MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/19/2018 at 4:12 AM, NicDB said:

Maybe this belongs in Unpopular Opinions, but I don't think the Angels have ever looked better.  They could use a few tweaks (ditch the drop shadow on the homes and the white on the roads), and I don't care for the red-on-red alt, but otherwise their look and their brand make perfect sense.  Not only does the red make for the perfect contrast to Dodger blue, but they've managed to own that color in the AL.  Something they'll continue to do as long as the Rangers continue their identity crisis and the Indians figure out what they're doing post-Wahoo.

Everything else the Angles have done ranges from dated (most of their stuff from the 70s and 80s), to forgettable (60s and early 90s, save for the halo caps), to only appropriate for a minor league club (the Disney redesign).  What they have now is as much a modern classic as any IMHO.

The Angels were at their best from 1989 through 1992.

Image result for angels 1991 bryan harvey    Image result for blyleven angels  Image result for wally joyner 1990  Image result for dave winfield angels

They went back to button-down/belted uniforms while retaining their classic wordmark, cap logo, and cap design.  

The current uniform looks OK (apart from the shadow and outline issues that have been pointed out here, and apart from the hats being the wrong colour).  And the 1993-1996 design was at least dignified, even if it was a tad uncreative.

But the only uniform that really suits the team is the one shown above.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 7/16/2018 at 10:22 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Long story short, despite all the past drama, Derek Jeter is a new owner and has nothing to do with past owners... even though he seemingly started out rough (which he had to do in my opinion) he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now that he can fix this problem. 

Can't get much deeper than that without derailing this thread. 

The one good thing about Jeter is that people actually know there is a new owner now.

Up until last November, people still thought Wayne Huizinga still owned the team and tore down both world series champions and refused to support him because he's still running the dolphins into the ground.

I don't even think his passing would have changed the public opinion on how poorly he STILL runs the marlins.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Angels were at their best from 1989 through 1992.

Image result for angels 1991 bryan harvey    Image result for blyleven angels  Image result for wally joyner 1990  Image result for dave winfield angels

They went back to button-down/belted uniforms while retaining their classic wordmark, cap logo, and cap design.  

The current uniform looks OK (apart from the shadow and outline issues that have been pointed out here, and apart from the hats being the wrong colour).  And the 1993-1996 design was at least dignified, even if it was a tad uncreative.

But the only uniform that really suits the team is the one shown above.

Not sure I agree.  The logo was decent, but the lower case letters are incredibly 1970s.  I would say the set immediately after this is probably the best they looked as the California Angels, even though (as you alluded to) they looked like Red Sox West.

The sad thing about the Angels is that they doomed their brand to always be a mess the moment they moved to Anaheim.  The Angels name only works for an LA team, but now they're too established as Orange County's team to be a serious part of the LA sporting culture.  In hindsight, it probably would have been a better idea to name the club after the Hollywood Stars, or even try to unify the fans of the old PCL clubs as the LA Stars.  We may have eventually ended up with the California Stars or the Anaheim Stars, but both of those are infinitely better than any identity the Angels have ever had.

14 hours ago, tubby34 said:

I guess Wayne Huizinga (screw that guy) and Mickey Arison aren't true Miami Owners.

Huizinga did alot for this community on the field and off it for decades and well after the left the sports industry. Arison pretty much was born and raised here from what I gather.

Besides, Jorge Mas would have been a terrible option as owner- for many reasons. Most of which have come about after he threw his hat in the ring.

Micky Arison never owned the Marlins. Huizenga was born in Illinois and did most of his charitable work in Fort Lauderdale. He lived there until his death. He wanted to move the Marlins there and never really cared for Miami.

1997 | 2003

46 minutes ago, marlinfan said:

Micky Arison never owned the Marlins. Huizenga was born in Illinois and did most of his charitable work in Fort Lauderdale. He lived there until his death. He wanted to move the Marlins there and never really cared for Miami.

I was saying the reference to Miami never having true Miami owners. Thought it as across ALL sports.

Huzinga was more Miami than Illinois, he did so much here this was his home. Can't stand him, but he did so much good in the community THAT will be his legacy.  Never heard he wanted to move them to IL before.

7 hours ago, marlinfan said:

He wanted to move the team to Ft. Lauderdale, not Illinois, right?

Correct, admiral. 

Yes, he wanted the team in Fort Lauderdale not Illinois. Lol

Gothamite, I think there are certain benefits from having an owner who is tied to the community. You can see it with Jorge Mas' pitch for the soccer stadium near the airport. It's a legacy project for him. Micky Arison has really involved the Heat in the community. Huizenga was heavily involved in Broward with various charities and projects. It helps develop a relationship with the team and community.

John Henry flew down and asked Miami for prime real estate and $400 million and flew away when it didn't work out. Jeff Loria never built that relationship with fans or the business community. Loria' people never understood the market. 

1997 | 2003

20 minutes ago, marlinfan said:

Correct, admiral. 

Yes, he wanted the team in Fort Lauderdale not Illinois. Lol

Gothamite, I think there are certain benefits from having an owner who is tied to the community. You can see it with Jorge Mas' pitch for the soccer stadium near the airport. It's a legacy project for him. Micky Arison has really involved the Heat in the community. Huizenga was heavily involved in Broward with various charities and projects. It helps develop a relationship with the team and community.

John Henry flew down and asked Miami for prime real estate and $400 million and flew away when it didn't work out. Jeff Loria never built that relationship with fans or the business community. Loria' people never understood the market. 

I feel like Loria got the crap end of the stick here to be honest. He partly deserved it for how he took over the Expos (he was right, but it was wrong), and my biggest gripe I ever had with him was the introduction of Black so heavily in 2003, then the orange promotions from 2005 on. Anyone with half a brain knew orange was going to be a new team color.

Huizinga destroyed the fanbase, Henry thought he could sneak in on the cheap and pick it up, and sailed off for greener pastures the first chance he could.

Loria played the long game. He took over in 2002 and kept fighting for 10 years to get that stadium when we were up for contraction, relocation and everything. I sincerely believe Loria never wanted to leave the Miami market and the only reason he sold was because of Jose Fernandez and how it devastated him emotionally.

With that said, he wasn't tied to the community like you mentioned. He lived in West Palm, and wasn't a real factor in regards to interviews and being around the fans of the franchise. His seat was one row from the field and with his back turned to everyone. Atleast Jeter is in a suite, and Bruce Sherman I've seen walking around the concourse and eating at the Wendy's. (That was weird, almost as weird as finding him on the 836 driving a 2014 Chevy Malibu- didn't believe it until I saw him drive into his owners garage one day next to another owners Range Rover. 

As messed up as this is going to sound however, hindsight 20/20 that 400 Million Henry wanted was a steal compared to what the Current Stadium cost.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yes. But this purity test, this “Jeter is a carpetbagger”, is more about looking for reasons not to support the team. 

I think we’re learning a bit about why Miami has a reputation as a bad sports town. 

Every city could have that reputation though, for instance there was a poll that considered Miami the worst fans in the league, followed by the Yankees and Red Sox. Makes no sense. Both of those have rabid fan bases, and ours is just missing most the time.

The Jeter is a traitor thing is coming from NY, everyone I've spoken to in NY whose a Yankees fan considers him a traitor, and disowns him a little bit. They are upset he didn't try to buy into the Yankees.

Wouldn't surprise me 10 years from now to see Jeter trade his Marlins experience for pinstripes again. This just happened to be what was available when he was ready and in a really nice city. He wasn't going to Minnesota or Detroit.

27 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

The Jeter is a traitor thing is coming from NY, everyone I've spoken to in NY whose a Yankees fan considers him a traitor, and disowns him a little bit. They are upset he didn't try to buy into the Yankees.

I really don’t think that’s true.

I literally don’t know a single Yankee fan who thinks that.  Or who thinks that the Steinbrenners would ever sell him a controlling interest in the club.

Jeter wants to be an executive.  No surprise there.   And that will never happen with the Yankees; they offer an extensive “ambassador” employment program for former players but no actual jobs with actual responsibilities.   That means going elsewhere.

27 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

Every city could have that reputation though, for instance there was a poll that considered Miami the worst fans in the league, followed by the Yankees and Red Sox. Makes no sense. Both of those have rabid fan bases, and ours is just missing most the time.

I don’t know what internet poll you’re referring to, but you’re right.  That makes no sense. 

It also has no relevance to Miami's reputation as a bad sports town. 

51 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

Wouldn't surprise me 10 years from now to see Jeter trade his Marlins experience for pinstripes again. This just happened to be what was available when he was ready and in a really nice city. He wasn't going to Minnesota or Detroit.

How can Yankee fans be mad that Jeter didn’t try to buy the Yanks? The Yankees weren’t for sale. If they’re upset about that, then they are both uninformed and emotionally immature.

A MLB franchise is a huge asset. The only way I see Jeter going back to the Yankees is if A) His Marlins partners buy him out at a huge profit, and B ) he is offered a sizable stake in the Yankees at a discount and the Steinbrenners really have no reason to do that. We don’t even know if Jeter will be a good owner/ baseball franchise decision maker. Being a great player doesn’t automatically translate to being great in the front office. Michael Jordan with the Wizards is a great reminder of this.

I feel bad for Marlins fans because the Marlins have been terribley mismanaged. With that said, it appears that Jeter and Co. had a huge mess to clean up. I understand a lot of the moves they’ve made, but I honestly hope it doesn’t kill MLB in South Florida. 

1 hour ago, tubby34 said:

It's hard to buy into the Yankees if the Yankees don't want an investor.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah...I listen/watch pretty much every radio/tv show that's on in the tri-state area, and I have literally never heard a single fan call Jeter a traitor for going to Miami, nor have I met a single person who thinks that. In fact, it was viewed as a very expected and logical move based on everything he had ever said about his post-career ambitions.

Archived