the .5 cent tax from the 90's that was earmarked as giveaway money ONLY for tourist destinations and venues. The way it was described to me by an opponent of it was "If you cheated on your spouse and rented a hotel room in Miami Dade County- THEN you paid for it."

That would be half-true.

tom-halftrue.png

It also fails to address the ballooning costs of the public bonds put up the by the county.  Bonds that will eventually cost the taxpayer $2.4 billion.

And considering that the Marlins get to count its rent payments as part of their "contribution" to the stadium's cost, it is indeed to spin this as anything less than a terrible deal. 

59 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Well, the difference is that in those markets people used to see their local minor league clubs. 

It's hard to understand today how important minor-league baseball used to be.  Minor league clubs used to have greater followings, not to mention their own farm systems, because there were so few major league teams and even those were geographically concentrated.   So you'd have places like Kansas City, Milwaukee, the Twin Cities and the entire West Coast, great baseball markets all, where minor league ball was the only ball they'd see, and they followed it accordingly.

That, and the level of play you could expect at a top minor league like the PCL or American Association was proportionately closer to what you see out of some middle of the road MLB clubs now.  But a local minor league club was still no substitute for true, big league ball being anywhere near where you lived.

Heck, the Wisconsin State League was easily one of the most well supported minor leagues after WWII.  But the presence of the Braves alone, in one corner of the state, was able to siphon off support and cause its demise in the age of 25 cent gas.

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Being born elsewhere has never been an impediment for being a Floridian. ?

Besides, uou’ve got it backwards - Tampa has been his primary residence for a long time, even before he retired from baseball. He only came up here to play ball.

If people see him as a snowbird, that’s because they want to. Not because he is.  We used to joke about he being a carpetbagger back during his playing days.  Only we didn’t actually hold his Florida residency against him, because that would be silly.  ? 

Claiming residency when you live 90% of the time in another state because of no state income tax does not make you a Floridian. Atleast that’s how locals view it, he will always be viewed as a New Yorker who came and sold the best players back to his old team. 

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

Claiming residency when you live 90% of the time in another state because of no state income tax does not make you a Floridian. Atleast that’s how locals view it, he will always be viewed as a New Yorker who came and sold the best players back to his old team. 

90%?  He went to Tampa when the Yankees had a long break.

If that's really what Floridians think, then it says a lot more about those Floridians.  But it might also tell us why the state is not a great baseball market.

8 hours ago, tubby34 said:

EDIT: Oh , and the art in public places thing that they used to spice up the stadium. That only could go to art too.

Most of the people are upset that the funds weren't directed towards schools, fire depts and police- however it was and still is against the tax code to use it for ANYTHING other than new venues or paying off old debt. If it wasn't towards Marlins Park, it would go towards the Adriene Arsht Center Opera House. The Dolphins lost any hope of getting that Money when they told the Marlins they had to leave by the end of the 2011 season regardless of whether they found a home. That's part of the reason why the stadium renovations have been paid for by Stephen Ross- payback for forcing what some feel is the unfair stadium deal on the county just to keep the Marlins and a "Major League City" moniker most of the towns want so badly.

I second this whole thing about the tax dollars because I have heard it as well.

From the information I've heard the general public is misinformed about the tax dollars used. They were from a hotel tax that couldn't be used for anything else and not using it for Marlins Park wasn't going to suddenly let it be used for schools or whatever else the public wanted. It's not that simple. 

I've explained this to people and someone once told me "it doesn't matter, tax dollars are all the same" and I'm pretty sure that's not accurate and I think blaming the Marlins specifically for this is pretty ignorant. 

If anyone is gonna be blamed it's the politicians who agreed to the stadium deal. From the beginning people criticized the stadium deal but it doesn't happen without the politicians agreeing to it. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

They're doing the home run derby in primary home uniforms!? NOT the ASG BP jerseys?????

When was the last time this happened?

And how did this happen???? 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't recall it ever happening

I LOVE that the Home Run Derby participants are in their primary uniforms. I’ve never been that big a fan of the special uniforms at all and I think this looks a lot better. I hope this becomes a long-standing tradition. That’s just me though.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

8 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I LOVE that the Home Run Derby participants are in their primary uniforms. I’ve never been that big a fan of the special uniforms at all and I think this looks a lot better. I hope this becomes a long-standing tradition. That’s just me though.

It’s funny, I ended up feeling the opposite. I was disappointed, I liked that the Derby used the special jerseys so you could distinguish what year it was. Looking back at the old Home Run Derbies you could immediately tell who the host was because of the jerseys.

24 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

They're doing the home run derby in primary home uniforms!? NOT the ASG BP jerseys?????

When was the last time this happened?

And how did this happen???? 

First time in a while I think

15 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Not a fan of this primary uni's for Hr Derby. More importantly why is there only 1 AL representative at the derby? Has this ever happened?

I think this might be the first year they don’t have a split of AL and NL

Archived