MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

5 hours ago, RichO said:

The only workable way forward using imagery would be a Spokane Indians approach and partner with a tribe or tribes with roots in NE Ohio and have the tribes drive the boundaries for the use of imagery.,

But Wahoo people want their awful cartoon. There's really no compromise with that.

This is easier said than done. Which tribe has jurisdiction? Do they want a baseball team representing them? I live in Champaign Illinois where Chief Illiniwek was a beloved mascot for the Univeraity of Illinois. Many residents and alumni want the Chief restored, but the U of I was unable and now unwilling to create a relationship with a regional tribe the same way Florida State did with the Seminoles so the Chief had to go. The university has been very clear, 10.5 years after banning Chief Illiniwek, that the Chief is part of the past but not the future.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

This is easier said than done. Which tribe has jurisdiction? Do they want a baseball team representing them? I live in Champaign Illinois where Chief Illiniwek was a beloved mascot for the Univeraity of Illinois. Many residents and alumni want the Chief restored, but the U of I was unable and now unwilling to create a relationship with a regional tribe the same way Florida State did with the Seminoles so the Chief had to go. The university has been very clear, 10.5 years after banning Chief Illiniwek, that the Chief is part of the past but not the future.

Historians and anthropologists exist. Who was killed and driven from the region can be figured out. Honest efforts can be made to find successor(s).  If they want to do it right, they can pursue it. You can't force anyone into a partnership, as Illinois knows, but making the effort at all is a choice. 

And like Illinois, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. Whether it's not having some suburban kid basically do a minstrel show, or not having a racist af cartoon logo.

On 10/25/2017 at 1:35 AM, Quillz said:

I think what the Rangers should do is be a red team at home, and a blue team on the road. If you're gonna have both colors, take it to the logical extreme, I think. I remember when the Red Sox dropped nearly all red when going on the road, and had either a navy blue or a gray. I can't recall if they still do this, but it was kind of neat, and wouldn't mind seeing the Rangers do something similar.

I agree. I don't like when teams have their location on all their jerseys, including at home. (Looking at you, Marlins). I'm okay with the other way around (i.e. having the team name on the road jersey). I dislike the Rangers doing this, but it has nothing do with them being "bad" or "good."

If there's a wordmark on the jersey, it should be team name on home and city name on away.  Logos can be used to get around this.  The Dodgers I'd say are the only one's I'd grandfather in if they want to go that route.  And if you want an alt, just go the extra mile.  The Twins did it.  Why can't everyone else?

On 10/28/2017 at 8:07 PM, the admiral said:

I still hate the word "problematic." It's so wishy-washy and passive-aggressive. If ever there were a word tailor-made for exaggerated vocal fry, "problematic" is it.

It's useful to differentiate between outright malicious racism and something which accidentally just kind of doesn't look or sound right.  The problem is when people persecute the latter as if it were the former.

On 10/29/2017 at 8:43 PM, daveindc said:

Looks like an On-Field cap looking at these pics: (Click the arrow that appears on the right of the image to scroll through)

Is Buck groping Wonder Woman in those pictures?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Royals with a 50 year patch. 

Instead  of adding the patch to the right sleeve,  they have removed their logo patch,

and just placed it there. Don´t like that at all, Royals needs their primary logo on the sleeve.

I  hope this does not become a trend. 

ff_2968646alt4_full.jpg&w=600

ff_2968646alt2_full.jpg&w=600

2 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Seems odd. Unless maybe they figured since it had the KC logo in the patch it would be redundant to have it on both sleeves? Maybe they are expecting to make the playoffs and want to leave a sleeve open for that patch? 

Right, keep that sleeve open for that 2018 World Series patch   ;)

10 minutes ago, jerseyjunk said:

Royals with a 50 year patch. 

Instead  of adding the patch to the right sleeve,  they have removed their logo patch,

and just placed it there. Don´t like that at all, Royals needs their primary logo on the sleeve.

I  hope this does not become a trend. 

ff_2968646alt4_full.jpg&w=600

ff_2968646alt2_full.jpg&w=600

The Padres did the same with their ASG patch in 2016.

3 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The Padres did the same with their ASG patch in 2016.

I see, but the Marlins did not this year. So it´s pretty random?

Btw, what sleeve patch did the Padres use in 16, they are one of the most confusing  teams. always changing 

Just now, jerseyjunk said:

I see, but the Marlins did not this year. So it´s pretty random?

Btw, what sleeve patch did the Padres use in 16, they are one of the most confusing  teams. always changing 

The All-Star Game one. It replaced two different logos: the throwback Friar and one with an illustration of Petco.

25 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The All-Star Game one. It replaced two different logos: the throwback Friar and one with an illustration of Petco.

Right, i understand what you mean. But the Padres are the worst example, those fools are changing uniform every year it seems 

I don´t mind paying extra for a jersey if it has an additional sleeve patch.

But this jersey is $267

ff_2336565_full.jpg&w=340

This one is $282

ff_2968646_full.jpg&w=340

Perhaps  just a yearly increase, but still, i want anniversary patches to be a separate patch, not incorporated into the primary logo

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

Seems odd. Unless maybe they figured since it had the KC logo in the patch it would be redundant to have it on both sleeves? Maybe they are expecting to make the playoffs and want to leave a sleeve open for that patch? 

They've learned from the Angels what not to do.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

They've learned from the Angels what not to do.

Exactly. The anniversary patch has the KC logo featured in it. Why have redundancy? Also, there won't be any patch mashup for the All-Star Game or any other event that might come up in 2018.  

17 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned that it appears to be a traditional embroidered patch and not a plastic metallic looking iron on. 

Have any individual teams opted for the Chromaflex or whatever they're called over embroidered patches? As far as I can recall, MLB has only used them for special event patches.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

The Mets did it in 2012 for their 50th anniversary, although theirs looked a lot more like the regular logo so it made sense. Also in 2013 for the All Star game. I dont recall any other teams previously doing it this way. They also had no illusions of grandeur about playoffs that year lol

22095b_lg.jpeg

8185451154_fa27773a46_o.png

Archived