ANGELCAT-IDA61

MLB changes 2018?

The manufacturer / advertiser question is legit though.  There was a lot of news, then it just kinda fizzled out.

Did Nike officially sign the deal to replace UA?  If so, when does their ad start appearing on jerseys?

As we all know, Cleveland is getting rid of Chief Wahoo next year.  There was a bit of a preview Thursday night in Toronto as they took him off their uniforms.  A couple years ago for the ALCS, there was a failed challenge against them to prevent them from using Wahoo or even being called the Indians.95296dbc77063024ccafa6b998284278

21 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Are blind people gonna come to the park to watch the Orioles play in those Braille jerseys? 

Fans that have to watch the Orioles this year already wish they were blind anyway.

On 9/6/2018 at 12:17 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

The manufacturer / advertiser question is legit though.  There was a lot of news, then it just kinda fizzled out.

Did Nike officially sign the deal to replace UA?  If so, when does their ad start appearing on jerseys?

Doesn't seem official official just yet. Most reports are from May and they all say is Nike "reportedly" takes over deal after UA left.  

Was this cap ever used on field, batting practice or spring training?ff_2260259alt3_full.jpg&w=900

It's billed as New Era Cincinnati Reds 2T Patched Low Profile 59FIFTY Fitted Hat. Or is it a fashion cap?

1 hour ago, jrodsep said:

It's billed as New Era Cincinnati Reds 2T Patched Low Profile 59FIFTY Fitted Hat. Or is it a fashion cap?

Fashion hat.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:14 AM, M4One said:

95296dbc77063024ccafa6b998284278

I think this is the worst uniform in baseball. 

4 hours ago, Ark said:

It's so drab, maybe flipping the Red and Blue or with a white outline instead. 

On 9/7/2018 at 8:12 AM, Matito said:

Fans that have to watch the Orioles this year already wish they were blind anyway.

I know that Orioles blind jokes are low-hanging fruit, but I've avoided the comparison.  Nobody "wishes they were blind." Instead, us Orioles fans change the channel and find something else to watch instead.

18 hours ago, Ark said:

Not even close. Not so long as the Arizona Diamondbacks insist on wearing their monstrosities. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Not even close. Not so long as the Arizona Diamondbacks insist on wearing their monstrosities. 

Or the Padres with their outdated font with equally uninspired uniforms. At least Cleveland has a timeless font and non-white outlines.

37 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Or the Padres with their outdated font with equally uninspired uniforms. At least Cleveland has a timeless font and non-white outlines.

Indeed.   I’d take “boring and timeless” over “exciting and instantly dated” any day. 

On 9/11/2018 at 1:29 PM, Ark said:

IMO, it is boring but boring can never be the worst. The worst is definitely the Diamondbacks.

The Yankees and Dodgers are "boring" in the sense that their uniforms are not flashy, but they both have timeless looks. Simple is the classic aesthetic of baseball. I'd call that Cleveland uniform inoffensive, and I don't just mean in the political context.  

I mean... Gray uniforms pretty much all suck. Not an excuse for how boring that look would is/be, but as long as it says Cleveland I'm not too bothered by it because the whites and alternates are far more important to a modern baseball identity. 

That being said, I'd like to see red text to liven it up a bit, plus a white stroke on the C, and we'll see what they do logo-wise next year. Not sure why they don't slap a C on the sleeve in Toronto like they do with holiday uniforms.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Plain and boring is not the same as simple and timeless. 

No, it's not.

For my part, I was conceding that some people found a timeless design "boring" because I still think it's preferable to following the latest temporary fad.

8 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Plain and boring is not the same as simple and timeless. 

This is simple/timeless:

95296dbc77063024ccafa6b998284278

Simple block fonts, an uncomplicated template design, and making use of the team's traditional/complete color scheme.

This is plain/boring/dated:

padres-2017-f.png

The petcopark.ttf font that looks so 2004 and the neglect of the team's popular historic color schemes (brown/yellow, navy/orange, and navy/sand) make it dull. A more timeless, yet ornate font (e.g., a rounded slab-serif font, cursive scripts, etc.) and a more exciting color scheme (in line with their history) would be better. I'm not going to comment on the bowtie wordmark, as I'm one of the few people who thinks it's not too bad.

The Reds wore their red alternates on the road for what I think is the first time ever. They've only ever worn it for home day games. 

9e61b0cd-045f-42cf-b2fd-ece1331c85bc-USA5b9eecdfb3476.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

This is basically what they wear in spring training road games so seeing red tops on those gray pants isn't a first. What's new is the breaking the home/road jersey distinction barrier.  Not sure if this will be a regular thing moving forward or if it's just trying to change things up late in another lost season. I kind of hope they keep it as a home day game jersey and don't become one of those teams that wears their alternates as much or more as their primaries.