MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

4 minutes ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Take a look for yourselves, folks.

https://www.lids.com/mlb-players-weekend

I for one think these are an improvement. The use of the contrasting, dark brims this year is good. The use of 2 bright colors last year killed most of the looks that could have been decent. 

•  Phillies
  • Brewers
  • Rockies

The rest are fine.  No real terrible ones in there.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Take a look for yourselves, folks.

https://www.lids.com/mlb-players-weekend

I for one think these are an improvement. The use of the contrasting, dark brims this year is good. The use of 2 bright colors last year killed most of the looks that could have been decent. 

Yes agreed, there are differences from 2017.  The Padres appear to be using brown....im interested to see the jerseys.

23 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

There's a bunch of fans that want to see the Phillies go back to Maroon, but I actually think why not move to a lighter blue? This looks great and kind of combines the two Phillies World Series eras

Phillies in maroon and light blue would be perfect and differentiate them from the red/blue crowd.

25 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

There's a bunch of fans that want to see the Phillies go back to Maroon, but I actually think why not move to a lighter blue? This looks great and kind of combines the two Phillies World Series eras

I agree with you. I really like the alternate helmets Ole Miss has with red and lighter blue. The Ole Miss script looks so nice on them, and I think the Phillies script on light blue would look great, too.

11410855.jpeg

Add me to the mix of those who want to see the Phils in maroon (or at least a cardinal or crimson) and light blue. They may have a lot of history in red and blue, but much of that history was spent playing little brother to the A's. They came into their own as a franchise in maroon.

Philadelphia Phillies : News Photo

Philadelphia Phillies vs Atlanta Braves : News Photo

Philadelphia Phillies : News PhotoCincinnati Reds v Philadelphia Phillies : News Photo

Philadelphia Phillies v New York Mets : News Photo

I personally like straight maroon without any light blue. I agree with others that maroon was always a good look for them. This is what I remember as a kid. The 90's uniforms were cool at the time, and there weren't as many red uniforms as there is now with the addition of the Nats, Angels, Rangers, Twins, Indians since then. I don't think many would be upset over the switch back to maroon at this point.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:53 PM, Gothamite said:

What’s to LOL?  The light standards are a distinctive feature of the ballpark, very unique when introduced, and including them in event logos is kind of a no-brainer. 

The LOL is that they seem to be used in every Indians commemorative logo.  I guess they have no choice though since the PC police won't let them use anything related to the team's nickname.

2 hours ago, daveindc said:

[pictures removed for space]

I personally like straight maroon without any light blue. I agree with others that maroon was always a good look for them. This is what I remember as a kid. The 90's uniforms were cool at the time, and there weren't as many red uniforms as there is now with the addition of the Nats, Angels, Rangers, Twins, Indians since then. I don't think many would be upset over the switch back to maroon at this point.

Unfortunately, the Phillies have basically adopted light blue as a throwback color, so I don't think the gray and maroon roads will ever see the light of day again. It's a shame, too, because they are better than the powder blues.

Light blue is a terrible color for the Phillies - especially when mixed with their current red.

It's never been an official color for them, and shouldn't appear on any merch outside of throwback jerseys.

The internet wasn't around back when they wore maroon, but believe me - those uniforms weren't popular, and the overwhelming reaction when they changed was extremely positive.  I think the new (I still consider it new since I grew up with the maroon) set didn't age well, but considering that the maroon set was designed to be worn skin tight and high cuffed as was the style of the day as opposed to baggy long pantsed look we saw today, it's better off in the past.  It was also designed to coincide with the opening of "futuristic" astroturf multi-purposed Vet.  While I'm not a big fan of the current look, there's no reason to bring back the 70s/80s. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the burgundy uniforms were okay, but they're pretty dreary-looking compared to the more brighter colors the team uses now. Plus, the Phillies are currently the only team in baseball that uses red (prominently) and royal blue. If they used blue more then you could argue about them being like the Cubs or Rangers, but they don't... Color-wise? They're by themselves.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Light blue is a terrible color for the Phillies - especially when mixed with their current red.

It's never been an official color for them, and shouldn't appear on any merch outside of throwback jerseys.

The internet wasn't around back when they wore maroon, but believe me - those uniforms weren't popular, and the overwhelming reaction when they changed was extremely positive.  I think the new (I still consider it new since I grew up with the maroon) set didn't age well, but considering that the maroon set was designed to be worn skin tight and high cuffed as was the style of the day as opposed to baggy long pantsed look we saw today, it's better off in the past.  It was also designed to coincide with the opening of "futuristic" astroturf multi-purposed Vet.  While I'm not a big fan of the current look, there's no reason to bring back the 70s/80s. 

Was maroon really unpopular? I remember the current uniforms being popular when they first appeared because bright red wasn't as common and the number on the sleeve was unique, but were people clamoring for new uniforms prior to the change?

7 hours ago, Whitesox572 said:

The LOL is that they seem to be used in every Indians commemorative logo.  I guess they have no choice though since the PC police won't let them use anything related to the team's nickname.

We need a yawn emoticon.  Until then I guess :rolleyes: will have to do. 

Archived