MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

5 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

How can Yankee fans be mad that Jeter didn’t try to buy the Yanks? The Yankees weren’t for sale. If they’re upset about that, then they are both uninformed and emotionally immature.

They aren’t upset about that.  They really aren’t. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gehrig27 said:

Yeah...I listen/watch pretty much every radio/tv show that's on in the tri-state area, and I have literally never heard a single fan call Jeter a traitor for going to Miami, nor have I met a single person who thinks that. In fact, it was viewed as a very expected and logical move based on everything he had ever said about his post-career ambitions.

Yeah, I’m with you.  I just don’t think that claim is true. 

Marlins fans might see him as a carpetbagger, but that says much more about them.  No significant number of Yankee fans are upset at all that he went to Miami. 

I don't know a single Yankee fan who's upset with Jeter for going to Miami. I think we all understand why he wanted to, and I think most of us are glad that he's still involved in baseball in a meaningful capacity.

It's a shame that he won't be able to show up at Old Timers' Day or things like that, but that's small potatoes. There's no Yankee fans angry at Jeter over that.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Yeah, I’m with you.  I just don’t think that claim is true. 

Marlins fans might see him as a carpetbagger, but that says much more about them.  No significant number of Yankee fans are upset at all that he went to Miami. 

I wish fans would be more sparing/careful with the use of the word "carpetbagger." It's a bit of a loaded term, given its connection to Reconstruction and the post-Reconstruction fallout in the South.

8 hours ago, tubby34 said:

I feel like Loria got the crap end of the stick here to be honest. He partly deserved it for how he took over the Expos (he was right, but it was wrong), and my biggest gripe I ever had with him was the introduction of Black so heavily in 2003, then the orange promotions from 2005 on. Anyone with half a brain knew orange was going to be a new team color.

Huizinga destroyed the fanbase, Henry thought he could sneak in on the cheap and pick it up, and sailed off for greener pastures the first chance he could.

Loria played the long game. He took over in 2002 and kept fighting for 10 years to get that stadium when we were up for contraction, relocation and everything. I sincerely believe Loria never wanted to leave the Miami market and the only reason he sold was because of Jose Fernandez and how it devastated him emotionally.

Don't rehabilitate Jeffrey Loria.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jeffrey Loria is/was a scumbag. He's the reason the team is in its current state. A decade of playing cheap in the draft, meddling in player decisions, and supporting a terrible front office. He continually supported his step-son who alienated fans and the business community. He only owned the Marlins because MLB wanted him out as owner of the Expos and he threatened to sue.

Re: Marlins in orange:

I was 15!

1997 | 2003

12 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I wish fans would be more sparing/careful with the use of the word "carpetbagger." It's a bit of a loaded term, given its connection to Reconstruction and the post-Reconstruction fallout in the South.

Why, exactly?  It’s a very useful word.

And in this circumstance?  Sure seems to fit.  A literal Yankee travels down to the South to enrich himself by exploiting the local chaos he finds there, seeking positions and income he can’t secure in the North?  Yep, checks out.  :D 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Why, exactly?  It’s a very useful word.

And in this circumstance?  Sure seems to fit.  A literal Yankee travels down to the South to enrich himself by exploiting the local chaos he finds there, seeking positions and income he can’t secure in the North?  Yep, checks out.  :D 

Racial reasons, mostly. It’s got the uncomfortable subtext of “when you’re gone, we’ll get back to abusing non-whites and codify an apartheid state in law.” There’s also a bit of “War of Northern Agression” and “States’ Rights” coloring the use of the term.

It’s also a bit of hyperbole to compare a sports team’s operation to the abuses of Reconstruction.

18 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Racial reasons, mostly. It’s got the uncomfortable subtext of “when you’re gone, we’ll get back to abusing non-whites and codify an apartheid state in law.” There’s also a bit of “War of Northern Agression” and “States’ Rights” coloring the use of the term.

It’s also a bit of hyperbole to compare a sports team’s operation to the abuses of Reconstruction.

It's not that deep. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

He'll be here all week, folks?

2 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

It's not that deep. 

Yeah, sorry I overreacted. It’s the historian in me getting a little too strong. ?

I’d still recommend reading this bit from Eric Foner on the matter.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

You're not wrong. But in fairness, we're talking about the distrust of an actual Yankee by residents of a former Confederate state. I'd say the use of carpetbagger borders on poetry here. ?

In sports lexicon, I always thought a "carpetbagger" was just someone from out-of-town that bought a team from some area that he didn't care about and who never made any effort to be a part of the community or make the team good, either because he was using it strictly as a money-making venture, or because he just wanted to be in the "owner's club" by any means necessary and didn't care about the team.

Is that about right?  I honestly never knew it meant anything outside of sports.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, EvilChameleon said:

We should be seeing the 2019 All Star Game logo sometime this week, yes? Maybe even sometime this series.

It'll probably just have imagery from the stadium or city. I can't imagine them using anything to do with _____ _____.

11 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

In sports lexicon, I always thought a "carpetbagger" was just someone from out-of-town that bought a team from some area that he didn't care about and who never made any effort to be a part of the community or make the team good, either because he was using it strictly as a money-making venture, or because he just wanted to be in the "owner's club" by any means necessary and didn't care about the team.

Is that about right?  I honestly never knew it meant anything outside of sports.

1.  You're correct regarding the sports usage.  It's not a North-South thing at all in that context.

2.  What?!?!  You've never heard the original historic usage from the Reconstruction era?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

22 hours ago, EvilChameleon said:

We should be seeing the 2019 All Star Game logo sometime this week, yes? Maybe even sometime this series.

Something including Tower City would be excellent...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdVjNyVLU7w-4rrSsLZru

22 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Something including Tower City would be excellent...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdVjNyVLU7w-4rrSsLZru

I have a weird feeling it'll be something around a baseball and a guitar.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived